Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts in summer

Poster: A snowHead
We've just booked to go to Westendorf in the summer - having visited a number of times in the winter for ski-ing. Thought it might be interesting to see the contrast.

Anybody else visit their winter haunts in the summer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Hopkinson, You'll love it - they're all so much prettier in summer, and summer skiing is great + walking and about a million other things to do. Flowers .... sun ....... you'll never take a beach holiday again! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, I've not taken a beach holiday yet! We've been neglecting our summer holidays since we started ski-ing.

Do you stay in LDA for the summer?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Schladming in the summer and have to agree with Charlotte. There's loads more to do than on a beach holiday and the scenery is super.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes- Chamonix is great in the summer - if not for climbing the walking is v good- the Tour du Mont Blanc is an easy 6-7 day circular walk usually started in Cham/les Houches- takes in les contamines- (Notre dame de la gorge is v heidiesque in summer- Courmayeur- also great -Champex then the upper Chamonix valley) can stay in very comfortable mountain huts if you want to.

Dolomites also beautiful in summer- with great walking.

The great advantage of summers in the alps compared to say the English Lakes is the weather- usually rain is not for too long- but there can be spectaculat thunder storms. Also can take the cable cars up- nd eat at the mountain restaurants which are often open in summer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does Aviemore count ?

I also stayed in La Clusaz before I started skiing. I have actually skied in La Clusaz as well though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My brother went to Zermatt last summer for a few days walking and a days skiing on the Glacier. As he liked it so much, we did 8 days there in Jan, and are planning on going for xmas this year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Me and Mrs Axs visited Les 2 Alpes last August (Your neck of the woods I believe?) Stayed a few days at Chalet Mounier (sp?). Had a wonderful time. The alpes look fantastic in the summer , the colour gives them depth and texture that is missing when everything's white.

The weather was great, sunbathing on the lawn, riding the lifts up and walking back down was an experience. So was seeing the 'pistes' minus snow and all the JCB's working on them Shocked

Sadly the summer skiing was a bit disappointing, only a couple of runs open, and it was like skiing on crushed ice. but WTF, we'll definitely come back again, just probably not bother with the skiing! Very Happy

Off to Heavenly tomorrow (5.oo am start so off to bed now!)

TTFN to snowheads (until I get back on-line at Lake Tahoe!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austria - Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Kaprun, Mayrhofen, still need to ski Soll, Kitzbuhel though

it's amazing to stand on a ridge looking at the scenery and comparing with summer / winter view

gotta love the mountains, summer or winter Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlpineWalker, I might have guessed you'd be there in the summer! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Hopkinson, we do, and did so before we bought the apartment. It was one of the reasons that made us decide to buy , as hubby found a Summer holiday where he could do all the thingas he enjoyed, and didn;t have to lieon a beach bored. He was brought up on the coast, and lived opposite a beach, so has never seen the attraction of it as a place to lie in the sun. Walking dogs, and playing football possibly.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah Les Carroz and Chamonix.

Les Carroz was pretty quiet, but Chamonix was excellent
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to Tahoe in the summer and pretty well all the Cascade peaks from Lassen in N. California (not a ski destination) to Mt Baker near the Canadian border. The Pacific Northwest is absolutely stunning in summer, with snow-capped volcanoes apparently suspended above the haze. Lovely equable climate too, and fantastic hiking/climbing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson, Deffo - I work hard all winter to allow myself to work much less hard int he summer and just love being here.

AxsMan, August is a bit late for summer skiing. June is best or early July. We are really only open in August because of the school holidays. Good training for your skiing though - you can't expect it to be anything like winter skiing - you can't travel, and the snow is rarely like good winter stuff - but every little helps. Laughing Laughing Glad you enjoyed it though - Oh yes - August is also too late for the best flowers. Sad

All you non-walkers and climbers, the above posts don't mean that's all there is to do in the alps in summer - there are a million other things that are much less effort as well!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went out to the Rockies a couple of Septembers ago determined to visit them sans snow. It was a packhorse trip - so staying up in the mountains in tents. It snowed. rolling eyes snowHead
ski holidays
We went to Saas Fee in July 04. Plenty of varied terrain for training plus a great skierX course & snow park.
We skied on the glacier until early pm then back down to the village for afternoons of mountain biking, walking, swimming, basketball, tennis & shopping etc in 80C (everyone else did these things wink) or just chillin' with a beer (Cool).
snow report
Quote:

we do, and did so before we bought the apartment. It was one of the reasons that made us decide to buy , as hubby found a Summer holiday where he could do all the thingas he enjoyed, and didn;t have to lieon a beach bored.

that is one of the best things about buying a place in the Alps. It is like having two completely different holiday homes, and it's fantastic to visit almost any time of the year, except maybe November and the first half of December - maybe snow, but no lifts. But June and early July definitely better than August for the flowers - a lot quieter, but for that reason not a lot open up in the high resorts. Depends what you like. We had breakfast on the terrace, looking at Mont Blanc (and a whole panorama of other mountains) every morning last summer, and even during the last week of October. And what about the wild raspberries, strawberries, myrtilles, profusion of fascinating fungi in the Autumn.... The very best thing of all is that you don't feel so sad about the end of the ski season, knowing what fresh delights lie ahead. I thought the summer would just be an "added extra" to the ski-ing, but in fact we like the summer just as much.
ski holidays
pam w, sounds idyllic.
snow conditions
Les Gets is beautiful in the summer, but too many mountain bikers !
ski holidays
Chamonix and Zermatt..

I've always wanted to play a top class golf course in the alpes but they are so many others courses to do ...
latest report
Tignes - pretty ugly in the summertime to my eyes, with summer activities that look as if they have been stuck on as an afterthought. Fine for skiing on the glacier of course, but much better to stay down in the valley than up in the treeless upper resorts of Tignes, and drive/bus up for the occasional slide. Stay in a 'real' Savoie small town like Bourg St Maurice, and the funicular to the glacier is only 35 mins drive away. Far cheaper accommodation too.

Much prefer Deux Alpes for healthy summertime pursuits, although I find that like most French resorts that have been purpose-built above the original villages, it looks a little 'tacky' when the snow has gone. That said I have had several highly enjoyable summer stays in L2A.
latest report
Ian Hopkinson, we went to Westendorf in the summer many years ago and had a really great time, did all the sights and a bit of walking. Lots going on during the day and in the evening, great place to promenade. If paragliding's your bag it seemed to be a big place for it.
snow report
it's good to see how the villages tick, all year round. Last night on the way up from Sallanches I picked up a pisteur hitch-hiking on Notre Dame de Bellecombe, at 9pm in the pitch dark. Turned out he was too drunk to drive - it was his birthday, and his friends hadn't taken "no" for an answer! Like many of the seasonal workers he was a farmer; on the way up the hill he told us about his cows, the problems of haymaking on steep slopes, the unwillingness of the young to leave their computer games and help, about working on the new chairlifts last summer. And other stuff, which his state of inebriation, strong local accent and my poor French meant that I missed. Next time I drive up past his pastures in summer, full of flowers and cows, I will think of him. When he found we were going to Les Saisies he had us pass the door of his place and drop him in Saisies to look for a "copain" in the gendarmerie, for another drink and maybe a lift home later. He must have had a thick head when he got to work this morning! But for us, it was yet another interesting glimpse of how the ski season interacts with the rest of the year to make life in the mountains possible in the 21st century.
latest report
Have done Wengen & Zell am See both summer and winter. One of the fun things is to spot where the pistes are. Generally, a blue run will be steep to walk down, a red run virtually impossible and don't try walking down a black!!
latest report
Elizabeth B, this is something I've been thinking about - my guess was that a red slope would be pretty tricky to stand on with your feet.

pam w, I understand that my first ski instructor keeps "fighting sheep" which I guess keeps him occupied in the summer...

stevew, my mum's been going to Westendorf for years - I'm looking forward to seeing it 'in the green'. I fancy getting down to Kitzbuhel - did you go further afield than that?
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Stay in a 'real' Savoie small town like Bourg St Maurice, and the funicular to the glacier is only 35 mins drive away.

We are heading back to Bourg for 3 weeks this July, Les Arcs reopens the lifts for biking and walking, Throw in a Via Ferrata or 2 and a few days of doing nothing and it is really the perfect holiday (You dont even get sand in between your toes)
latest report
PG, Sorry to be pedantic, but we're not purpose built in the sense of Les menuires et al - there were always a few dwellings at the Venosc end and one or two at the Mont de lans end. (more than I thought till I look at the exhibition). these date from the time of the colporteurs. IMV previous communitites = not purpose built!! NehNeh wink
snow conditions
easiski, I know, did think that when I was writing it! But you know what I mean.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did Murren & Wengen in summer 04 and wow what a difference. We hiked so much around the region and the views were still amazing. We walked most of the runs aswell as going off-piste Laughing

We enjoyed so much we are going back in September this year
snow conditions
PG, Is the Bst M funicular open year round? or just the 'July / August' summer?
ski holidays
Just July and August - Kieran
ski holidays
Kieran, Thanks, I have been warned to expect nothing to be open during my late May visit Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Kieran, Thanks, I have been warned to expect nothing to be open during my late May visit Toofy Grin

Skiing on the Grand Motte?
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Toofy Grin Maybe!
snow report
PG, we managed 2 weeks in tignes last summer.

Other than arriving when everything bar the glacier & 1 restaurant was shut we had a great time.

We'd hired a car in Lyon.

Managed -
3 days boarding for the novelty factor.

Walked every trail we could find including those over in val d'isere. Scenery was stunning once away from the lifts. Tourist info were very helpful and provided good guides to all the trails (in french even I could understand!)

Did most of the bike trails except the one off the black run.

Had a mornings climbing and then an afternoon paragliding.

I remembered how bad at tennis I was Smile

A day trip to italy over the mountain pass. That road was "interesting"

Cheap accommodation too with tv for the blanket coverage of le tour.

We somehow managed to keep outselves occupied although if coming back I can see your argument for staying down the valley as it does open up a much wider area.
ski holidays
I can recommend the Dolomites in Summer.

My wife and I drove through them on the way back from Italy and it was great. Cortina was beautiful, if a little quiet.

The mountain passes are the best bit though. Driving over them is quite unlike any other experience.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy