Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - overwhelmed by ski hire options

Poster: A snowHead
First visit to VT.
There are so many ski hire shops I just can't even begin to decide which to use. w/c 14 Dec I'd like to avoid very busy one full of big groups. There is one at the accommodation we are at - Le Hameau but it seems quite a bit more expensive and no idea of quality. Also, how easy is it to get around VT lugging skis and boots. Should the 'cheap' options be avoided? eg: Le chamois through ski republic is so much cheaper. What about Zenith? Erna Low our tour operator have good prices for the Skiset shops but again, there are 4 of them so which one to use??

My head is exploding!!

Kids are 2 week beginners. I am solid but very cautious intermediate, Husband very adventurous but on piste
thank you so much
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I may have posted this in the wrong forum accidentally. so sorry!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pandab, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Where in VT are you staying?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pandab, Hi, welcome to Snowheads!

You mention that you're staying in the Hameau - is that Hameau du Kashmir? If so, we've stayed there twice for the Family Bash and the ski hire had been perfectly adequate, with the benefit of not lugging skis around the village at either end of the holidays.

I'm sure that there are other ski rentals that are cheaper, and some that are larger with a better range. VT is not a very big place, and the main centre commerciale is about 5-10 min walk from the HduK, but that still means putting on a jacket and outdoor shoes rather than simply taking the lift up to your apartment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stayed in VT for the last five Easter’s. We’ve used the Skirepublics in Chamois d’or and on the Frog street. Also the independent below the Fahrenheit 7 hotel. They’ve all been friendly and with excellent kit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pandab,

Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy

We usually take our own kit but on weekend trips have rented from Chamois D'Or Ski Republic. If you rent via Alpinsport website and use the discount code ALPISKI you can get 60% off.

The service there has been excellent - very friendly - and the shop is about a 5 minute walk from your apartment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you so much and for not minding that I didn't post it on 'the piste' forum. Yes we are staying at le Hameau du Kashmir in an apartment. I do find it impossible to compare the rentals. For the first time in a while I'm hiring boots too as my Boots just killed me last year - constant foot cramp. My feet seem to have changed! I definitely want to get the kit right as it can make or break the holiday. I am still recovering from the memory of a truly awful week based at the Esprit hotel in Courchevel where we rented dreadful stuff but it was much too awkward a location to do much about it!

I'm looking forward to trying VT but a bit nervous about the exposure and possible bad weather. I am a very 'fair weather' / perfect conditions type skier!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
while I'm on the subject - It's so hard that all the companies describe the ski categories differently so I honestly don't know which to book. I'm currently browsing alpineresorts.com le chamois and cannot work out which skis for my husband 'black/gold' 'diamond' 'platinum' etc .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pandab wrote:
while I'm on the subject - It's so hard that all the companies describe the ski categories differently so I honestly don't know which to book. I'm currently browsing alpineresorts.com le chamois and cannot work out which skis for my husband 'black/gold' 'diamond' 'platinum' etc .

Others may tell you otherwise, but I'm never convinced the shops take that much notice of what category you've booked.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK for my 2 cents worth - you can't go far wrong with the Intersport Online booking, especially with the Black Friday discounts.

Intersport always have a number of shops in any one of the big stations.

This is the link to Val Thorens (where I was renting from last weekend)
https://www.intersport-rent.fr/en/rent/page/station.aspx?station=134#whenwhereform

If you're at all close to the Rue du Soleil I recommend the Cheval Blanc shop

Their packages are self-explanatory, and you can select a ski only package. You will note that all the shops offer the same packages.

The very big plus point is that you can go and change your skis day to day, so one day carving the next all-mountain etc etc
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Used the Chamois many times while staying in Chamois D'or and they have always been very good. Book in advance either directly with them or via alpinresorts to get the best deal.

As a matter of fact just got and email from Ski Republic/Precision Ski - they run a Black Friday sale, use code BF2020 for 20% discount
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another really stupid question:

I have annual travel insurance incl winter sports with asda.

All the ski hire shops are trying to sell me insurance for the skis. Do I need to take this insurance or are hire skis covered on usual travel insurance?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to an Intersport (big chain), in the quiet period (e.g.11am).

Ask the store to show you the skis, sticks and boots you get for low, mid, or high price.

Note the brands and models. Google them. Compare. Check rental prices against other stores. Decide. Rent.

Don't be afraid to take them back and change skis or boots if they suck.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pandab wrote:
Another really stupid question:

All the ski hire shops are trying to sell me insurance for the skis. Do I need to take this insurance or are hire skis covered on usual travel insurance?
- You’ll need to read your policy for the answer to that, as some do cover hire equipment, others don’t. If yours doesn’t, I’d suggest you do take the shop’s policy, for peace of mind, but ensure it covers you for theft AND damage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure if the Hammau has the same management as the Oxalys which is 50 metres across the piste.
The snowheads almost take over the Oxalys near the end of the season in April.
We always get a great deal from the ski rental shop in that hotel.
It doesn't have a huge choice, but what they do have is excellent.
snow report
I've always found Ski Republic to be the cheapest option... One at the top of town, one nearer the centre -

https://www.ski-republic.com/our-resorts/val-thorens?gclid=CjwKCAiA5o3vBRBUEiwA9PVzakWuqq7_9XrV2qbjUjY_XZMqHQTACSK3XcOFTySqIg3sezdtLO6KGhoCFcYQAvD_BwE
snow report
And apparently code FRIDAY19 give an extra 20% off...
snow report
Quote:

I'd suggest you take the shop insurance - it's not a lot, usually, and could save you a lot of hassle. There's probably a certain amount of small print on your Asda policy.
snow report
pandab wrote:
First visit to VT.
There are so many ski hire shops I just can't even begin to decide which to use. w/c 14 Dec I'd like to avoid very busy one full of big groups. There is one at the accommodation we are at - Le Hameau but it seems quite a bit more expensive and no idea of quality. Also, how easy is it to get around VT lugging skis and boots. Should the 'cheap' options be avoided? eg: Le chamois through ski republic is so much cheaper. What about Zenith? Erna Low our tour operator have good prices for the Skiset shops but again, there are 4 of them so which one to use??

My head is exploding!!

Kids are 2 week beginners. I am solid but very cautious intermediate, Husband very adventurous but on piste
thank you so much

Personally I'd have a look at google maps and see where the shops are from the hotel. I never like going to far as if there is any issue with what you have hired you want to be able to sort it with the minimum of hassle. Equally don't want to pay sky high prices to balance out distance and price!
snow conditions
I thought I’d update-
We hired skis and boots from Ski Republic Chamois d’Or pre booked online and over £100 less than skiset and others.
Skis and boots were all brand new for the whole family. I had Atomic Vantage. I hired boots to start with and changed these twice as just not comfortable - started with Nevica then Salomon and then some Heads. I then bought a great pair of Head boots from Zenith ski shop and have had brilliant service with several adjustments over the 4 days.

Thanks for your help with this
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy