Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Hawk Ultra 110S Forward cant

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 110S boots which I find to be pretty good. Bought new early 2020 pre Covid cancellations.
They have a somewhat touted forward cant adjustment between 13°, 15°(default) and 17°.
However, in my case I find it might be a case of can't as I simply cannot get them to the 17° forward pitch.
13° and the insert added is no problem.
I just fancied giving a more aggressive stance "a go".
I totally fail to see how the 17° position can be attained.
Can anyone shed any light? (Or is it just me?)
The little manual is as good as useless and no help found online.
It's a fair trip to EBs where I bought them.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-08-23 13:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Beltedgalloway2015, I have a pair of Atomic Hawks from about 4 years ago. It was a case of loosening the screw at the back of the boot with an allen key and then sliding the piece of plastic downwards. It takes a bit of force and then you tighten the screw again. All it seems to do is tilt the cuff over a bit. But i found going from 13 to 15 made a slight positive difference for me, in that I felt more comfortable with the boots. Can't say it improved my skiing much!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Beltedgalloway2015, loosen the bolts in the back right off (very loose not just a couple of turns) put the boot on its toe at about 45degrees and push the top of the cuff forward hard, it really is difficult to move it, always handy to have a friend who can tighten a bolt while you hold it in the forward position

the first question i always ask when someone wants to do this is why? giving it a go is one thing but what needs to be considered is the real reason that the power shift was put on the boots (i was quite heavily involved with the development of this) it was put onto the boot not specifically to give a more or less aggressive stance, but to allow adjustment for differing biomechanical constraints and calf muscle sizes

an average ski boot with 14degrees of forward lean is designed to accept a calf muscle of 13-14inches in circumference, when the calf muscle is bigger or smaller than it can put you out of balance, for a larger calf muscle (or for someone who has limited ankle joint range of motion) we often move the boot more upright (13degrees) the only time i would consider moving the boot forward to the 17degree position for a recreational skier is if they had a very skinny lower leg and or excessive range of motion at the ankle, without at least one of those two traits the skier becomes pretty fatigued pretty quickly

there are the anomalies who love it, but for the most part, it is too aggressive for recreational skiing..... if you want to feel what it is like without having the hassle of moving it and then moving it back get a piste map or something about 4-5mm thick and jam it between the cuff of the boot and the rear of the liner, this will give a simulation of the more aggressive stance

hope that helps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CEM, titter
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They do have skinny lower legs. Well, skinny compared to the rest of them.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for this.
I actually do have EXTREMELY skinny ankles and can only dream of 13/14" calves...
I have already tried albeit solo exerting brute force and simply cannot achieve the 17° setting. The lower bolt (only 1 fitted) sits in a blistered/bulged/swaged mount, i.e. it is not flush smooth and the outer power flex spine cuff snags on it when trying to achieve 17° position. Going for 13°, the gap widens and no strain required to achieve this. I shall no doubt try to see if the boot fitters in Ellie Bs can show me the error of my attempted ways. Failing that the low tech piste map shimming it is. That really does defeat the alleged feature of the boot though.

loosen the bolts in the back right off (very loose not just a couple of turns) put the boot on its toe at about 45degrees and push the top of the cuff forward hard, it really is difficult to move it, always handy to have a friend who can tighten a bolt while you hold it in the forward position

the first question i always ask when someone wants to do this is why? giving it a go is one thing but what needs to be considered is the real reason that the power shift was put on the boots (i was quite heavily involved with the development of this) it was put onto the boot not specifically to give a more or less aggressive stance, but to allow adjustment for differing biomechanical constraints and calf muscle sizes

an average ski boot with 14degrees of forward lean is designed to accept a calf muscle of 13-14inches in circumference, when the calf muscle is bigger or smaller than it can put you out of balance, for a larger calf muscle (or for someone who has limited ankle joint range of motion) we often move the boot more upright (13degrees) the only time i would consider moving the boot forward to the 17degree position for a recreational skier is if they had a very skinny lower leg and or excessive range of motion at the ankle, without at least one of those two traits the skier becomes pretty fatigued pretty quickly

there are the anomalies who love it, but for the most part, it is too aggressive for recreational skiing..... if you want to feel what it is like without having the hassle of moving it and then moving it back get a piste map or something about 4-5mm thick and jam it between the cuff of the boot and the rear of the liner, this will give a simulation of the more aggressive stance

hope that helps[/quote]
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beltedgalloway2015 wrote:
Thanks for this.
I actually do have EXTREMELY skinny ankles and can only dream of 13/14" calves...
I have already tried albeit solo exerting brute force and simply cannot achieve the 17° setting. The lower bolt (only 1 fitted) sits in a blistered/bulged/swaged mount, i.e. it is not flush smooth and the outer power flex spine cuff snags on it when trying to achieve 17° position. Going for 13°, the gap widens and no strain required to achieve this. I shall no doubt try to see if the boot fitters in Ellie Bs can show me the error of my attempted ways. Failing that the low tech piste map shimming it is. That really does defeat the alleged feature of the boot though.

You haven't answered the question of why you think you need to do this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
Thanks for this.

You haven't answered the question of why you think you need to do this.

probably because he has EXTREMELY skinny calves, but we don't know about the available ROM

#theinternetcantfityourboots
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In theory or the marketing bumff changing the cant from 13º to15º or to 17º should be simple.
So why not try to see if an alternative position better suits?
I already do have to bend ze kneez to get my shin onto the tongue liner.
My original post was about how to achieve this and simply trying the more aggressive position whilst not trying to portray myself as a downhill racer in 140 boots and on DIN20.
It was supposed to be an easy adjustment for a quick appraisal and probably reset back to 17º.
FYI EXTREMELY is 8" ankle and 10" calf at top buckle. I think my range of motion and flexibility is not bad.
An old but pretty fit 64 years young and wishing to enjoy my skiing to the fullest while I still can. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In theory or the marketing bumff changing the cant from 13º to15º or to 17º should be simple.
So why not try to see if an alternative position better suits?
I already do have to bend ze kneez to get my shin onto the tongue liner.
My original post was about how to achieve this and simply trying the more aggressive position whilst not trying to portray myself as a downhill racer in 140 boots and on DIN20.
It was supposed to be an easy adjustment for a quick appraisal and probably reset back to 17º.
FYI EXTREMELY is 8" ankle and 10" calf at top buckle. I think my range of motion and flexibility is not bad.
An old but pretty fit 64 years young and wishing to enjoy my skiing to the fullest while I still can. Madeye-Smiley

first thing i would be doing is having a wrap of material of some soft put around that liner to fill up some space, regardless of where you put the cuff unless that volume is filled your leg will be rattling around in the boot

the cuff not moving forward is nothing to do with the blistered/bulged/swaged mount as you call it, it is purely how you are doing it, yes it is difficult as so few people use it, the alternative was to make it easier to do that but there are down sides to having play in the cuff so they chose this option. the forward lean like most adjustments of this nature are designed to be set up in the shop once and then not adjusted, but based on the fact that wasn't done, and you have a 10" circumference calf the boot was never set up for you properly, unfortunately this is fairly common, frustrating to the boot fitters but this is why we defend what we do so vigorously, as so many people aren't giving you the best service

as it is difficult for you to do it, i was suggesting the piste maps/beer mats /similar packing purely as a simple way to check if you preferred the position , if you did then you can spend the time either changing how you make the adjustment or having someone make the adjustment for you
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds time to buy new boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy