Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grandson's broken arm

Poster: A snowHead
I went on grandson's first ski holiday in Feb 2019. He loved it and when asked what he wanted for Christmas he said "to ski". So we booked a s/c holiday for Christmas. A week ago he broke his arm doing "gnarly tricks" on his scooter. Boys!!! He has to undergo surgery on Sunday to fix the break and will be in shoulder to wrist plaster possibly with a plate. He still wants to go and we are looking at a winter holiday together with a little skiing for some. We shall take it in turns. Can you please suggest what we can do with him to give him a nice time other than take an iPad and plug him in.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ps we are going to Ischgl and he is 7
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ask the surgeon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could there be a problem with insurance?

Learning to ski involves falling over, frequently. 4 weeks post surgery seems rather short.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
can you get the trip swapped/delayed to later in the season?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@abc, i dont think she is suggesting skiing....rather still going and wants ideas to keep the boy occupied. 'A little skiing for some'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Main is flying or driving too soon after an operation though 4 weeks could be clear. I am normally one for going ahead no matter what under these circumstances I would be talking to the insurance company about changing to an Easter holiday?

Sorry don’t know ischgl as to how much there is a for a non-skier to do.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@margaret, are you flying? If so you’ll likely need a split cast rather than solid one, in case of swelling.

Also you may find (as I did when my son broke his arm a couple of months ago) that you are required to pay a significant insurance topup to travel with a broken limb, as there is an increased probability that you’ll require a hospital trip whilst away. We lucked out because the plaster came off a few days before, and there was no subsequent hospital appointment, so no extra insurance required in the end.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
under these circumstances I would be talking to the insurance company about changing to an Easter holiday?.

Good suggestion
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Speaking from personal experience x2 .... If flying with any kind of plaster you will need to provide evidence that the plaster has been on for more than 48hrs and that he is fit to fly even if 4 weeks post op
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to admit I tend to side with the 'try and postpone it' view.

All the things I can think of to do with a sporty 7 year old on a winter holiday are probably not a good idea so soon after surgery on a broken arm.

Skiing x
Sledging X
Snowball fights X
Swimming X

On the other hand, if he's going to be limited in what he can do anyway, there could be worse places to be than somewhere nice in the alps. It just seems a shame to use up holidays when skiing and almost all the fun things are out of bounds.

Suggestions I can make are:

Making snowmen
Going up to the mountain restaurants to meet up for lunch
Walking in snowshoes
Reindeer rides, etc (if there are any)
Trying to spot wildlife
Take plenty of board games
Do lots of treats so he can be happy when others are off doing what he'd really like to be doing - Ice creams, cakes, hot chocolate, etc
A lot of resorts do a ski show one evening - make sure you go to it.
Has he ever shown any interest in photography? maybe get him a digital camera so he can take photos and show everyone his pictures in the evening
Ipad - Obviously. I assume the apartment has wifi
We used to take VHS/DVDs of favourite films to watch - does anyone still do this (DVDs obviously)

And make sure he has a good pair of snow boots . You want him to keep warm and also to do whatever you can to make sure he doesn't slip and fall over when being his usual adventurous self.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 30-11-19 10:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

@margaret, are you flying? If so you’ll likely need a split cast rather than solid one, in case of swelling.

This^

What kind of surgery is he having?
I’ve seen implants fail where blood supply is compromised by swelling under a cast. Even a long drive can cause some swelling just from inactivity, so make sure you check with the surgeon.

Can you ask him what he’s hoping to do? IME children who can’t join in as they would like to often have a miserable time (although I hope your grandson is different).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How old. We had this last new year with eldest son. Broke collar bone 3 weeks before we went to Morzine. He was a big 14 yr old so after two days of tramping round the cafes of Avoriaz and is meeting him regularly he started riding the buses and lifts that allowed pedestrians. We also scheduled a couple of lunches then afternoon snowshoe walks as a family. We also had another family that met with him. He’s pretty good in his own company and other than a couple of points when he got down about missing skiing he had a good week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a slight tangent, when this happened to us, I discovered a problem with annual travel insurance.

We had a policy that predated the accident and the trip, and was still in force at the time of travel. Yet if we wanted to travel we were required to pay an additional premium to cover the additional risk associated with travelling with a broken limb. The alternative was to receive a full refund (tho it was unclear if that was the whole family, or just my son and one of us to look after him).

Apparently all annual policies are structured in this way, which I’d never realised. Additional risks that arise during the policy aren’t really covered (tho they argued that providing the option of a full refund meant that they had covered it). This contrasts with e.g. car insurance where you won’t be charged anything extra if your risk profile changes during the year, you’ll only have the premium loaded on renewal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nathan - a 10 year old on one of our extended family holiday broke his ankle jumping off a wall in school just a couple of weeks before a ski holiday. They fitted him up with an extra strong kind of cast. They were staying in a friend's apartment in our complex and he'd skied before with a lovely French instructor I'd used a lot (who called him "Nathan" French style, of course, to rhyme with "baton"). We arranged for Stéphane to take him out twice on a "handiski". The second time, with the lad's Dad accompanying them on a snowboard and doing some filming, Stéphane arrived back at the bottom without, really, enough time to take him up again before the start of his next ski lesson. So, warning all concerned that this was going to be a rapid descent, he set off up the chairlift. He was, of course, a wizard skier and they came down at warp speed, leaving Dad (a good snowboarder) way behind. The grin didn't come off Nathan's face for hours - never had he dreamt of moving so fast down a mountain.

Most resorts have handiskis and an Austrian instructor could be guaranteed to keep your grandson safe.

Nathan also did a lot of toboganning that holiday. His ankle case was pretty bomb proof - and he had a waterproof boot thing which went over the top.

I can't remember any discussion about additional insurance, though probably that discussion should have taken place.

But postponing to Easter might be the best bet!
ski holidays
Am looking not to postpone, but to take him again. We are big softies and the little lad has been through a lot, he has lost his Dad, and his Grandad wants to ski with him. So, how snow sure is la Rosiere at Easter? Looking at the 12 th April.
ski holidays
Going that week there could well be a SFaB...

Link to last years https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140794
ski holidays
That would be fun. I am taking that to mean a snowheads family bash?
latest report
Sending a kid to a ski resort, with a broken arm, 4 weeks after smashing himself to bits, and 3 weeks after major surgery, is just about the stupidest thing ever said on the Internet!

The slightest knock or slip and he could be left with agony of pain, lifelong health problems, disfigurement, disability, possibly even death.

He shouldn't be going anywhere near slippy ice or snow for 2-3 months, until fully healed.

La Rosiere in mid-April, 4 months away, will be fine. Resort is high, with plenty snowguns.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 30-11-19 19:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Whitegold, Errr, I think the O/P was asking about non ski entertainment?
ski holidays
margaret wrote:
That would be fun. I am taking that to mean a snowheads family bash?

That’s the one, it is listed on up coming events

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715
latest report
He is NOT going to ski. He knows that but still wants to experience a white Christmas. We are looking for inspiration to entertain. I have gone to a ski resort on crutches so know what it is like. There is no way we will put him at risk. He still wants to go and with doctors permission he will and we will accommodate. He will still be in plaster, but we would only take him with the surgeons permission. No insurance otherwise.
Easter could be a goer Very Happy
snow conditions
@margaret, as your grandson broke his arm doing "gnarly tricks" he sounds quite adventurous Laughing , so he might care to do the Ischgl Skyfly zipline (it looks like you sit in a harness with your arms free, so having an arm in plaster shouldn't be a handicap, but obviously you'd need to check with the operators): https://www.ischgl.com/en/Active/Action-in-Ischgl/Ischgl-Skyfly
ski holidays
@paulh, to be fair to @Whitegold, i kind of agree with him on this case, the last thing you want is him walking to the shops/restaurants etc and slipping over on (potentially) icy pavements/roads and not being able to try and control the fall, or worse still exacerbate the injury.

@margaret,
i understand the lure of a white xmas in a ski resort, and especially as you say he has had a hard time recently, but what about a feb half term trip, he may be fit enough to ski by then, and not much longer after xmas?

hope he gets better soon
ski holidays
If you do decide to go I would be inclinedvto ring up the tourist office and find out what's going on. We've been away at Christmas to France several timed and it is magical and there's always been lots going on. Make sure you see the torchlit descents, Santa etc and there may be things like going in a piste basher available - they'll be able to advise.

What he'll be able to do will vary depending on what surgery he has but if it's in a cast it should be fairly stable esp 3 weeks post-surgery. If hes in a full arm cast things will be quite awkward but he's young, he'll adapt! Obviously speak to insurers.
latest report
So, good news. They we able to manipulate the fracture and no plate needed. We shall see what the consultant advises. We shall all ski at Easter
ski holidays
Quote:
the last thing you want is him walking to the shops/restaurants etc and slipping over on (potentially) icy pavements/roads and not being able to try and control the fall, or worse still exacerbate the injury.
Hope he doesn't live anywhere up norf, or Scotland, where it has been very frosty/icy indeed for the last 2 days. Otherwise he must have been house bound...
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
the last thing you want is him walking to the shops/restaurants etc and slipping over on (potentially) icy pavements/roads and not being able to try and control the fall, or worse still exacerbate the injury.
Hope he doesn't live anywhere up norf, or Scotland, where it has been very frosty/icy indeed for the last 2 days. Otherwise he must have been house bound...

Indeed. In my experience, the likelihood of slipping/falling on icy roads/pavements is worse in the UK than in the alps...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy