Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Windchill calculator and Norway

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_windchill

Well it scared me as Trysil is currently -10 and has 1.6m/s winds which are about 3.6mph. Plumbing that all in gave me approx. -29

I explained this to the kids and my 8 year old has said that he will take some vests as well (that’s the old man cotton ones Very Happy ). The 12 year old pointed out her clothing is windproof because she’s a smart girl. I reminded her how her face went numb at -2, with a strong wind and it lasted for a whole hour and she had pins and needles. She has decided that this year she will wear the balaclava as well as her helmet if it’s really that cold dad (how do you do an almost teenager emoji for she went last year, and of course last year in Geilo was unusually warm even rising about freezing in the day to 4 degrees at one point. )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Oitbc, I reran your calculations and it gave me an answer of -13.4 not -29.
This seems more likely from my experience of skiing in Scandinavia.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops left it in Fahrenheit not Celsius Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Oitbc, Laughing but just bear in mind that it is often much windier than that, so you may still need the balaclava, face mask etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oitbc, Don’t forget that the windchill mentioned (-13.4C) is at -10C with a 3.6mph wind when standing still. It is not difficult to ski at 30mph even as a child, so the moving windchill will be considerably lower.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I often rode in Finland in the minus 20s (SI units), and it's regularly that in that sort of range in BC. The snow tends to get squeaky slow as the temperature drops. No one will have exposed skin in those sorts of temperatures, irrespective of fashion concerns. Hot air hand dryers in the bathrooms can be handy when it's really cold, plus you can work out why warming huts exist.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Oitbc, "windchill" is a massively over-rated concept IMV, when you are windproofed.

"Cotton'll kill ya" (it cools you down when it's wet - i.e. sweaty so absolutely useless for cold weather sports).

And you ski faster than 3.6mph so there's more "wind chill" from skiing than wind.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Please keep in mind that this is Norway, so there is the gulf stream. -5 here, feels like 3+ in the UK.

Just make sure that the kids have enough gear on - and take a backpack if they are too warm so that they can remove a layer. There is nothing worst than googles that fog up
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have been in central Norway in -30 and if you have exposed skin it feels like someone is taking a veg peeler to you. Definitely prepare to cover up just in case.
My friend had this balm that she put on her cheeks and nose that does something weird to your skin and/or blood vessels, it basically keeps your face 'protected' at really low temperatures, I'm not sure it's available everywhere though. Like Lucky Charms, questionable ingredients... It did work, weird stuff. Anyone know what it's called?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yes, its called cold creme...or kuldekrem...its basically a very thick moisturiser
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, -20K??!! NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been skiing in Norway (Trysil) when they've closed any long unheated chair lifts due to the cold. Cold enough when skiing to feel physical pain on any exposed bits of the face but fine with a buff up to the goggles. But then that made goggles steam up and buff get wet and uncomfortable. On the plus side for your enquiry, the kids dealt with it better than I did.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3.6 mph wind is almost flat calm. Can’t see it having a big effect. Bump it up to 20 plus, or ski a bit and the chill will be noticeable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@leggyblonde, paradoxically, that's far far to hot to go skiing. Google "negative absolute temperature".

Mind you, -43°C, on a triple chair in Val D'Isere in the shade in 1995(?) was cold! (I think it was up to the Rocher de Bellevarde, long since gone since would have been near where L'Olympique is now, possibly above the current Bellevarde Express).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tsgsh, cor, that's given me something to geek over later!
ski holidays
Lilledonmarco wrote:
yes, its called cold creme...or kuldekrem...its basically a very thick moisturiser

Which is used to treat dry skin and has no properties against the cold. It’s a misconception that spreads around kindergarten that it helps against the cold.

Best bet is to have no exposed skin, eat a good breakfast/lunch with a bit more fat then normal and stay well hydrated.

The Norwegians/Scandinavians have a saying: “Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlig klær” which translates to “There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing”.

Have fun.
latest report
@Spoon, we say that in Scotland as well.
snow report
We are off to Hafjell over Xmas and it will be cold and windy but yes get every exposed but covered. Balaclava and buff i find is best. We have coped in Finland in -27. It's true only the wrong clothes! All in one suit for junior too so no drafts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy