Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring pants

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Over the years I've amassed quite a collection of ski touring pants, RAB (yes they did make some), Mountain Equipment, as well as more lightweight ski pants that I've used, such as Black Diamond and Scott.

As has been alluded to in another thread manufacturers seem to go out of their way to make the boot gaiter/cuff (most ski touring pants do not have an internal one) as tight as possible to get over your boot, which in ski touring is a PITA as you do adjust your buckles/power strap a lot for transitions.

And yes, most ski pants will more than adequately do the job, and also it does very much depend on the weather that you'll be going out in.

The main criteria that I love in a good touring pant is a stretchy type material as opposed to a hard shell, that said I have been touring eight or so times this season wearing my Outdoor Research (Powder Magazine's first-ever apparel of the year winner) Hemisphere Jacket and bib pants, and they utilise stretch Goretex, the strech tech is great under the crutch and helps kick-turns no end.

With the more clement weather of late, though still very cold, I've notched up around 5 (soon to be 6 today) wearing Millet touring pant POLARTEC® POWERSHIELD® STRETCH and I love these, so much so that when I get back I don't take them off for ages!

Leg vents are on the outside, so you don't get a thigh full of powder when kick turning, plus there's a mesh as well, as opposed to on the inside, though sometimes when on a traverse in deep snow, with outside vents you can get snow coming in.

Two good pockets, but no rear one.

And the all-important factor great to get on and off the top of your boots with some well thought out zips etc

I picked mine up in the summer at a damn good price, but you can still get them even now at under a €100
https://altitoo.com/pantalon-de-randonnee-solde/12432-pantalon-softshell-homme-ski-de-randonnee-touring-shield-pt.html

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any recommendations for light, breathable touring pants for Spring? do people wear a light wicking base layer underneath?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm also in the market for a pants suitable for touring (I'm going to be new to touring in January). I want a pants that is a good all rounder, for lift served off piste, a bit of touring, a bit of piste. Am I best off to go with a hard shell pants and layer accordingly?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, I swear by Norrona, and the lyngen range specifically. Very light, breathable, and full length side vents. I have thin 3/4 length base layer from Peak performance that does a great job.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Any recommendations for light, breathable touring pants for Spring? do people wear a light wicking base layer underneath?

It depends on temperatures, but normally I run hot and I need good breathability, so in spring and on a sunny/good weather day I'm only wearing softshell pants (Last season I used dynafit radical, I don't like a lot the cut and some features, but stretchiness and soft shell is good, but now I would choose Mercury pants, really good ones). In colder days, I only add a 3/4 base layer (also in bad weather).

So I recommend to focus on breathability and stretchiness, Millet, Marmot, also produce good touring shells/pants. In this area there are a lot of good options, better try and decide depending on how fits you..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, those Millett pants will do the job in all conditions.

I've gone up at nigh on 600m an hour sweating like a pig as well as other tours at a more moderate pace.

You can wear 3/4 merino leggings under them should you do wish.

Today's tour tad delayed as we found a dog in the road and we've been waiting for Police Municipal to show standing around in the shade in minus 5 and legs felt fine with no layer underneath Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
I've gone up at nigh on 600m an hour

show off
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dr John, I'll ping you the Strava link if you'd like it Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, I roast when touring in cold conditions so want as thin as possible. For this reason, Merino underneath is definitely too warm. I bought a thin wicking DF base layer and interested in a light breathable shell. I have an old pair of Haglofs touring hard shells but imagine soft shell more comfortable? As per @AlTom, will try a few on...

Ps surprised you don’t just take the dog up with you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, I like the look of those trousers - can I check sizing before I order a pair... if you're prepared to disclose your vital stats, what size do you use and what's your waist/height/weight?

Alternatively, if you're shy about such numbers, I'm 72kg, 178 tall and 80cm (32") waist. I was looking at the M but have experienced French sizing before which bears little resemblance to reality. I have to buy XL t-shirts from Decathlon!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rab Spire pants. Definitely not a touring specific pair of trousers but they are extremely comfortable. The zips for the ski boot are just adequate and at around £100/115 not overpriced. Not sure what the fabric is but has good wind resistance and I've never needed a base beneath them. On a broader theme us chaps should count ourselves lucky.
We can buy trousers from a variety of manufacturers in colours other than black, ladies of short stature do not have this luxury, my Mrs can get fairly vocal on the subject!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, maybe try some noronna lyngen hybrid pants. I got a pair in the outlet - really breathable and well vented. Not totally waterproof but good enough except on full storm days and/or peeing rain
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Conditions again above 2,200 on N facing aspect were cold, so cold I was wearing full gloves, that said legs in those Millet pants were just right (no base layer), I was not working too hard as it was a mates birthday powder tour and he was 70 today (big chapeau), that said pace was just over 300m per hour and he does faff a lot plus quite a few technical kick turns at the start.

The temp was ideal, I did throw on a gossamer lightweight jacket to keep the breeze off and as you see I do have a matching top which is light and I wear a light T under that.

As for stats, just looked back at my order and they were large, I'm 78kgs and 5'10" waist circa 33" they also have an internal drawstring and I do wear a strap belt that can double up as a tourniquet or anything else, hopefully, will never need it for that!

Compared to the likes of Noronna they are a steal in terms of value for money and the Millet quality is great.

Here's me modelling my outfit for you all Laughing

That's my 14th ski tour of the season so far and I did surprise a chamois as I came out of a section of forest Very Happy
Top right of picture.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today we were doing some more slack country escaping the hordes by skinning up only for 25 mins or so (we did two laps) into a sector that is not yet open which I did yesterday when I was wearing my Outdoor Research Hemisphere bib pants with the stretch Goretex, the stretch tech, today I was wearing a more normal pant, still baggy and even though I was not breaking trail like I had to yesterday as we followed my same track, when it came to the same kick turns I really had to work to get the first ski into the downhill position as the pants were just so restrictive, so please check that you have a stretchy crotch Laughing

Filmed with the drone again today and managed to get it to follow not too bad.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:

I tend to wear proper softshell (i.e., some stretchknit, brushed back, non-membrane but DWR finished) pants for skitouring. I don't wear a base layer underneath and depending on the forecast conditions I MAY carry a pair of very light weight goretex paclite type over trousers. On a hut to hut trip I may well carry a pair of stretch fleece tights for wearing round the hut and as an extra layer if the weather turns really cold.

There are a myriad of options for this sort of thing because they are basically standard mountaineering gear (I've got some Marmot ones and some very lightweight ones from Fjern but these are more for summer mountaineering and would probably need a base layer).
The mountain equipment touring pants I have actually do have some membrane fabric on the seat and front of thighs which is a compromise but I don't find that makes much of a difference.

As Weathercam says, the only real issue with these sorts of pants is whether they are a struggle to fit over your boots.
Ironically, that is less of an issue on longer tours because you typically do fewer transitions.
I've not found it a big problem anyway but I think it might come down to your style of boot - I think 4-buckle overlap boots are bulkier than 3-buckle cabrios.

I think the alternative is to wear hardshell pants with the zips open but I find that less convenient and comfortable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy