Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my skis too big for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Faction Prodigy 2.0 skis (2019) online at a discounted price.

The skis are 184cm long, which I thought would be okay given my height, build, and weight (male, 188cm tall, 76kg). The only other option available was 160cm.

However, upon arrival the skis seem huge! I'm concerned they will be difficult to manoeuvre.

I would say my ski level is intermediate - I have been skiing for a number of years (~a decade) but have only been on two ski trips away in the past. I'm going on a trip to Canada in January 2020.

Does anyone have any words of advice?

Many thanks,

jnza0121
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
activity and age play a part

This is advice for a more senior skier

https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/2016/02/choosing-ski-length-mogul-skiing-part-1-of-4/
https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/2016/02/choosing-ski-length-five-decision-factors-part-2-of-4/
https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/2016/02/choosing-ski-length-making-the-decision-part-3-of-4/
https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/2016/02/choosing-ski-length-final-thoughts-part-4-of-4/

IIRC for touring skis at chin-eye level
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The numbers don't look bad to me, and that type of ski usually gives you an easy time with broad gateway to let you build confidence.

Only you know how you ski but it doesn't look out of range, more like fun from reading description. They may appear long just standing there but the rockered profile will generally make them fairly catch free regarding accidentally hooking up tip and tail and scaring you, which they shouldn't do. Mid 90mm waist I feel is a good point to be at for many snow depths too.

Looks like a good basis to explore and develop skills.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rocker at both ends makes them ski a lot shorter. Not too stiff for your weight. Length is perfect for your height. Only reason for dropping down one length is if you were skinning on them and wanted a slightly shorter tail for kick turns etc.

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are a little on the long side for a 76kg Intermediate, All Mountain type ski....but they are fairly soft, so you might as well give them a go, now that you have them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a way of illustration, put them base to base, then squeeze them so they touch together underfoot, now measure the amount the edges continously touch from one end to the other.

That'll give you more idea what the "on piste" effective ski length is for reasonable comparison purposes.

You'll see for yourself just how much of the ski will be elevated from flat piste, and why they are easier to turn in that situation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the replies everyone, and for the welcome. Pleased to be a part of the community.

SBP - I'm in my mid twenties and in relatively 'good' fitness (no athlete) but nevertheless a helpful read.

Ski3 and spyderjon - very reassuring, thank you! I hadn't given much thought to the impact of the rockers on effective length so thanks for pointing that out. Skinning isn't currently on the agenda.

Old Fartbag - as you say I am now stuck with them, so I will try my best to make them work!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 23-11-19 20:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dope...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 23-11-19 20:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
From Blister - review was for the 3.0 which is a bigger ski...

According to Faction, the skis in their new “Dictator” series are:

“Your classic freeride flat tail ski, reimagined and rebooted into the 21st century.”

(Kind of like BladeRunner 2049, I suppose. But I digress.)

Faction continues, “Perfect for straightlining that couloir or arcing turns on blue ice, the Dictator series is for those who want to ski at mach 10 everywhere the can. Surprisingly nimble for a performance ski, a lightweight poplar / paulownia core reinforced with dual titanal layers and combined with dual-radius sidecuts and a healthy dose of tip and tail rocker make the range float in the pow, plow through the crud, super stable at speed, yet nimble underfoot.”

It’s also pretty interesting the terms that Faction lists under the Dictator series’ “Product Profile”:

Charger
High Speed
High Performance
And under the Dictator series’ “Consumer Profile”:

25-45 yrs old
Weekend Warrior
Lunatics / Maniacs
Die Hard Skiers (which seems a bit contradictory to “Weekend Warrior”?)
Inbound Hikers
So all of you 25-45 year old die-hard, lunatic, weekend-warriors who like to hike inbounds … please meet your (very specific) ski.

I think you may have misread the original post Bobin - they are Prodigy 2.0's, not Dictators!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jnza0121, phew! Apologies for the confusion. Will remove that review! Much better choice - hope you enjoy them!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, no worries! Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep definitely too big - will probably kill you. If you just want to mail them to me I'll get rid of them safely for you.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do they match your jacket? That’s critical.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, nice try Laughing

@under a new name, I still need to get one! Any recommendations?
latest report
No, you'll be fine
snow conditions
jnza0121 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
From Blister - review was for the 3.0 which is a bigger ski...

According to Faction, the skis in their new “Dictator” series are:

“Your classic freeride flat tail ski, reimagined and rebooted into the 21st century.”

(Kind of like BladeRunner 2049, I suppose. But I digress.)

Faction continues, “Perfect for straightlining that couloir or arcing turns on blue ice, the Dictator series is for those who want to ski at mach 10 everywhere the can. Surprisingly nimble for a performance ski, a lightweight poplar / paulownia core reinforced with dual titanal layers and combined with dual-radius sidecuts and a healthy dose of tip and tail rocker make the range float in the pow, plow through the crud, super stable at speed, yet nimble underfoot.”

It’s also pretty interesting the terms that Faction lists under the Dictator series’ “Product Profile”:

Charger
High Speed
High Performance
And under the Dictator series’ “Consumer Profile”:

25-45 yrs old
Weekend Warrior
Lunatics / Maniacs
Die Hard Skiers (which seems a bit contradictory to “Weekend Warrior”?)
Inbound Hikers
So all of you 25-45 year old die-hard, lunatic, weekend-warriors who like to hike inbounds … please meet your (very specific) ski.

I think you may have misread the original post Bobin - they are Prodigy 2.0's, not Dictators!

Yes Dictator 3.0 188 is a lot of ski - perfect for Bobin’s exploits on the Bec
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
snow conditions
jnza0121 wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Faction Prodigy 2.0 skis (2019) online at a discounted price.

The skis are 184cm long, which I thought would be okay given my height, build, and weight (male, 188cm tall, 76kg). The only other option available was 160cm.

However, upon arrival the skis seem huge! I'm concerned they will be difficult to manoeuvre.

I would say my ski level is intermediate - I have been skiing for a number of years (~a decade) but have only been on two ski trips away in the past. I'm going on a trip to Canada in January 2020.

Does anyone have any words of advice?

Many thanks,

jnza0121

I would say that 184 cm should not be far from the ideal size in my opinion. 160 cm for is a size for light women or teens.
ski holidays
Isn’t that the longest they make that ski in though? I’m sure you’ll cope with them fine, but personally if a 76kg intermediate asked me what length ski they should buy, my answer wouldn’t be the absolute longest they manufacture in that model.
snow report
@steve77

There is one upper size more, if I remember. Our friend's weight is average but he is tall (that counts too). Moreover, on these "soft AM" skis I would rather recommend keeping some length for different reasons. So my personal guess is that he is not very far.
snow conditions
@proskilab, @Steve77, thanks for the input - based on everyone's contributions I think the consensus is that they should be more than adequate.

When I eventually get around to testing them out I'll post my thoughts on this thread if that's something people would be interested in.
snow conditions
This guy seems to like them! They look quite flexible so I'm sure you'll be fine!

http://youtube.com/v/P52H2yQXAFY&vl=en-GB
ski holidays
@ski3, that's a good tip for assessing active length Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy