Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2019 Ski resort price report from the Post Office is out

Poster: A snowHead
The 2019 Ski resort pricing report from the Post Office is out (hope it hasn't already been posted.. Embarassed ).

No Surprises - Bulgaria = cheap // Switzerland = expensive

One interesting comparison :: Week in Cervinia = £614 // Week in Zermatt = £1042

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/ski-report
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't get where people are paying 3.50E for a small beer in Saalbach.
I'm always dubious of the pricing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure we have discussed this before.

The other survey that caught my eye was this one https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance/ski/ski-safe

Quote:

With *1 in 3 people having some sort of misadventure on a winter sports holiday and **48% not having travel insurance...

It is one of those figures that make you say Wow. Almost half of people on wintersport holidays don't have travel insurance. Then you look at the small print. " Survey of 4,544 GB adults was conducted by YouGov between the 16th and 19th February 2018 - of which a sample of 809 were winter sports holidaymakers." and not replying to a question about travel insurance was construde that they didn't have insurance. Any report based on a questionnaire that does't tell you the actual questions asked goes straight in the bin.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:

One interesting comparison :: Week in Cervinia = £614 // Week in Zermatt = £1042

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/ski-report

£300 of which is the ski school. There’s no way Zermatt ski school is 2.5 times more expensive than Saas Fee for ski school while being 40% cheaper for ski hire. Doesn’t make any sense....

And Zermatt has practically the cheapest lunches in the alps - yeah right?!??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The usual rubbish
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a Kebab shop in the old centre of Zermatt, £10 for a kebab and bottle of juice, not bad!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If this is the best the Post Office can do on winter destination costs, I’m not surprised they seem to have made such a mess of their accounting systems for post office branches, with devastating impacts on the lives of several hundred subpostmasters. rolling eyes

Maybe stick to delivering letters and small parcels?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/03/15/post_office_horizon_it_system_initial_judgment/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, Wrote - "The 2019 Ski resort pricing report from the Post Office is out (hope it hasn't already been posted.. Embarassed )"

It has been posted before -- by me !! Embarassed Embarassed : in the 'next season is going to be more expensive' thread

(in my defence the page I linked did say prices as at 28 Nov..)

Age doesn't have many benefits...………….
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drammeister wrote:
I'm always dubious of the pricing.

You think that's expensive or cheap? Fairly standard in Flachau but a large beer not much more
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Their headline says that Borovets is the "best value" resort - what they mean is cheapest. I'd say it was better value to pay slightly more to go to Italy (e.g. Bardonecchia or Sestriere) than to Bulgaria.

Also, is St Anton really so much more expensive than Val d'Isere - £975 vs £806, that's 20% more. In my experience they are about the same, or even slightly more in VDI.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I suppose somewhere in the report there is a definition of a "small beer" The definition I found comes from that reputable source Wikipedia as "Small beer (also known as small ale or table beer) is a lager or ale that contains a lower amount of alcohol by volume (ABV) than other beers, typically between 0.5% to 2.8%."

Skiing in Soelden a few years ago I found the price when I asked for a "small beer" was about the same or slightly more than Les Arcs. The reason was easy to spot a "small beer" in Soelden was 33cl in Les Arcs 25cl.

@PeakyB, I didn't think the post office delivered mail.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plus, there’s no total cost which is then skewed by flights & transfers and ultimately, when you decide to book and travel.

That’s probably the biggest determiner in how much you end up spending and where you go.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, you’re right. The Post Office handles letters and parcels for Royal Mail, but doesn’t deliver them.

I don’t think they deliver useful information about winter sports holiday costs either. Looks like a cheapish way of promoting their currency exchange to me.
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at prices for here and Sestriere where I skied for a couple of days in March they seem about right. I was surprised at St Anton, it seemed reasonable when I went. But I had no ski hire or lessons and with the child discount on the pass for my daughter it was cheaper than France for the 2 of us where I'd have had to pay adult price for her. Eating and drinking was reasonable. The ranking only really applies if your basket is the same as theirs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
always find it a bit pointless since they don't include flight or accomodation or transfers.
I can fly to innsbruck a lot cheaper than sofia.
ski holidays
Doing a week in Bulgaria may be cheap. But the skiing is cr*p.

This "survey" should classify resorts by "cost per km" of pisted runs.

That gives a much better indication of "value", particularly for intermediate and advanced skiers.

Based on those linked stats:

* Les Menuires = £1 per km
* Sestriere = £1 per km
* Zermatt = £3 per km
* Kitzbuehel = £5 per km
* Borovets = £8 per km
* Ruka = £33 per km

Of all the European resorts on the list, Sestriere (Italy) offers by far the best bang for your buck.

Huge ski area (400km) for tiny cash (£560).

Les Menuires is second (600km / £700).
snow conditions
Quote:

I was surprised at St Anton, it seemed reasonable when I went. But I had no ski hire

ski hire is extortionate in St Anton, it seems. Silly survey. But the bottom line seems to be that what determines the price of your ski holiday is the choices you make, not where you go.
snow conditions
@Whitegold, distance isn't everything... try a logarithmic scale:

* Les Menuires = £252 per log(km)
* Sestriere = £214 per lg(km)
* Zermatt = £407 per log(km)
* Kitzbühel = £359 per log(km)
* Borovets = £254 per log(km)
* Ruka = £500 per log(km)

Also, how far are you skiing in a week? If I hit anywhere close to 300km (and that's not down the fall line), I'd become quite irritating talking about it. Therefore, the first four are the same distance, assuming you aren't being picky. There is also the Eddie the Eagle philosophy: I've not skied this piste properly yet, so I can happily ski it again Happy I tried that for an afternoon in Kitzbühel in the mid 80's and I never did ski it properly but I'm probably better for trying.

PS. The comparison doesn't include accommodation, transport, evening meals, more beer than allowed for...
latest report
Snowboarding with family and friends in late January in Kronplatz, but equipment rental prices are the most expensive I have ever came across Shocked Has anyone got any discount codes for local equipment shops in Valdaora/Olang, or any other village alongside Pustertal Ski Express line, tia?
ski holidays
https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental -- code :: snowball
snow report
...tried them, yet still more expensive, than TOPSKICENTER Kronplatz, thanks anyway (y)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy