Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The trip of a lifetime :)

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for this post repeating itself. I have originally posted this in the solo skier's section, I then Realised its probably better placed in this section.

Hello All,

It has always been a dream of mine to spend a prolonged period in the alps. So now the opportunity to take circa seven weeks of has appeared. I am starting to draw a plan of action.

In the last few years, I have been skiing/boarding the large resorts in Switzerland, Austria and France.

I am trying to create a time table of the different ski areas I would like to visit with a general cost of transfers and ski passes.

The idea is to try and book accommodation for the first leg, and try and find my next accommodation for the next leg with the likes of Airbnb/HomeAway.

I will be looking to stay a week or so in each location (big resorts) fewer days in smaller ski areas.

The starting point will probably be Zermatt and move along to a few other swiss ski areas follow by Either Italy or France, Depends on snow conditions etc.

I am not looking to hire a car for the length of the trip, so ideally, locations need to have useful transport links.

I want to avoid half-term in general. So I will either be looking to come back to the UK for a week. Or find somewhere that is not crazy busy.

Questions come to mind.

has anyone here embarked on such a crazy adventure before.
Good ski areas that are not known to all Smile
Way to reduce the price of ski pass - Consider I will be looking at an average £300 a week for ski pass alone.
Any tips or tricks + company will be great
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gnave, with regard to the lift pass for many of the French resorts I would definitely take a look at skialacarte.fr It would seem to be tailor made for what you want to do. Apart from the subscription you only pay when you actually ski and you get debited monthly in arrears.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
when do you anticipate your 7 weeks commencing?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mr. mike, It depends on a few work factors. it can either be from the first week of Fab. Or the shorter option (5 weeks) 24 Feb onwards.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 12-12-19 16:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
7 weeks from the first week in March? Good luck with that!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
homers double wrote:
7 weeks from the first week in March? Good luck with that!

OK if you enjoy skiing slush! He'll have amazing Panda eyes by the end! Shocked Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But seriously, I think you need to start earlier, early March can be great, but the season tails off rapidly toward the end, unless you're willing to aim high & North-facing.

You should look into a season pass, it will definitely be cheaper than buying 7 separate weeks. The trick would be to find one that covers a number of ski areas that you could work your way around. Salzburg Super Ski Card comes to mind. Now you've missed the early purchase deadline, it's €830, but if you get 7 weeks use out of it, that's around £100 a week. Covers everything in Salzburg province, plus some in Tyrol, 22 ski regions, inc some glaciers like Kitzsteinhorn, Molltal & Dachstein which may come in handy when the snow retreats elsewhere. Quite a few of the resorts are on train lines, so you could transfer that wayalongwiththe odd bus or two. Start at the lower resorts, SkiWelt, Kitzbuhel, Hochkonig, Dachstein West, then move higher Schladming, Obertauern, Kaprun

https://www.superskicard.com/en/prices

https://www.superskicard.com/en/ski-regions
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homers double wrote:
7 weeks from the first week in March?

Probably the best part of the season. Enjoy!

(just pay attention to elevation, and closing dates)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@homers double, @gnave, well that sort of settles it, ValD or Tignes it is, 8 weeks remaining from the start of March.

@abc, you're absolutely correct, and you'll get all the closing parties.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 12-12-19 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gnave wrote:
I want to avoid half-term in general.

UK half-term is mid-Feb??

It's the local school holidays that are more of an issue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:

+1, that will be the key, access to high altitude, N-facing areas whilst the valley resorts are melting
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
@abc, you're absolutely correct, and you'll get all the closing parties.

@Dr John, Smile

I absolutely love late season skiing. Long day, sunshine, deep snowpack base, no crowd...

(I love having lunch outside watching the scenery. And having an apres drink at the end of the day in short sleeves is the best snowHead )

For 7 weeks, season pass will probably be a lot more economical. But, if the OP really feels like traveling, there's probably some discount deals as the season winds down. Also lodging should become plentiful and hopefully cheap. Not a bad option to move around.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 12-12-19 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
abc wrote:

+1, that will be the key, access to high altitude, N-facing areas whilst the valley resorts are melting

If it's high enough, even the non-N-facing slopes may not have started to melt yet. Moreover, there's a sweet spot of "corn snow" that's nearly as intoxicating as powder snow!

It's a good idea to pick resorts having MORE north facing slopes in late April. But as far as the skiing itself, learn to follow the sun and find the soft snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
homers double wrote:

Maybe in some places, but planning to ski several resorts at that time of year in Europe is pointless.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homers double wrote:
abc wrote:
homers double wrote:

Maybe in some places, but planning to ski several resorts at that time of year in Europe is pointless.

I can easily think of "several": Tignes, 3 Valley, Zermatt... I'm sure some of the glacier in Austria too (which I'm not too familiar)

It's more challenging to do "many" by mid-to-late April. But before Easter it shouldn't be much problem (barring a bad season)

Speaking of 3-Valleys, isn't EOSB in that time frame? Join that and change things up a bit instead of skiing alone.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 12-12-19 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm not saying its not possible, I'm saying that planning a "trip of a lifetime" at that time of year could end up a dissapointment.
snow conditions
homers double wrote:
I'm not saying its not possible, I'm saying that planning a "trip of a lifetime" at that time of year could end up a dissapointment.

All I'm saying is it's not even that difficult because there're still plenty to choose from even in April.

The OP is starting in March! That's really PRIME SEASON as far as snow condition goes. It also happen to miss the UK half term. Very Happy
ski holidays
Guys.

Please. Let's not fight Smile Lover not a fighter.

I realised what happen. I made an error in my text. so to be clear:

it can either be for seven weeks from the first week of Fab. Or the shorter option (Five weeks) 24 Feb onwards.

Sorry. My Bad.
ski holidays
@abc, 2 seasons ago in April we were packing short for the run down to the L'étincelle for late lunch, ròse and the band.

ps. you don't realise how much slush gets kicked up until you ski in shorts.
snow conditions
@gnave, the half term thing is not really relevant. UK half term only really has an impact on a few French resorts, much more important are things like Parisien half term week, Fasching, Vienna or Amsterdam half term etc. These dates are spread through most of February and the beginning of March (hence why it is high season). Italians dont have half term so the Italian resorts tend to be busy at weekends and quiet during the week, though not so much in the Südtirol (Sella Ronda etc).

Assuming you have the budget Switzerland is ideal for travelling around by train, practically any large village has or is very near to a train station. I really enjoyed skiing in Grindelwald, the skiing is perhaps not as challenging as some places but the scenery is fabulous and perfect for the train. Austria is perhaps not quite so good but many places do have train stations nearby. One area to look at is the resorts covered by the Super Ski card https://www.superskicard.tirol/en/super-ski-card-ski-pass-tyrol-salzburg-skiing-in-austria.html easy to do a few days in say both Kitzbühel and Saalbach though best to visit before mid March. St Anton is very easy by train with direct connections to Zürich and Innsbruck and is usually at its best in March even early April.
snow conditions
As Munich says, Switzerland is fantastic for train access, but it is more expensive.

The map at this link is very helpful for trying to plan something like what you are up to. http://www.craenen.com/index.php?pid=163

Swiss Magic Pass might help you on the budget side if you are willing to spend some time in less well known resorts. If in your shoes and could swing the 7 week option, my inclination would be to get the magic pass and bounce around to the smaller Swiss resorts on that pass during February when you will encounter half term prices and crowds in any French resorts and in some of the other well known resorts, and then hit 2-3 of the "biggies" in March, such as 3V, Zermatt, Arlberg, Saalbach, ValD, with your choice as to the latter dependent on snow conditions and availability of affordable accommodations.

Another thought for February would be bouncing around Italy, rather than Magic Passing, but I think your train travel options will be significantly limited there.
ski holidays
@mr. mike, Thank you for the link provided.

I am inclined to agree with the above statement. The map is already ordered Smile

Again Thank you all for being so generous with the information.
ski holidays
gnave wrote:

Sorry. My Bad.

Your bad what? Puzzled
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
gnave wrote:

Sorry. My Bad.

Your bad what? Puzzled

gnave put March instead of Fab!

If I were you gnave I'd think about USA or Canada for a real trip of a lifetime...
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
gnave wrote:

Sorry. My Bad.

Your bad what? Puzzled

If I were you gnave I'd think about USA or Canada for a real trip of a lifetime...

The USA and Canada trip has already been done Smile
ski holidays
gnave wrote:
Gainz wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
gnave wrote:

Sorry. My Bad.

Your bad what? Puzzled

ok cool I cant help further but it seems Switzerland is shockingly expensive.
latest report
Get a Verbier annual pass for 989chf and get:

6 days of skiing in Chamonix 6 days of skiing in the Aosta Valley 5 days of skiing in the Portes du Soleil 50% off a 1- to 5- day ski pass in Arosa/Lenzerheide 5 days of skiing in Vail Group resorts (Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone and many others)

5 days of skiing in Grandvalira

5 days of skiing in Silvretta Montafon 3 days of skiing in the Sierra Nevada
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
gnave wrote:

ok cool I cant help further but it seems Switzerland is shockingly expensive.

Can't be more expensive than USA/Canada

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-12-19 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Was trying to find info regarding the pass you suggested. But I am unable to find any evidence to support such pass exist Smile
ski holidays
Another season pass at €825 that covers a huge number of resorts in Tyrol, 90 ski areas, inc Ischgl/Silvretta Arena, SkiWelt, Kitzbuhel, Mayrhofen, etc. 5 glaciers inc Stubai, Hintertux & Solden, but sadly not St Anton/Arlberg.

https://snowcard.tirol.at/de/index (don't seem to have an English version?)

Another one for Italy is the Dolomiti Superski covers 12 ski regions 1220km in the Italian Dolomites. Should be enough to keep you busy for 7 weeks. €830 if purchased before 24th Dec.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Ski-pass/Prices
snow report
I am getting the sense its time to think about car hire.
I am trying to be environmentally friendly here.
snow conditions
gnave wrote:
@BobinCH, Was trying to find info regarding the pass you suggested. But I am unable to find any evidence to support such pass exist Smile

I found a half-season (from 1st Feb to close) senior pass for 989CHF, but you've got to be over-65 to get it and there was no mention of use outside the 4Vallees.

This may be the one Bob means...

http://www.verbier.ch/en/ski-area-lifts/avantages/advantages-annual-ski-pass.htm

...looks like it's 1649CHF though!
ski holidays
gnave wrote:

If you have a car, it would probably would make sense to drive down if you're staying for 7 weeks. You could then choose cheaper accommodation a short drive away from the lifts, save a load of cash that way.
snow report
luigi wrote:
gnave wrote:

If you have a car, it would probably would make sense to drive down if you're staying for 7 weeks. You could then choose cheaper accommodation a short drive away from the lifts, save a load of cash that way.

I could try and offset the cost of the car with cheaper accommodation.
TBH it's more the driving conditions I am not comfortable with.
latest report
gnave wrote:
luigi wrote:
gnave wrote:

Get a set of snow tire. You’ll never look back. (depends on how much longer you plan to keep the car)

Buy chains just in case.

Watch the weather carefully. Drive/walk to train/bus station on stormy days instead of driving yourself (or read a book)

You’ll be a good driver when the 7 weeks is done Laughing
snow report
abc wrote:
gnave wrote:
luigi wrote:
gnave wrote:

Get a set of snow tire. You’ll never look back. (depends on how much longer you plan to keep the car)

Buy chains just in case.

Watch the weather carefully. Drive/walk to train/bus station on stormy days instead of driving yourself (or read a book)

You’ll be a good driver when the 7 weeks is done Laughing

Not sure how the numbers would stack up if you had to buy a car specially for the trip, then insure, tax and resell it, but 7 weeks rental would be quite expensive, esp in Switzerland.

Snow tyres on a light FWD car will get through all sorts of bad conditions safely. I had a little Opel during the Nordstau event in Austria last Jan, the roads were being cleared & gritted pretty efficiently, but it gripped well on everything that was thrown at it.

You can plan around any bad conditions, head to a valley lift by a well-bashed road rather than a resort with a tricky hairpin access road...or as abc says,with 7 weeks to play with, you can just sit it out!
snow report
Week 1 = St Moritz
Week 2 = Wengen
Week 3 = Zermatt
Week 4 = Verbier
Week 5 = Argentiere (Chamonix)
Week 6 = Courchevel 1850
Week 7 = Val d'Isere

Worry about cost later.

Don't waste it on cr*p resorts.
snow conditions
@Whitegold, trip of a lifetime or a lifetime to pay for it? Laughing

I like your style though! wink
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Week 1 = St Moritz
Week 2 = Wengen
Week 3 = Zermatt
Week 4 = Verbier
Week 5 = Argentiere (Chamonix)
Week 6 = Courchevel 1850
Week 7 = Val d'Isere

Worry about cost later.

Don't waste it on cr*p resorts.
luigi wrote:
@Whitegold, trip of a lifetime or a lifetime to pay for it? Laughing

I like your style though! wink

Actually, St Moritz wasn’t as expensive as everyone made it out to be when I went. There’re tons of reasonable places to choose from, especially in the outlying villages, all well linked by train or buses. Only “problem”? After 1 week, I wish I could stay 4!

I’m totally unimpressed with Wengen. Good, but not great. The lift infrastructure pretty terrible. That said, one can stay down in the valley much more economically without missing out too much in the skiing. I mean ski the whole Junfrau area, not limited to just Wengen.

Haven’t been to the rest.

Oh wait, Courchevel is at 3-valley, Wink which I’ve been. Toofy Grin One week is not even close to scratching the surface!

That’s the problem with whitegold’s “style”. All those mega resorts are far more suitable for staying the whole 7 weeks than just a single week like other holiday tourists.

For the OP who wants a “road trip”, it’s better to spend a few days each at bunch of smaller mountains away from the beaten path. Unique experience with much less stress, likely cost less too.
snow conditions
gnave wrote:

The pass exists but is no longer well advertised - it’s the pass I have. And the skiing is epic. But do you want trip of a lifetime or budget resorts?

http://www.verbier.ch/fr/offre-ambassadeur.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy