Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
anyone use goggles that change tint in reaction to light conditions? automatically? without changing lenses?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, Zebra red by Julbo - I wrote about them last year in response to a similar question. It's a common question so you'll find lots of info if you "search" the forums - use the term photochromic Smile!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, used them for several years. Less hassle than carrying two pairs like we used to do, or two lenses like we used to do more recently.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
any particular brand you'd recommend?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have some Bolle Light Control Lenses (Gravity model) - but prefer Oakley Prizm (Flight Deck), which isn't photochromic, but can cope with a wide range of conditions. The Bolle NXT lenses are good and they have now brought out a 2.0 version.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you look, different brands have different ranges of transmission. I used a pair of Salomons for the last 3 seasons and I found they work in all conditions I ride in. I don't think I've ridden at night in them, but for everything else they work fine. I can't remember the transmission range, but it's fine. You only ever notice the effect when (say) entering a dark forest from being out in the open, when for about 5 seconds you remember that you have to wait 5 seconds or so for things to adjust.

In ancient times you'd just have to take your goggles off if riding through dark forest; it was never practical to switch lenses part-way down a run, even if you like stopping which I don't. Worse, most forests where I ride don't run to the valley bottom, so if you tried that, you'd have to switch back again! I did use the "two lens" systems when that's all there was, they were better than carrying two pairs of goggles, but not sensible to change mid-run. I used the switchable systems to switch lenses when the sun went in, but not mid run. Before multiple lens/ photochromic was about, you'd either carry two pairs, or struggle a bit in extremely bright/ extremely dark conditions. It was a first-world problem and entirely tolerable, but it's no longer necessary to make even those compromises. Of course if you fall over or sweat a lot then there's an argument for two pairs in any case, but it's easier to not do that.

I just got a second pair of Salomons this season. They look pretty much the same, albeit a bit bigger as per current fashion. I've yet to try them on snow. These come with a second lens as well as the photochromic (!) - that's for night use, I think.

From what I recall there wasn't a clear winner in the "transmission range" or "speed to change" specifications - I expect they all come from the same factory.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used both Julbo and Smith photochromic.

Gave the Julbo to my friends son, as the frame i'd chosen was too small...

But apart from that, they are both excellent.

To quote myself:-
"Smith are good - the newest photochromic rose chromapop is even better than my previous smith red sensor photochromic, worn under floodlights through to bright sunny days."
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the decathlon ones, they've muscled out my Oakleys from regular use as I like them so much
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a pair of Cairns which I really like and work in both bright and last run of the day conditions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy