Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid march resort thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
So im going with a few guys to Geneva airport in mid march, we are looking for:

1. A ski resort that is close by - 90 mins or less
2. We are advanced snowboarders and some beginner\inter skiers, we dont need anything ridiculous just 2 days cruising about really, but at least 1 or 2 beginner runs for the skiers.
3. Decent nightlife and apres
4. Ideally ski to town but looking at the options i dont see anything considering current conditons

Resorts ive looked at are:

1. Flaine - good for ski to town as the town is high, nightlife not amazing but we could live with it, downside is the accom is too expensive and limited for the time we are there.
2. La Clusaz - decent snow higher up, looking at webcams would need to get lifts back to town, nightlife seems decent enough, hotel options good too
3. Courmayeur - Looks like limited slops for beginners
4. Avoriaz - looks good overall but there is a snowboxx festival on so no accomodation options
5. Chamonix - probably overall the best option, good ngihtlife, close to geneva and plenty of options for going to different areas with good height but im a bit unsure on the suitability for beginner skiers

Any other thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morzine / Avoriaz = middle aged boys trip central (however we are now bored of this due to silly testosterone levels in certain bars)

Alpe D'Heuz / La Plagne? Saying that if it keeps snowing like it has been try Italy / Sauze D'Oulx instead (Turin not Geneva)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Belch, oooh - which bars are those?? Cavern/Tibetan?

@gazkane, you could stay in Morzine, ski Avoriaz would work (and lots of accomm options). One bus from town to the Prodains lift that drops you in Avoriaz, one short (but horrifically slow) chair from there to the beginners area, plenty of options to head further afield for the more advanced in the team.

But could be busy with Snowboxxers (although we were there the same week last year and I think they must all have slept all day as we didn’t see any).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Alpe D'Heuz / La Plagne? Saying that if it keeps snowing like it has been try Italy / Sauze D'Oulx instead (Turin not Geneva)

Are these not quite a bit further than 90 mins? We have a midday flight home so was hoping to avoid a super early transfer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gazkane, From memory, Turin > Sauze is about 1hr.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, you are right it is, ive been before and its quick. Unfortunately, as mentioned, we are going to Geneva airport as there are limited options for flights where we live.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morzine or Les Gets sounds good to me. La Plagne and ALP D too far.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Gets and Morzine are both brown fields at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kramer, the home runs are but Avoriaz and Chatel very much aren’t. And more snow due next week with a bit of luck. For the OP’s requirements of close to GVA, decent nightlife and some (fairly) high altitude skiing Morzine (not LG) is a decent bet - it won’t be the best skiing, but it’ll be ok, and the variety of beer options and proximity to Geneva are both good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gazkane, Yes apols my lack of more recent French adventures forgot that they were 2hrs+. Personally would suck up the longer transfer for better snow but each to their own! We are doing Tignes (for a change) last week in March and I'll be kipping all 3.5hrs of dull transfer!

Always skied Avoriaz but preferred to stay in Morzone with the vill etc - how about Le Grand Massive area but lower down and lift it upwards; other than that surely Chamonix is the only other realistic choice?

@andy from embsay, Morzine has gone to the more 'feral' 50somethings who think they are 25 lol!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Belch, we tend not to frequent Tibetan/Cavern etc these days, but Crepu, Haka, Local etc are good for a pint and haven’t noticed any bad behaviour (other than one or two seasonaires later on who may have overdone it a bit…).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gazkane,
With a short transfer are you looking to arrive in resort lunchtime & ski/board afternoon, the ski/board morning of departure? If not then transfer time then transfer time doesn't really matter.
Don't know if your beginners will get much out of two days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The short transfer is mainly because we arrive in to Geneva late (7pm) and depart at midday. So it’s really just 2 days in the middle due to flight times. I’d rather not get up at 5am for the transfer homeward.

As for the beginners, they have skied before but I wouldn’t call them intermediates.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gazkane, Conditions in that region are tragic this year as you have probably realised.

Personally, I would aim for Verbier - at least they have some decent slopes high up. If there's a group of you then a cab will only take 2 hours if that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Accommodation for such as short trip is bound to be more expensive, and scarce.
For such a short trip the cheapest transfer option could well be renting a car. Cars for a few days are cheap, but transfers for a few days cost the same as they would for a month.
snow report
Personally I would go to Chamonix. Send the beginners to Les Houches and the more experienced to Argentierre.
snow report
gazkane wrote:
The short transfer is mainly because we arrive in to Geneva late (7pm) and depart at midday. So it’s really just 2 days in the middle due to flight times. I’d rather not get up at 5am for the transfer homeward.

As for the beginners, they have skied before but I wouldn’t call them intermediates.

What days of the week are your flights?
ski holidays
I'd say Morzine would suit you down to the ground - though with Avoriaz lessons/ski passes rather than Morzine-Les Gets ones.

Staying in Morzine does mean a (simple, regular, free) bus between town and the Prodains gondola at each end of the day but gives you a much wider range of accomodation/bars/restaurants.
Skiing up in Avoriaz gives you more height than the Morzine-Les Gets which could be rather dicy come mid-March this season, but make it easy for you to all meet up for lunch, etc.

Can't say I'd say Morzine is particulary/gotten any more testosterone filled - and I'm usually there 2 weeks/season. Skiing's always a big sausage heavy and the Tibetan always full of middle aged people - but if you want a quieter beer just go the the Bec Juane or Robbo's instead.
snow report
If you’ve considered Courmayer, have you thought of La Thuile? Only half an hour further by bus and lots of choice for all… may not work with your flight times though.
snow report
MotownJunk wrote:
If you’ve considered Courmayer, have you thought of La Thuile? Only half an hour further by bus and lots of choice for all… may not work with your flight times though.

Good thought. Google maps is saying 1 hour 40 mins by car.

I was there a couple of weeks back. Even before the recent snow conditions were good higher up.
ski holidays
Any timings for journeys involving the MB tunnel should be treated with caution.
latest report
gazkane wrote:

No idea on availability but Le Châble would give you easy access to Verbier where the skiing is currently fantastic. It’s 2:15 by train so you’re looking at a 7:45 train to get to the airport by 10:00. Last train out is 21:19 which gives you a couple of hours margin for a delayed flight. Your beginners can go straight to La Chaux and the good riders wî’ be spoilt for choice. The gondola runs until midnight so for après/dinner you’ve got the choice of the bright lights in Verbier or something more relaxed in Le Chable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy