Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets for big heads

Poster: A snowHead
Got a bit of a massive funny shaped head here and really struggling for helmets. Ive got a smith vantage non mips in XL which it says fits 63-67cm. My head measures at 63 but weirdly shaped at the back which makes this a tight fit and only really fits if I put it on at an angle which means the ear covers don’t really sit over my ears. Are there brands which fit larger than others?.
I know it would be great to go and try some on but in reality I wont find one XL at a local store let alone a selection.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a small head... POC I found to be massive, so maybe worth a try.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a similar issue with the Smith VantageMips. The XL was too tight. But I got a Giro and it fit well and I was a L so would recommend trying Giro as well.
You might just need to order 2-3 online and try them on at home if no stores close by.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^ yep, I also found Giro good and Smith did not work. Atomic also worth a look and Sweet Protection may be worth checking out if you can find their biggest sizes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Confusing, just been on the giro site and they don’t offer anything in xl and sweet protection say on one size guide the switcher is 61 - 63 and on their own site say 61- 64…..i need 64
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whole selection of XL helmets on Glisshop including Giro which I found to be better for me as I have a more oval than round head.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a 61cm swede. POC XL fits me perfectly. POC go to XXL which should be good for you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only Giro and Sweet Protection (Switcher only) fit me with an oval 62.5/63cm head. Just because you can get a helmet on, doesn’t mean it will be comfortable for hours at a time. I’ve tried POC and Oakley helmets that should have been big enough, but became painfully uncomfortable after an hour.

Also don’t forget you may also need to get a buff or balaclava under it as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That’s a blow as Ive just remeasured and actually come up at 64cm Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ollski2.0, I’d take the stated measurements with a pinch of salt. I haven’t measured my head but I’m sure it’s bigger than 63cm but the Sweet Protection XL just about goes on. The Giro and Atomic are probably a slightly better shape for my head though
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had an XL Giro as well as an Oakley Mod 5 large and both were fine on my 63cm head but others I've tried didnt work due to their shape

My son has a Salomon xl size that has an air bladder that pumps up from the neck roll to help with awkward head shapes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a fellow owner of a massive melon, I can tell you that the Smith Maze "just" works for me.

63cm here too.

In my extensive research on the subject I discovered that in the world of hatting there is such a thing as "asian shape". Which is basically round instead of oval.

For anyone with a massive melon, here is the greatest skit ever produced on the subject:

http://youtube.com/v/IqycJpRdVaY?si=oQ2QfxIIZhJZ_XLq
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just looking to replace my Uvex which took ages to find years ago - I've got a 64cm noggin. Tried on a Giro XL at Go Outdoors and this was just a bit uncomfortable on the top of the ears - felt like they were being folded over. According to the Giro website XL is up to 62.5cm and XL 62.5 - 65cm. Now trying to find a Giro that i like Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a right massive Swede and a POC Obex in XXL fits me beautifully.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just shows the benefit of trying before buying as we're all different - I've a fairly big head and the only one that fitted snugly & perfectly with no pinch points or gaps, and didn't look like a belisha beacon on the noggin, was a Smith Vantage, which sadly isn't right for you. I must have tried on at least a dozen different domes before finding 'the one'
snow conditions
I've got a massive head, which resembles a square in some places.....

I've got a Salomon Quest helmet and it fits lovely.
ski holidays
I'm in the big head club also Smile

Apparently it's a likely sign of brains, the skull being in ~proportion to the size of your brain. So despite the inconvenience of hat & helmet issues, maybe it's not all such bad news!?

I'm about 62.5 to 63 cm, and need a XXL helmet. Most XLs stop at 62cm, which I found out the hard way, as I bought a Quiksilver helmet many years ago in Chamonix from a French ski shop owner who was on his 10th or so helmet try on for me. So despite it not fitting quite right, I could just squeeze into it, and felt after all his efforts I simply had to buy a helmet.

So now I end up with a quicksilver logo embossed on my forehead every ski holiday from a logo in the lining which implants on my forehead after wearing the helmet for a few hours.

Other than that it's been a great helmet really, but I'd love a xxl sweet protection one, or just one that fitted me properly tbh. Smile
latest report
I'm very surprised Boris hasn't popped up on this thread yet.
snow report
I'm an absolutely brilliant skier, normally the best on the mountain when I'm out there. I'm also amazing at pretty much everything I do! I don't need a helmet.
NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
wiigman wrote:
I have a small head... POC I found to be massive, so maybe worth a try.

Weird. My missus has a pin head and she wears a size M/L POC Fornix which fits perfectly.

Head shape is a very personal thing huh!

Brilliant thread BTW! Laughing
snow conditions
For once this year i thought I'd be ahead of the game and get a new very large helmet early on, so as in London thought I'd pop in to Ellis Brigham at Westfield Stratford to have a gander and try some on.

Well despite the ski season only being a few weeks away, no ski helmets, other than clothing which may or may not be suitable, there was bug all ski gear in the shop Evil or Very Mad

The search goes on...
latest report
An update (not that anyone is really interested in my noggin) Toofy Grin

After going to Ellis B's in London, local ski shop (hopeless and then I remembered why I don't use them) and a Cotswold Outdoors, which advertised they sold helmets but actually didn't do any ski gear at all Evil or Very Mad I decided to go for a Giro Neo in XL as my cycle helmet is an XL Giro.

Fits perfectly, feels comfortable so I'm now a happy snowHead
ski holidays
Ok so a little testing today at Ellis Brigham in Bristol and it seems the Salomon is an ok fit if slightly tight, Oakley fit well but uncomfortable padding, POC seems to fit pretty well and I liked it. Basically all the 62cm sizes fitted fine and felt much rounder with a little more space at the side than the smith which really doesn’t fit well at all despite being up to 67cm. So leaning to POC obex but does anyone know if i can fit the chips wireless speakers I have into the ear pads on this helmet?
latest report
Helmets for bigheads?

You've come to the right place then
ski holidays
I guess this is a bit like bootfitting - you just need to try different things and see what works for your head shape. I also found Smiths really uncomfortable but get on really well with Giro helmets.
latest report
Not a big headed, but I need to retire my 2014 DC helmet in XL 61cm (fixed) size that fits me perfectly. Now, I'm looking at Giro Tenet and, since I've seen the name mention here, I have a question about the sizing - would I get it wrong with their L size, which is 59-62.5 cm? Giro XL is 62.5-65, that would be way too large. The other option would be POC Fornix XL-XXL, but I'm a bit worried about the ventilation (I get super hot).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy