Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinsulate Featherless jackets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had experience with Rossignol Insulated (Thinsulate Featherless) jackets like Depart or Hero?
I have always worn jacket with just a little bit of insulation, together with base and mid-layers and have no experience with those more insulated ones.
From the first glance they seem a much more convenient alternative, as you can skip the mid-layer or at lest wear a thinner one.
Is it worth to look this way, or better to stay with any of the regular, less or non-insulated jackers (not the Featherless ones) and layers?
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It all depends upon how hot you get when skiing/ how cold/windy it is when skiing!

Andy Kirkpatrick wrote some very pragmatic articles a few years ago relating to climbing clothing, but much is relevant to skiing too https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_comfort_game.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Way back when, Thinsulate was C&A (Rodeo - remember them?) faux GoreTex .
I'm guessing it has evolved since then Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isn't Gore-Tex a breathable membrane, where as "Thinsulate" is thermal insulation?
--
On the OP, I don't know, I avoid insulated jackets as they're less flexible and tend to be fashion as opposed to performance oriented.

I have an Arc'teryx Atom mid-layer which is synthetic fill, so in principle trying to do the same thing the Thinsulate is doing in those insulated jackets.
The advantage is flexibility. For what it is, I like Thinsulate, which seems to do what it's supposed to.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
Isn't Gore-Tex a breathable membrane, where as "Thinsulate" is thermal insulation?
--
On the OP, I don't know, I avoid insulated jackets as they're less flexible and tend to be fashion as opposed to performance oriented.

I have an Arc'teryx Atom mid-layer which is synthetic fill, so in principle trying to do the same thing the Thinsulate is doing in those insulated jackets.
The advantage is flexibility. For what it is, I like Thinsulate, which seems to do what it's supposed to.

Agree, insulation rather than one way vapour permeable barrier.

Made of polyethylene / polypropylene fibre that offers alternative to down / feather layer for heat insulation without interference with vapour barrier when combining the the two layers.

Has advantage over down in being layer form when stitched into garment to avoid piling into clumps. Also doesn't absorb water unlike down. May not out perform down thermally in ultimate sense but can when wet so depends on conditions in which you need to use it.

Thinsulate, is just 3M trademark for this material.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy