Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aosta Ski hire feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if there was any recommendations for good value family ski hire around Aosta? Just a bit concerned it will be a scrum that first sunday of the feb half term at the bottom of the gondola...? We have a car so could use somewhere not quite as busy if it's got a good reputation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frachey sport in champoluc.. Just pre book!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@yorkshirelad, bit of a trek just to find a ski shop, no? Over an hour round trip ...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm new on here but hopefully can help with this one. We went at half term last year to Pila, stayed in Aosta. It wasn't too busy, its not like France. We booked ski hire at Gal Sport AOSTA, which is the shop at the bottom gondola via Snowrental.co.uk (Resort - Aosta shop - Gal Sport AOSTA). Tyrion look-a-like is very attentive and helpful!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm looking at that one. If not busy will probably do that. We're 10 min from that Aosta gondola but the Courmayear shops are ~£50 cheaper......but you'd have ski there first and last day of the trip there either side of the big journey to and from UK. If you'[d all said it will be horrendously busy with UK ski kids I'd probably do the Courmayear option but it's not ideal.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It will be fairly busy with UK school kids but the majority of them will be on organised school trips and therefore not troubling the local rental shops - they will be getting their skis from the Tour operator in an independent location. Not known Gal Sport, under the gondola station, to be especially busy that time of year. If they are, head up the gondola to Pila itself and you can rent from one of the small shops under the lift's top station.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok great. Thanks for the info
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interski were doing a fair few british ski school trips at half term last year. But in general we found it OK, not over busy. Another good thing about Gal Sport is they have lockers (well more like a bunch of sheds) where you can leave the hired gear overnight. Interski had their own hire location in the main car park from what I remember.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's an alternative to Gal Sports in Aosta - http://www.technosport.vda.it/new/. Only about 5-10 mins from the bottom of the gondola.

Gal is ok for hire, and has some great skis, but can be limited on boots. I've twice had the experience of a friend/family member not being able to find something comfortable there because they were low on stock during a busy period.

Failing those two bottom of lift options, there are several options in Pila itself as mentioned above.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There’s a second ski hire adjacent to the gondola carpark on the town side.
http://www.skiserviceaosta.it/
I have no idea if they are ok as I haven’t used them.
I would agree with whats been said above, Aosta is not as busy even in the holidays as french resorts.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a good response from technosport so going to go with them. It will be easy to swing in there over the river in the car before going to the gondola first/last day. Thanks all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did you find Technosport better priced than Gal Sports via skiset/snowrental then? They don't appear on AlpinSports site. There seems to be a dearth of other shops in the area. There's one or two in Pila itself that I can see, but as we're staying in Aosta and will be coming up the Gondola on day 1, I'm guessing it will be a faff to get stuff sorted out up there and probably no cheaper than Gal Sports at the end of the day? Unless anyone knows differently and we can leave "walking shoes" in the rental shop in Pila and simply put boots/snowboards in some kind of storage each evening?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does Technosport do equipment rental ? The shop is just full of race kit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
Does Technosport do equipment rental ? The shop is just full of race kit.

Kind of sounds like it from what MHSkier says above! Unless he's a racer wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I described what the family needed as intermediates and yes cheaper. But no actual booking process/deposit so not quite sure to make of that.
snow conditions
And no I’m definitely not a racer!
ski holidays
@MHskier, The Technosport owners speak good english so wouldn't have thought that there was a misunderstanding. I just don't remember seeing any non-race equipment at the shop, either for sale or rental.
latest report
Update on this - Was all booked with technosport for a v competative price starting on the sunday date - all v relaxed, no deposit needed etc. Just didn't sound quite right so I checked re sunday pick up - "we are closed Sunday but open monday" !!

So cancelled and booked with Gal sports - ok price via Skiset website - so hopefully it'll be reasonably quiet , good skis and with boots for the boys (we have our own).
snow report
I hired from Gal sports on Monday, good service. I have my own skis but thought I'd try some slalom skis for my last day as the pistes are firm! I hired Rosingnol Hero Elite (I think) for 30 euros for the day for 'premium skis'. Good fun.
ski holidays
I'm struggling to get a reply from Gal sports on email or fb messenger. May have to resort to using the phone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy