Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Friedrichshafen to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi what is the best way from Friedrichshafen airport to St Anton. Either bus, train or car hire
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Littlecolin, train involves multiple changes so probably not really practical unless you have lots of time. I dont believe there is a bus connection but someone else may say otherwise. Hiring a car is almost certainly the best option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I drove.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Driving is straight forward. Only things to remember are:
1. Telling hire company you'll be taking the car from Germany to Austria. Might be free (was for us) or a ~10-20Euro charge.
2. Stop at the big service station at the border and buy your Austrian motorway vignette.

For a scheduled flight Friedrichschafen's quite a nice airport. When Innsbruck's closed and diverting all it's flights there...not so much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the help.
If I hire a car will i be able to hire snow chains?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Littlecolin wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I hired a car to do that trip a few years back with a couple of mates.

Should have winter tyres on a German hire car in winter, they'll get through most snowbound conditions and offer superior grip on cold wet roads. Beats faffing around with chains.

Be sure to buy the Austrian motorway vignette sticker at the border, there was a Police check a couple of miles up the road looking very carefully at all German plated cars.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the help.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Littlecolin, rolling eyes sigh......

All hire cars in Germany have winter tyres, it is not legal otherwise.

If you are going to St Anton you are very very unlikely to need snow chains, Lech / Zürs is a bit different. If the weather is poor you will need to use the Arlberg tunnel (the pass will be closed) and the exit for St Anton is directly after the toll booths and the village is at the same level close by. In the past few years the village has been "cut off" briefly but this was down to avalanche / falling tree danger not because of the amount of uncleared snow on the road. At the height of the snowmaggedon storm last year I drove from St Anton to Davos, no snow chains just the normal winter tyres. Even parts of the autobahn in Switzerland was snowbound as well as the road all the way up to Davos (its about 30km). The only folk who got stuck were those who stopped to put on snow chains and blocked the road for everyone else! If you are concerned check with wherever you are staying for their advice in case they have a steep drive or are situated above the village (like the places around the Krazy Kangaroo etc).

If you are staying in Lech or Zürs access is via the Flexenpass, this can get snowbound and if so the police are likely to enforce a 4x4 or snowchains uphill rule and if really bad snowchains only downhill. This is normally only for short periods until the road is properly cleared.

The hire company will supply chains if you ask for them but they will charge a hefty fee for doing so.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its easy by train..

Dont bring a car to St Anton
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, not from Friedrichshafen airport unfortunately. Need to get from the airport to the main train station, there is a station at the airport but no idea how frequent the trains are, then a train to Lindau, then to Bregenz, there is the occasional direct train but almost always need to change in Feldkirch and probably have to wait for an hour for the train that stops at St Anton. This does not make sense with baggage unless you have a thing about trains. Both Zürich and Innsbruck airports are easy not Friedrichshafen.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy