Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Goggles...

Poster: A snowHead
Just remembered that I got fed up with not wearing my specs last winter with my goggles (and not being able to see sod all!) and I meant to search out prescription ones but have put it off.

I read in STUFF magazine that Vision Express does the Addida Yodai/Robin goggles (very cool) with a prescription lens, but can't find this option on its website.

Anyone got goggles to replace their glasses while on the slopes and if so, what are they like (are they as good as your usual specs), and where did you get them?

I currently have some Bolle gogs that are really comfortable and I'd prefer to have traditional goggles rather than the sunglasses types you can get.

Also, what lenses doe everyone reckjona re the best all-rounders? I have a pair with red/pink lense that sem to work well when it's a bit of a whiteout but have just worn standard amber/smoke sunglesses the rest of the time when it's been bright.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rudy Project to an optical insert for their goggles (their Klonyx model I think). Try Sports Spex for info.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, try www.isyte.com - know their stuff. I use them for prescription oakley (sunglasses) but remember the lady talked a lot about the goggle options. I'm told Oakley are working on a goggle lens that doesn't require inserts for prescription... ie it'll look just like a normal lens. cool.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, that will be cool. Thought there'd be a more 'advanced' option with prescription goggles than an insert. May just dig out my old NHS-style glasses and wear my gogs over the top -= not bothered about breaking those, as they're old and inexpensive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, Bolle do a clip in insert to fit their goggles that can be glazed to your prescription. You might be able to hang onto your current ones and just invest in the insert.

For my part, having investigated all sorts of options for prescription goggles I finally plumped for Focus Dailies contacts....my prescription can't quite be matched, but they're perfectly acceptable (if a little fuzzy) for skiing and the occasional posh event. Daily disposables are absolutely fine for occasional wear on holidays, I wouldn't be without mine....in fact I just went back for a check up and to buy next seasons supply yesterday!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, **** me! After looking at those prices I'm sticking to wearing glases under my goggles.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, firstly, thanks for the offer... err, what gender are you? You only get one pair of eyes so take a deep breath and hand over the plastic.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, will check the Bolle ones.

How much are the contact lenses for say a weeks worth?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, **** in surprise and alarm. At £80 for the goggles and the same again for the insert I'll stick with my current system, it's hard to understand why they cost so much when a prescrition dive mask can be bought for £80 all in. Fortunately I've never had a problem with fogging although I understand others have I find that any mist build up goes as soon as I start moving.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i have a contact for pescription inserts, anyone can pm me about this
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If possible wear daily disposible contacts, that's what I do.

Benefits:

1) Wear any goggles you like, no need for possibly expensive and limited choice of prescription lenses/goggles.

2) Wear any sunglasses you like, no need for ......(above)

3) No need to put on glasses when I take off goggles/sunglasses for lunch at mountain cafe

4) I keep lenses in for the whole day so the problem of glasses steaming up as I go from bar to bar during apres ski is avoided.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PisteHead, Mr L uses daily disposables, finds them the best/cheapest solution for someone who habitually wears glasses but doesn't want to board in them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, My supply of daily disposables are really useful, for football, camping, beach holidays, going out, ocassions, etc.

The thought of doing a face plant when skiing with glasses under OTG style goggles is potentially dangerous and expensive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These lot are based on the other side of the pond but will post to UK. I've not used them personally.

http://www.ski-n-see.com/

I have the Bolle insert in my Bolle goggles, far more comfortable than wearing OTG goggles. I only need a mild prescription so I am fine in mountain restaurants just to take the goggles off.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
www.spex4less.com do inserts for Bolle goggles for £30. Bought some in March and am very happy with them.
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:

I buy mine in Switzerland. I remember in the UK the cheapest way to get them is a bit of a con, making you sign up for a 12 month supply.

If you have an Asda near you I think they charge £12 for 25 lenses, so if you are lucky enough to need the same prescription each eye it's pretty cheap.

A naughty but even cheaper way is to visit a couple of opticians and get a few sample packs, enough to cover your hols!!! The downside is the marketing and not getting used to wearing them...
snow report
Specialman wrote:

I have ordered from http://www.visiondirect.co.uk/section.php?xSec=15&jssCart=8c1aa9aed47863dbaa67a06a8777da32

The Acuvues I use are currently 29 quid + delivery for 60 contacts so at about 1 quid per pair/per day it's cheap.

Simple and efficient, just select the type you want and then enter your prescription for each eye. Fast delivery times, no contract and no requirement to have order approved by an optician or anyone else.

First go to an optician for a free trial so that you know what make is suitable for your eyes then order online if you get on with them. It's cheeky but you'll save yourself money and only buy as much as you need when you need them.
latest report
Specialman wrote:

I've just paid £35 for a months supply, well worth every penny! The more you buy the cheaper they get.....but I only use about 3 months worth a year so it's not worth bulk buying.

The last quote I got for glazing an insert was £50, plus the cost of the clip itself, so a months supply of contacts is pretty good value.
snow report
Specialman, I used optical inserts for the first time last winter and thought they were fantastic. I'm short-sighted, normally wear glasses and used contacts for skiing. Frankly, I got fed up with the irritation caused by contacts and hassle of sometimes having to change them halfway through the day. The inserts are easy to put in, take out and clean and my sight was as clear as it is with my glasses. I couldn't see the rim of the inserts and theyr'e so unobtrusive you aren't even aware that you're using them.

I'm pretty sure it was Vision Express where I got them (I remember the store, just have forgotten the name above the door) and can have a look if you like.
latest report
Can you use the same prescription as for glasses? I wondered if they might be further away from your eyes, and therefore need to be a bit different? I wear vision correcting specs under goggles, usually without much problem, but my husband struggles with them as his glasses are a lot bigger. He does daily disposable contacts, but isn't very comfortable in them. I'd like to get him some prescription goggles for Christmas - though he's so short sighted he'd need to have specs to wear in the restaurant at lunch time or he'd be knocking people over! He had a prescription dive mask, years ago, which was fine.
snow conditions
Same prescription for insert as for glasses, no problem. I forgot to add that
Quote:

http://www.ski-n-see.com/

do goggles where the prescription is actually integrated into the goggle, so not an insert as such. So cheaper as you don't have to buy the insert, and even less chance of misting.
latest report
Think I may go for the contacts option. I play footy too (as a keeper) so I'm always moaning about not being able to see properly so I may try some out this month in readiness for the snow season.
ski holidays
Specialman, yes, go for it! I can only agree with what people have been saying about the daily disposables - I've started wearing them for the first time this year, & they're great Very Happy Bit fiddley at first, especially removal (touching one's eyeball feels so wrong!) but you'll soon get the hang of it...
snow conditions
Specialman, Missus R32 uses 'Acuvue Moist' Daily disposables when skiing, optician recommended 'Blink' drops to stop her eyes going dry....no probs. Try D&A......£30 for 30 days worth of lenses and a free eye check......they make you sign up to their 'contact lens by post' scheme, but optician told her to ring up and cancel once she had received her first pack and she now just orders when she needs them...sorted!
ski holidays
I'm just wondering. I'm doing all my skiis wearing my prescription glasses and a pair of ski goggles that are meant to have space for glasses (I think some form of Smith, don't rmemeber right now).
Is this a bad idea?
I never wear contacts, so I have to wear my glasses, and my prescription is quite high.

Not sure if I'm at more risk of damage. One time I fell flat on my face (that was before I was wearing helmets, since I was on the bunny trails) and the glasses moved and injured me near the eye (but not in them).
ski holidays
If you face plant any eyewear can potentially damage you uricmu, but the only alternative is no eyewear at all, which is not advisable!
snow report
I've been trying some Bolles with a prescription insert from http://oracle-eyecentre.co.uk (for a review for Fall Line).
Oracle is willing to take on prescriptions which are beyond the stated range of the insert (I'm -7.5 and this is usually a problem, for suppliers and for me); they also charge 'only' £75 regardless of any correction for astigmatism, the need for high index lenses etc. Compared to the price you have to pay for your specs with this kind of prescription that seems good to me, and if your prescription is stable you could get years of use out of the insert.
The obvious drawback is when you take your goggles off to go into a restaurant or whatever, though if contacts are not an option this is always an issue. On the plus side, I think they'd take impact pretty well (there are limits to how thoroughly you test these things...) - better than wearing specs under goggles - and it's great not to have to wear contacts in the dry/cold up a mountain.
Performance-wise, vision is better than with Adidas glasses/inserts, which are good but so small that there's greater loss of peripheral vision compared with the big insert in a goggle. Fogging (I've skied mainly warm wet conditions with them so far) was not an issue, and for that alone the system is worth it. And Bolle makes good goggles, so you won't go wrong there. Oracle do offer other makes but their favoured Rx option is Bolle.
Basically, if you need these, they're a bargain - when you're as blind as I am, having 100% vision on the hill is wonderful.
latest report
If at all possible, you have to go the contact route. Get yourself checked by your optician and tell them what you want them for and you may just have to settle for a prescription that isn't quite perfect. This, I don't mind and the compromise is for reading....of ocurse. I have always worn contacts for sports and the dailies are a blessing.
You will need a check-up with each new order..but then that is good anyway for the health of your eyes, but I get a months worth and they last for as many trips as I can cram in over the year.

Plus, no issues with breaking inserts or lences if you stack it big time and you can buy what bins you like when you like.

If contacts are a medical option, they are a no-brainer, IMV
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like you say, 'if at all possible'.
I wore contacts day in day out for about 20 years with zero problems (didn't even have an adequate pair of specs as I wore lenses constantly) and then one day I developed an intolerance (not during a ski trip, but I would have had no backup if it had been). Given the money typically spent on a ski holiday, having a fall-back strategy even if contacts normally work for you has to be a good idea though of course until it happens, you just don't believe it will.
If you're not badly short-sighted it's less of an issue but if like me you can't even recognise your own family from 6 feet without optical correction it's worth planning ahead.
snow report
FoulNative,

Would never entertain wearing contacts full-time over a period of time...... even I could see that that might not be a good idea. I'd say the same about using mobiles as well, FWIW.
latest report
Thought I'd resurrect this as I've been testing some really good prescription goggles as I'm now of an age where I need them in bad weather when my prescription sunnies are none too practical.

I'm very impressed!

Should also add that I used them last week in very bad viz as we skied back into cloud and they were very good indeed.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/ski-snowboard-gear-tests-2020.html
snow conditions
I have come across these guys -> https://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Prescription-Ski-Goggles/

They seem to be big players - have found their site a few times over the past few years when looking for replacement lenses and they have a lot of youtube content describing goggles and doing comparisons.
snow report
@extremerob, totally agree with you as I used them for my prescription varifocal sunnies that I use for cycling and skiing, and Andy is first class, I can not praise him enough.

However, their ski goggles use clip-in inserts that are not ideal whereas the snow-vision system uses a patented sealed unit hence no misting / fogging up issues and you can make out that these are varifocal too.

latest report
What is the problem with the clip in inserts?
snow report
I’m guessing they fog as they’re not double glazed.......
latest report
I’ve got some prescription inserts & Salice goggles through Boots opticians. They work well. Do fog up occasionally but you get used to what conditions & how to resolve. Can’t remember exact cost but they price matched the goggles against internet & certainly was under £150 for both. I specifically wanted white goggles & they ordered me several pairs to see which fitted best on my helmet.
snow conditions
Tbh I have only found my inserts to mist up if short hike up hill as soon as I get moving downhill again they clear but I have pretty good well ventilated goggles. I have had more mist/fog up problems with cheap unbranded goggles with no inserts than decent ones with inserts. One of the biggest advantages I see in them that nobody has mentioned is the ease to transfer them to new goggles, I have dropped one or two pairs of ski goggles over the years and scratched/ruined the lens I would be more pissed off if the where fancy built in prescription lenses.
For the record if I could use contact lenses I would.
ski holidays
Thing is guys, just maybe I ski in more often in inclement conditions than you guys do due to the fact that I spend the whole season in the mountains as well as travelling to far off non-stop snow locations such as Japan chasing Face-Shots etc so a good pair of goggles (minimal faff) is of huge importance.

I'm pretty sure if I were to ding the goggles then it would be very easy to send goggles back etc

Today weather is grim, grim and grim, normally I would not even consider going out (heavy rain in the valley) snow at circa 2,000m so another good test for the goggles as well as the hard shells.
latest report
Thats a very impressive ski CV weathercam, but for us mere ski tourist mortals the clip in prescription insert can be a good solution inc the ability to change to different lenses for the conditions on that day although i am a fan of photcromatic lenses like the snowvision are. If we are only out for one week a season sending the goggles home on the 1st day to be repaired after a ding is not really a option. My inserts only cost me £40 of my hard earned money and probably my prescription will change (deteriorate) in a few years so not a major to change inserts. As for faff my inserts stay all year round in my ski goggles which are wrapped up in my buff and stay in my ski helmet, no faff there and i do like a good faff!!! Laughing

I can honestly say my prescription inserts where the single best investment in improving my skiing and I include proper fitted boots in this!

What i do like is people such as the company you speak about in your blog see a market in us blind bug-gers and hopefully continue to improve options on the market that help us, i just wish the scuba market would catch on as the dive masks they fit the prescription to (in a similar method as your ski goggles) are crap.

PS cracking photo!
snow report
Been demanding goggle weather these last two days, temps just above freezing and snow very wet, and pleased to report goggle working well.

Yesterday chose to wear them with a helmet which was a good call as very heavy wet snow falling, and having to wipe lens every 15 or so turns

Today with beanie, which can prove problematical with the hot wet wool, the secret is not to overlap goggle too much.

In these days of WhatsApp etc being able to read messages etc in the gondola with the varifocals is also a big plus rather than taking goggles and using reading glasses etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy