Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shoot me down if im in the wrong place!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Advice for skis based on height weight performance!

Im 176cm, 73kg, a pretty poor skier really. I get down everthing but grace is an issue. I like carving about, i hate bumps and having to jump into turns - my ideal world would be red groomers from top to bottom.

Dont have a go at me, I just want feedback on what sort of set up you think would be my dream ticket.

(im on an old pair of fischer 160 virons with 85head boots at the moment)

Ta my friends!
E
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I like carving about, i hate bumps and having to jump into turns - my ideal world would be red groomers from top to bottom

A snowboard?
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@efsefs, Equipment section is probably the suitable place for this but don't worry, here isn't a crime and probably gets more views.
Difficult to recommend specific skis but I'd guess something at the narrower end of all-mountain like Bramha82. Best option might be to test at the sH's Octobertests (current situation allowing) where you can compare several back to back. Alternatively hire and swap between different skis during the week; many shops will let you do this if they think there might be a sale in it.
Now here comes the regular sH's mantra... Given you description, maybe lessons are s better investment wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Equipment Advice section. But you're not alone as there's plenty of others who like screwing with my OCD.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a thought - if you hate bumps could it be because you ski on skis that are not nice in bumps? Skiing you are always going to encounter bumps, any warm day the pistes cut up by afternoon, after fresh snow pistes get really cut up and bumpy. Why not try a ski that is fun in bumps, but can also carve. Not suggesting they would be good for you, but my Blizzard Bonafides are absolutely brilliant on afternoon bumpy pistes, and also pretty mean at carving.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get a nice piste performance ski in about 165-170 length. Long if you like to go faster, shorter if you like more turns.

But as above you need to define what sort of bumps you hate - semi permanent mogul fields are one thing, the sort of crrunk that gets mounded up on any steepish groomer in the afternoon another and a bit wider (low 80s) to smash through that stuff may be better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
160 sounds very short for your height carving red groomers. 166-170 I’d have thought.

Go get lessons for bumps, it opens the mountain for you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@efsefs, my twopence worth would be that if you describe yourself as "a pretty poor skier" then new skis won't be the silver bullet that you're possibly hoping for.
You would almost certainly find that investing your money in lessons instead of new skis would change your whole outlook - and then the skis that you'd pick now, wouldn't necessarily be the skis you would want after some quality lessons and a bit of putting what you'd been taught into practice.

To save @spyderjon (and others from their OCD) I'm moving this thread to the equipment section. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@efsefs, you might want to edit the thread title to something more specifically about your question now that it is in the right place wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@efsefs, can you expand a bit on "pretty poor". How many weeks have you skied? The Dunning Kruger effect is very evident in skiing, the more I ski the more I come to realise that I'm not as good as I thought I was! If you're really carving on reds then most folk would regard that as a fair bit better than the average british holiday skier. A decent piste ski like a Dynastar Speedzone would optimise the fun on the groomers, or if you wanted to make life a bit easier when in the bumps a slightly wider ski like a Head Titan would be a bit more forgiving. I'm the same height as you but a bit heavier and my SpeedZones are 176cm. I think about 170 would be fine for you, shorter if you want to put in more turns.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As above, a piste performance ski about 170 cm long, 70 cm ish underfoot, and 15-18 m turn radius.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy