Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to wear as mid-layer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am considering buying a hard shell and not an insulated jacket for skiing, as I want to be able to ski when the weather is very nice without overheating, and shell seems more versatile.

I only neeed to answer one question - what would you recommend wearing on top of base layer, when the weather is cold, -10/-15 degrees Celc? Some breathable fleece/merino long-sleeve pullover? I need sth tha twould be versatile and that will last a long time Smile Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bober02, i wear icebreaker merino long sleeve over my thermals. top with a fleece if very cold, i have had them for years
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a variety of options - depending on how cold/windy it is:

Down Jacket
Heavy Fleece
Light Fleece
Merino Zip Neck

The colder it is, the more I Layer-Up (obviously).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bober02, definitely more versatile.

I usually use an Arcteryx Atom which is synthetic down, if very cold add a down gilet, or swap for a high pile fleece.

I usually have a pack on which helps warm things up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the atome might a bit too much for me Smile ATM my jacket has primaloft silver insulation, which I need to replace.

So two options after a quick search (as a concept, not particularly these items):

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/870750 - for warmer days (-5/-10)

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-r1-regulator-fleece-pullover/40110.html - for colder days

would that be OK?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arcterxy Rush shell jacket.
Sabre trousers.

I have 6 long sleeve merino base layers (a mix of icebreaker and brass monkeys). So one per day to minimise stinkiness.

I have 3 Decathlon mid layers (these ones - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/midwarm-500-mens-ski-midlayer-blue-id_8371648.html).
I wear one for two days.

I always wear the above together , I run cold so even if weather is warm - I prefer to have the two layers.

If weather is cold - I will wear a RAB down gilet , or a lightweight down decathlon jacket.

And for this season I bought an Arteryx proton LT to try out for more breath-ability as although down is warm , it can get sweaty on the back / shoulders when working hard.

Legs - just a baselayer - do not seem to feel the cold in the bottom half!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bober02 wrote:
the atome might a bit too much for me Smile ATM my jacket has primaloft silver insulation, which I need to replace.

So two options after a quick search (as a concept, not particularly these items):

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/870750 - for warmer days (-5/-10)

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-r1-regulator-fleece-pullover/40110.html - for colder days

would that be OK?

I've got ISOBAA stuff -- good stuff
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bober02, the R1 is a light fleece ... R2 is more typical as mid-layer .

Atom not too much, least not for me, has broader active range than the R2.

How often does one regularly see -15C in Europe?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, we see it quite often in Austria
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

How often does one regularly see -15C in Europe?

Plenty in Arlberg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, @Markymark29, ok.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy