Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doofer Discounts

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of a discount to buy/hire a french motorway doofer? We are travelling by P & O and they don'y offer such a thing but i know other companies do.....

If not

Cheeky but if you are using the euro tunnel and not getting one can i use your booking ref to get the discount? m.upston@hotmail.com

Thanks in Advance

Matt
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MattU, for protection against Spam I would remove your e-mail address and invite others to contact you by Private Message.

You can save money by going direct to the Motorway operators. I have subscribed via APRR for many years and you can see their offer here, which I suspect is cheaper than the Eurotunnel price.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair, We took the TopEuro Offer from that page, as it also works in Italy. (Spain / Portugal too, but that's a bit of a schlep from here in the Alps).
It must have already saved me 3 hours queueing at the toll booths around Milan and where the E61 forks before Trieste.
Not to mention how convenient it is in France too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MattU, We have used the APRR toll doofer in France for many years (now on our second one since the first battery ran out after about 12 years). It is delivered by post in about a week, costs 1.70 EUR per month that you actually use it (if you select online billing) and an 11 EUR "activation fee" (more like the delivery fee) for your badge - obviously plus the toll costs which currently seem to be about £52 to travel through France to Switzerland. Very easy!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Eurotunnel are promoting the same unit that the Ski Club of Great Britain did some months ago. I almost took up the offer presuming a members organisation would have its members' interests at heart and recommend the best service available. However information shared on this site presented much better value alternatives.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've used the Emovis / Sanef option in France for several to many years now - picked them initially as they had UK office in Harrogate.

The APRR offer does look attractive though with the opportunity to cover into Italy...which Sanef / Emovis don't do as far as I know...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
APRR works out cheaper than SANEF via euro tunnel.
If you go for the APRR one, on sign up it requires french style post code. The website can't deal with UK ones. Just put your UK post code as a line in the address and put 00000 in the post code box. When you come to activate the account that will be your temporary password so remember to change it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had no problems signing up and getting UK delivery via https://www.atmb.com/en/about-atmb/profile/our-values/atmb-customer-service a couple of years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We initially picked up a Sanef tag several years ago at one of their offices at the peage south of Calais, but a few years ago we were switched to a Emovis tag when they established their UK website (www.emovis-tag.co.uk), so it's a bit easier to administer now. I had a faulty tag which wasn't being read correctly, so it was much easier to deal with that through the UK website in English, as well as printing monthly statements for the taxman, etc, than it was via the French website.

I've just logged in to my Emovis account and noticed that battery in myth is near expiry, so have ordered a new one. Anyone know if it will come with a new sticky mount? I've recently changed my car and removing the old mount meant peeling off the sticky pad, so I need a new one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, My battery also near expiry so I've ordered a new one. Website syas it comes with a new clip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, We got our first one in 2012 from the Sanef website which was always in English and had a direct debit on our English bank account. Our tag needed replacing in 2017 due to the battery warning, it was a new style so came complete with mounts. It used to be possible to buy extra mounts which we did when we shared the tag with the family. These days if I need to use it in a different car then I just Blu-Tack it to the windscreen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, I think you'll find the new tag is smaller than the old one and almost certainly incompatible with the old mount, so expect a new mount. APRR issue new mounts with every badge but I can't answer for your supplier.

Otherwise, @Timc has your answer - Blue-Tack.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went through the replacement from Emovis recently - new tag came with clip so we put in the Campervan for the firsdt time - then need to move it to our car for the winter and had to buy another new clip for that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all for the info. I was thinking of ordering a spare mount, so this will save a couple of Euro.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I changed my APRR one recently, the new one is smaller and came with 2 mounts.
ski holidays
I followed the advice I was given here last Summer.
topEurop does 2 doofers: one covers France, Spain and Portugal; the other additionally covers Italy.
They cost 11€ and 15€ respectively.

I seem to recall it was clearly cheaper than the Emovis one at the time.
snow report
MHskier wrote:
I had no problems signing up and getting UK delivery via https://www.atmb.com/en/about-atmb/profile/our-values/atmb-customer-service a couple of years ago.

I like the look of that one -
€11 + €4 postage + €1.90 for every month you use it. So €16.90 for the convenience of using the doofer lanes.
ski holidays
When the battery started failing on my old one I was offered the top-europe upgrade at no charge by APRR which was a bit of a bonus. Then I went to Spain/France with it this summer and was pretty pee'd off to find it was faulty and didn't work Evil or Very Mad It's been exchanged now so I'll find out if the new one works on BoxingDay.
snow report
We've got an aprr doofer (old style).

The only thing I don't like is not knowing whether the battery is gone or being able to replace it myself (the battery).

Anyone know if the new has a battery indicator or a changeable battery?
snow conditions
@Layne, my new one has no indication. I believe the predicted life is around seven years so I simply returned my last one as faulty at the seven year mark. New one sent at no cost.
ski holidays
Has anyone used one with a heated screen? My soon to be car has one and I can't see anywhere on the emovis site about them, only the heat reflecting windscreens.
ski holidays
@harrim51, yes I have an APRR one and it works fine with my Discovery Sport (and previously Jaguar XF).

My wife has an Evoque and it doesn't work through the windscreen apart from in a little bare patch, possibly for exactly this purpose, to the sides of the rear-view mirror
latest report
@harrim51, we have a Mondeo with a heated screen, our APRR doofer works fine.
snow report
Alastair wrote:
@Layne, my new one has no indication. I believe the predicted life is around seven years so I simply returned my last one as faulty at the seven year mark. New one sent at no cost.

Yeah, it's remembering when I got it and also I guess it depends on usage. We normally do 2 x one week ski trips and a couple of summers we've done two week holidays to the west coast. Just hard to gauge/remember. A pita.
snow conditions
New doofer arrived, with a new windscreen mount so that's all sorted. Unfortunately the amount of window screen which is free of the thermic coating is minimal, and mostly obscured by the plastic panel which covers the car's GPS antenna, sensor for autowipers, etc. Hopefully the doofer signal will be able to reach the doofer well enough to be read by the toll gates.
ski holidays
Thanks all, I guess I have to cross fingers and approach slowly... I don't want the reverse of shame. (Mrs will have to wave the thing out the window shouting "I'm English don't you know"... Very Happy )
ski holidays
Oh they know...
latest report
Evening all. I need Italian functionality as well as the French. Have tried the Top Europ and Bip&Go and neither like my UK bank account. Anyone have a Italian toll tag on a UK account or am I missing something?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My APRR Top Europ tag is linked to a credit card. Never been a prodlem
snow report
@Val Desire, I’ve got a Bip&Go tag. Earlier this year they wrote to me to say that they were stopping payments by credit card. I sent them my uk bank details to set up a direct debit. They wrote back to say that wouldn’t work because I’d given them a sterling account. Having checked with the bank (Santander) they confirmed it couldn’t be done unless I had a Euro account. As it happened I had a Starling bank account (for free cash withdrawals abroad) and they offer a Euro account. Took 5 mins to set that up online and that works fine. Use it for the doofer and for ski a la carte with no problems.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy