Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carriage on indirect flights

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking into flights for Saalbach region next year feb half term. Usually fly to Munich and then drive, but this half term took 3+ hours due to traffic and closed routes. Also, prices for next year are pretty steep already but I saw some decent priced indirect flights with Lufthansa with a 1hr30m interchange in FFT and second flight to Saltzburg. I was wondering whether this would be doable, particularly as we are bringing our skis with us and I am worried they may miss the transfer. Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should be okay. The chance of your skis not making onto your connecting flight is no more than your normal checked bags. I flew connecting flights with my skis before from LHR to RNO via LAX with Delta and it was fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming you are a UK Traveller

I always thought that you could only check luggage through to 'port of Entry' which may be considered Frankfurt for mainland europe (perhaps).

Munich is about 2.5 hours anyway from Saalbach as I recall so and extra 1 hour at 'peaktime' isn't that bad anyway, Its about 1.5 hours from Salzburg airport to Saalbach (maybe more at half term) so with the 1.5hr layover in Frankfurt (FRA) that's 3 hours. Kind of the same but with more worry and stress.

FFT by the way is Frankfurt Kentucky, which is a longer transfer to Saalbach.

Personally, I'd stay with the tried and tested flight plan. Traffic will be pretty bad wherever you fly to.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The chance of your skis not making onto your connecting flight is no more than your normal checked bags.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. In fact bags not making connecting flights is not uncommon, especially if the transfer time is short.

1.5 hours is not a whole lot of time for transfer. All it takes is a delay on the first flight and you will be rushing. I agree with bob you are potentially adding stress and worry for not a whole lot of time saved.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@prthomas, i fly Lufthansa regularly, almost always indirect. I've not yet had my skis not make the transfer. I do avoid really short transfer times though (1.5 hours is about the lowest I'd feel comfortable with).

How confident are you that the times will not change between booking and actually flying? Schedules seem to change very regularly these days so that 1.5 hours might become 3, or <1.

If the total travel time driving from Munich or flying on to Salzburg and then driving from there is similar, I would go with @Bob's view and just drive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like this would cost you more time than you gain, with a lot of additional faff.

For example a direct flight from LHR to MUC is about 2h, whereas to SZG via FRA is 4h with a 1.5h layover (additional time spent taking off, landing, circling, taxiing), etc). The drive from Salzburg to Saalbach is about 1h shorter than from Munich. So you would need at least 1h of traffic delays to break even.

If you want to avoid traffic you could fly out Friday evening to Munich and stay at a cheap hotel near the airport, and head out first thing in the morning. Gives an additional day of skiing too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Indirect flight to Innsbruck via Amsterdam, we actually saw the handlers remove our board bags from the plane and load polystyrene boxes marked "live fish" in their place. Very fishy, flight crew were not interested.

Turned up at the resort two days later.

Another indirect flight to Vancouver, board bags never arrived full stop.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimboS wrote:
Indirect flight to Innsbruck via Amsterdam, we actually saw the handlers remove our board bags from the plane and load polystyrene boxes marked "live fish" in their place. Very fishy, flight crew were not interested.

Never mind the pollocks... Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
JimboS wrote:

Never mind the pollocks... Sad

There a time and a plaice for that. NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bob wrote:
Assuming you are a UK Traveller

I always thought that you could only check luggage through to 'port of Entry' which may be considered Frankfurt for mainland europe (perhaps).

Not the case, just incase anyone else hasn't pointed it out
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends how Frankfurt is functioning. I’ve had 20min connection (due to incoming delay) and my bags made it. I’ve had a 2hr 10 connection and they didnt because they had no staff and it was a poo-poo show.
You pays your money you takes your chance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I should have stated at the start that the flights are £800 less for SZG (for 5 people) so pretty significant saving. I will take a look and see if there are any other options to expand the layover time to make the interchange safer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimboS wrote:

Not to carp on about it, this worries me as I'm about to transit through Schiphol with skis. Am hoping I won't have to trawl through lost luggage...

...I'll get my coat...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1.5 hours is too short in my opinion, we leave it fine, but not that fine. Have twice very nearly not made it on a longer buffer than that at Helsinki and Hamburg. It only takes a delay in the UK, commonplace on busy days and you’re left FLOUNDERing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy