Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Risk of boot/binding malfunction

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

This topic has been around my head for a while. I am about to start to do a lot of skitouring in the 'backcountry' this season, a total beginner at the moment (in touring, not in skiing). Education on techniques and mountain safety is very accessible for me, but I have not found anything related to equipment malfunctions.

Let's take cycling as an example; you check your gear before going out to decrease the risk of a mechanical, yet you take a multitool, spare tube, bla bla, etc. Now we know that the ski/binding/boot is more robustly built and it has less failure modes than a mountain bike, but I have not heard of anyone talking about how to deal with potential issues while touring. My assumption is that the risks are just very low for, say, a binding breaking. But shall we be prepared for a case like this? If so, how should we prepare? The consecuences of ending up stranded in deep snow with no comunication are, in my opinion, too high to not consider these scenarios. What are your opinions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NEVER, EVER venture off piste without gaffer tape. Wrapped around the shaft of your pole, wrapped around an old credit card in you pack, anywhere but back at the apartment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@midgetbiker, Shocked what about the women?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apart from taking a whole roll of duck tape, your options are (and I've lost mine) a couple of long cable ties, and I know a guide that carries wire, and rather than take a roll of duck tape you can put quite a bit around your ski poles.

I also wear a belt that is in effect a strap that could also be useful possibly.

Communication is also vital, more so if travelling on your own in the backcountry, I have a Garmin Inreach Mini, which is a bit OTT and I have to admit to forgetting it on a couple of occasions, but not so when I'm on my own. The logic in having one of these is that it will be sods law that you'll have an incident when you don't have a mobile signal, I also do a fair bit of stuff not just in the winter season.

And obviously a decent multi-tool with pliers, and first aid kit and survival blanket etc and a spare down jacket is also a good option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are some good tips in this Wildsnow.com article - https://www.wildsnow.com/18228/building-first-aid-and-repair-kits/

As for communications, the sky is the limit (literally), with PRB’s, InReach, Sat Phones etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few hefty cable ties take up very little weight and could be used to secure a boot to a binding.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whether it's of any use in this situation or not I'm unsure, but I keep some of these with emergency tool kit as they are easy to work by hand and with pliers

https://www.toolstation.com/stainless-steel-type-4-cavity-wall-tie/p63957?store=M2&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4eSTpMu15gIVGeDtCh3VIArHEAQYBCABEgKVs_D_BwE

They are a ductile stainless steel with a few of them being very light weight, but if you loop them round components and twist them to secure they are very strong. I've made quite a few ad hoc repairs with them on varying bits of kit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, I should have thought about the gaffer tape and zip-ties. Will throw them in the bag along with the only screwdriver needed for my bindings (F12). Thanks for the replies. Stay safe out there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Breaking a binding in the backcountry, especially if you are not on 10+ year old 2nd hand gear is VERY rare. I think I have seen 2 binding failures in 22 seasons (100+ days per year) that necessitated a bodged repair or walking out. I am excluding crashes where bindings got broken but the binding was not realy going to be a worry as the person was also broken beyond being able to ski out - only had one of these situation.
I have done less than 100 days, probably less than 50 days of serious MTB ing and I've had 10+ situations where I or others had to perform some sort of repair just to get home.
Unless you are going to the middle of nowhere (beyond alps etc) then I wouldn't bother unless you are on doggy old gear!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Idris, Just to add to what you said, I have seen one binding failure like that on ancient gear. We bodged it to get back to the car. Pretty rare.

This week I've seen two failures – a guy with a ski which was missing the entire heel piece Shocked heading towards the train to download, and then today a snowboarder I was with popped the toe buckle of one of his bindings and lost the connecting piece. Fortunately, we weren't far from the piste and he was handy enough to carry on down. Neither of those looked particularly old.

On a similar topic, I saw a young woman (20s) in rear entry boots this morning. I'm not sure they really fitted with the Bognor style she was otherwise rocking Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For a broken ski pole I always carry a length of old pole about 4in long, which I've sawn lengthwise so it can be expanded/contracted and slid over the break, and secured with a couple of jubilee clips to make a pretty foolproof repair.

It's been used twice over a number of years for breakages...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sep, It might also be worthwhile considering some form of ski finder or breakable leash, as nothing will ruin your day quite like spending a couple of hours trying to find a lost ski. I've seen someone heli rescued as the result of losing a ski.

@geoffers, I've seen ski poles lost when tree skiing, so carrying a folding pole is an option for a 200g penalty. When touring in a group of course, the 'what if gear' can be split between the group to share the load.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
midgetbiker wrote:
NEVER, EVER venture off piste without gaffer tape. Wrapped around the shaft of your pole, wrapped around an old credit card in you pack, anywhere but back at the apartment.

Support for my assertion:

https://www.whitedotskis.com/blogs/news/why-you-should-always-carry-tape
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ll endorse cable ties ( I’ve used them to fix femoral fracture in the past ), gaffer tape and multi tool.
I also take super glue as it can be used to close up small cuts that would otherwise bleed like hell.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I’ll endorse cable ties ( I’ve used them to fix femoral fracture in the past ), gaffer tape and multi tool.

Blimey, I know things are tough in the NHS these days but didn't think we were quite having to Maguyver it! Damn you Hancock!
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, Yup, superglue is very useful for climbing too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy