Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best places for lunch in PdS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Calling all the PdS experts on the forum. Where do you recommend for lunch in Super Chatel? And while we are at it, what are your favourite lunch stops elsewhere in the PdS?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cant help with Super Chatel but....primarily because they are relatively cheap and the food is good

Changabang - Avoriaz
Refuge Abricotine - Brochaux
Restaurant Plaine Dranse - Plane Dranse.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Super Chatel is not great in my view. Restaurant Portes du Soleil near the new link to Vonnes best bet in my opinion.

Left field suggestion - go down the gondola and have the menu du jour at Vieux Four. One minute from the gondola base station, you can ski down if you are red run capable and the snow cover is adequate.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My contribution is in Champéry section, just down from Croix-de-Culet restaurant named "Coquoz" located near the nursery slopes over there.

Very memorable desert there of apricots on a large pastry base cooked in the pizza oven, beautifully caramelised on top served with chantilly cream. Not that it was memorable at all Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you manage to get to Les Gets, Mont Chery side, La Grande Ourse is a must do. Make sure you book in advance
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DJL wrote:
Super Chatel is not great in my view. Restaurant Portes du Soleil near the new link to Vonnes best bet in my opinion.

Left field suggestion - go down the gondola and have the menu du jour at Vieux Four. One minute from the gondola base station, you can ski down if you are red run capable and the snow cover is adequate.

I agree about the Vieux Four and well worth the 100m walk. The restaurants near top station of the SC gondola are reasonable but not amazing. Avoid Chalet Neuf on then back side of the Super Chatel area. Best restaurants are in Plane Dranse area als like Blattins under the Cornebois chair about 1/3 down often hidden by snow in a ditch - look for a flag.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
L'Escale at the top of the Super Chatel bubble do the best Cafe Gourmand in the PDS. Rest of the food looks good, although I only ever go there for the sugar rush.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No idea in SC but Pomme d’Pin in Linderets is excellent spot ..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DJL, +1.
The PdS resto near the PdS lift is OK - reasonable food for reasonable price.
There's also a picnic room at the top of the Gondola, which is as good as you decide to make it.
Chalet Neuf does a decent Goulash, and used to do a nice Berthoud, but not eaten there for a couple of seasons ( We normally carry on to La Foilleuse). The resto (with the Boxer Beer sign) at the top of the Corbeau is nice, though I can't remember the name, and it's not in SC Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, Chalet Neuf went under new management last season and it’s awful service and expensive food. La Foilleuse does an awesome Cabonarra and we drank Boxer beer for first time last summer at La Ferrage and since found I can buy it from the Co-op in Morgins.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I'm Chatel way I'd always go for "the windmill place with the dirty pictures, where the owner looks like Chris de Burgh", at the top of the Linga gondola for lunch. They do a lovelly "This isn't a Tartiflette, it's a local dish (made of bacon and potato in cheese that looks exactly like a Tartiflette)" that comes in huge portions. Just don't melt your gloves on the big heater...

For mid-morning coffee/cake the "You'll need to carry some speed or be side-stepping" place on the left, half way down the run from (I think) the Les Combes chair always hits the spot and has great views.

Generally in the PdS it's hard not to find yourself in Changabang, by the EFS meet point at the top of the run down from the Prodains gondola to the Tour/Stade/Lac-Interets chairs. Yes it's just a burger but it's quick, cheap and just the best burger sauce. Perfect for days when you just want to get fed and back on the snow, rather than having a full-on French lunch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In good weather it's difficult to beat the terrace of La Païka above Les Gets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for Les Brocheaux, I preserve that to the places in the Lindarets bowl.

+1 also for the Grande Ourse. But on Sunday it's hog roAst and pre booking is essential. And dare I say, it was rather disappointing, compared to the food on the other days.

Le Vaffieu at the top of Les Folliets chair, or another chair that comes up from the top of Pleney, is also amazing.

When in Avoriaz we love La Poya, just by the top of Prodains.

And for good value, we love l'Auberge du Crot, a short ski down the blue run that goes down to the base of Prodains. Pasta dishes are good value, but (not on the menu) take the opportunity to pre-book for the tartiflette Grand Mere.Cooked in a frying pan on the wood burning stove, no cream, the real deal !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love super chatel for uncrowded skiing, but for lunch I head towards the nearby barbossine sector and chalet de Théo.

It's simple food but a real, family run place with a warm welcome. It's also hard to find. You have to turn right, off piste through the trees about 2/3 of the way down the l'épervier poste and then walk about 100m. Phone ahead because it fills out, mostly with hikers, snow shoers.

Otherwise, the new restaurant just below the bottom of Conche chair is the best, in my opinion, in the sc area. Can't remember the name. It has vintage photos of chatel on the walls.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy