Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Neilson - Thomas Cook flights

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So we have a trip booked with Neilson to the Dolomites in January. They were using TC for these flights.

Got an email Monday saying that they are looking at other flight partners etc and are confident that new flights will be sorted. I know it's a long way off so hopefully plenty of time to sort it but just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat? I did see on Facebook that some have already had replacement flights arranged but I take everything I read on there with a pinch of salt.

Anyone else heard anything different?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read a report that was suggesting the TC airline was a saleable prospect.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I read a report that was suggesting the TC airline was a saleable prospect.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No update to add but I noticed, whilst browsing Inghams website a couple of days ago, that they were still offering packages that included Thomas Cook flights in Jan 2020
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fridge03, I know it is a different company, and probably on a smaller scale than Neilson. But I saw that silver ski have already managed to find another airline, to cover their TC flights for next season, albeit with a change of destination airport. Though I presume as they already carry out Sunday transfers this may be easier to implement.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We were flying to the Dolomites in March with TC/SkiTotal.
SkiTotal informed us a few days ago they had secured replacement flights - same outbound/inbound airport and dates as TC flight, just a small change in flight times - with Austrian Airlines.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
assuming they are chartered flights, then its quite easy to get another operator or wet lease.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are/were in the same boat but to Grenoble. Been informed they've sourced new flights with Jet2. As you say they have some time and it's certainly in their interests to secure new flights so hopefully you wont be impacted.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When Monarch went under almost exactly 2 years ago we had the same problem (Ski Olympic and Mark Warner and others). It was all sorted, there is quite a lot of spare capacity in the Winter. So I wouldn't worry unduly, there may be a difference in times as the TC slots get hoovered up by the highest bidder, especially at LGW.

It will take a week or so for the dust to settle as there will be more pressing and immediate problems.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@blacksheep, Yaarkshire airlines to the rescue. I was going to mention them in my last post, but I have banged on about them a bit much recently.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway wrote:
@blacksheep, Yaarkshire airlines to the rescue. I was going to mention them in my last post, but I have banged on about them a bit much recently.

Yep, pretty much the same times as well so all good. We're flying from Manchester.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have had an email from them today too. We were flying out to Andorra to Lleida with Neilson on a Jet2 flight, this has now been changed to Toulouse with Flybe. Not sure why the Jet2 was altered, Presume it’s just a change around. Not so keen on flying into Toulouse and prefer to go from the Spanish side, but hey ho
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going to Val di Fassa for Christmas week with Neilson. We’ve had a e-mail saying they’re concentrating on holidays due to depart by 31st October. Not worried yet, I’m sure it’ll all come out in the wash. Like @chocksaway said there’s spare capacity in the winter. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yuk - hope you do not get one of those Flybe Bombardier Q400 bone shakers. Suppose Toulouse is just about a bearable distance - take headphones and noise cancellers - after jets you do not remember how dreadful turboprops are.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had an email saying we’ve been changed to Jet2 nx March. We were with monarch last time, they always sort it
ski holidays
Well fingers crossed as we still haven't had anything yet. I'm sure they will sort it, but it's the other bits we will have to change (like airport hotel, parking etc).

Still, could be worse. I still have a job and haven't been abandoned abroad, so puts things into perspective really. I feel so sorry for all those affected.
latest report
we were to be flying to Innsbruck from Gatwick. Now been told with Jet2 to Salzburg from Stansted.
snow report
@ayayay, are you allowed to cancel your booking with that (IMO) major change?
snow report
We are. But with a dozen of us going at New Year I can't face trying to find something else now.. To be honest Stansted is easier for me. Although Salzburg is a bigger transfer (to Mayrhofen).
ski holidays
ayayay wrote:
We are. But with a dozen of us going at New Year I can't face trying to find something else now.. To be honest Stansted is easier for me. Although Salzburg is a bigger transfer (to Mayrhofen).

That’s good, if it were myself the stansted would be the deal breaker but I have been caught before by TO’s having a different interpretation of “major change” to myself, hence the question.

We flew to Salzburg last Easter and drove to Mayrhofen. Was an easy and pleasant drive. So hopefully you will find same at New Year. Have a great trip, we really enjoyed Mayrhofen.
snow report
The LGW flights were probably always going to be the tricky ones as the TC take off and landing slots will be sold to the highest bidder.
On the plus side for @ayayay, Innsbruck can get a good dose of Chambery-itis.
ski holidays
ayayay wrote:
we were to be flying to Innsbruck from Gatwick. Now been told with Jet2 to Salzburg from Stansted.

I do hope they manage to keep our Gatwick flights. We live about 30 mins away and the other people in our party are driving up from Bristol. Whilst it's not the end of the World going from Stansted, we blooming hate the place!
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

I read the above which made me think of this ….

http://youtube.com/v/6VLYpKGVBUg
snow report
Someone in another thread travelling to Austria with Neilson on Jet2 flights has had their holiday cancelled, with TC quoted as the reason, so I wouldn't relax just yet.
snow report
Yes I just read....perhaps I will contact them again!
snow conditions
So received communication from Neilson today.

We are now flying with Jet2. Still into Innsbruck, virtually the same times. The only change, we are now going from Stansted rather than Gatwick. Bit of a pain but not the end of the world. Just happy to still be going on our trip to the lovely Dolomites!
snow conditions
Also transferred from Gatwick to Stansted, Jet2. Lost the transfer to and hotel in Gatwick. Sad
latest report
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
Also transferred from Gatwick to Stansted, Jet2. Lost the transfer to and hotel in Gatwick. Sad

Yes, this is a shame. Fortunately I hadn't booked anything yet like parking etc but was just about to start looking before the TC scenrio developed.

Can you not get a refund from the hotel. transfer etc? Neilson have already told me that they won't compensate for anything not booked through them.

Some of our party are coming from Bristol, so they aren't particularly liking the extra distance but they were planning to hotel the night before anyway so whilst a pain, isn't a disaster.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not particularly relevant to TC, but I have just had my Crystal flights changed.

Booked a week in Flaine back in July mainly for the short transfer from Geneva. Yesterday, the day after I had paid the Holiday balance, I receive an email telling me the flight is now going to Chambery !

Timings are the same, but knowing what Chambery is like on a Saturday, I would have avoided it given the choice.. (transfer time isn't actually much longer - +30 mins..)

Just wondering if they are picking up cheaper slots abandoned by the TC failure ?
ski holidays
albob wrote:
Not particularly relevant to TC, but I have just had my Crystal flights changed.

Booked a week in Flaine back in July mainly for the short transfer from Geneva. Yesterday, the day after I had paid the Holiday balance, I receive an email telling me the flight is now going to Chambery !

Timings are the same, but knowing what Chambery is like on a Saturday, I would have avoided it given the choice.. (transfer time isn't actually much longer - +30 mins..)

Just wondering if they are picking up cheaper slots abandoned by the TC failure ?

In my case, I was pleased that Crystal.ie have changed their Dublin Flight from Chambery to Geneva - You may have got that slot! Toofy Grin
latest report
Now that is weird ! Puzzled
ski holidays
So when I thought this was all sorted...guess what! Another call from Neilson.

Being messed about by Jet2 now. So our re-arranged Stansted flight....has now been re-arranged!

They said we can keep the Stansted departure but instead of flying into Innsbruck it would be Friedrichshafen! And a lovely 5-530 hour transfer! Coming home, that would have meant leaving the hotel at approx 4am!
Absolutely no chance. To their credit they did offer a refund of 10% straight away to make up for it.

I asked for other options. So we are now on our 3rd flight option. Birmingham to Innsbruck. I'd rather do the travelling in the UK than sit on a coach for 5-6 hours after a 2-3 hour flight.

So once again, off to change parking and airport hotels!

Anyone else with holidays booked heard from them today?
snow conditions
@Fridge03, we are booked completely independently but got an email from BA informing us that our flights out are cancelled and having a bit of challenge sorting that out at the moment.

Makes me wonder was yesterday a date that airlines had to confirm airport / ATC slots for next calendar year by?
ski holidays
@Fridge03, same call from Neilson, except we’ve come out of it better off. A later departure and we avoid Innsbruck, which IMHO is the worst airport in the world. We’re OK with a longer transfer, used to do from Milan to Livigno most years. The 10% refund will come in handy too. snowHead
latest report
@Fridge03,

DIY it & fly to venice with easyjet
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
@Fridge03,

DIY it & fly to venice with easyjet

We did find a decent flight into Venice and an ok price but Neilson were only offering £50pp off if we arranged our own travel.

I’ve DIYed our last two trips and went package this time to save time and effort. Might as well booked our own stuff now. Oh well.

NeddySkiGoon wrote:
@Fridge03, same call from Neilson, except we’ve come out of it better off. A later departure and we avoid Innsbruck, which IMHO is the worst airport in the world. We’re OK with a longer transfer, used to do from Milan to Livigno most years. The 10% refund will come in handy too. snowHead

What flights were you on before and what have you got now?

I don’t mind a 3 hour or so coach trip. But 5 hours....factor in a stop. And any potential snow/traffic. Could be awful.
snow report
I think Friedrichshafen is only served by Jet2 from Stansted and Easyjet fom Gatwick, so you would be waiting for a maximum of one other flight (even if both arrive at a similar time). And immigration / baggage reclaim is a doddle. That can easily save an hour, or even two, compared to some other airports.
snow report
@Fridge03, @Fridge03, had the same problems with the Neilson flights. Having to go from Stanstead to Friedrichshafen - wasn’t aware they were offering B’ham option though? We’re staying in La Penia in Val di Fassa arriving 1st Feb. Where abouts are you staying & when?
snow report
damobloke1 wrote:
@Fridge03, @Fridge03, had the same problems with the Neilson flights. Having to go from Stanstead to Friedrichshafen - wasn’t aware they were offering B’ham option though? We’re staying in La Penia in Val di Fassa arriving 1st Feb. Where abouts are you staying & when?

We had to ask for them. They didn’t offer.

They may still be available if you’d rather get the travel done in the UK rather than 5-6 hours on a coach the other end. And that return trip...urgh.

We are there the week before you. Chalet Hotel Dolomites.
snow conditions
@Fridge03, thanks for that. I shall have to call Neilson. What are the flight times - presume it’s B’ham to Innsbruck?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy