Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Kitz on the 1st March for a boys er well old men trip!!

Any tops tips on the area, restaurants and bars would be very welcome Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A stereotypical Irish bar I believe (never been in), a lovely pizza restaurant in the town center (Im not a big pizza fan, so must be good). A lovely historical town, apart from the Maccy D's.

A great ski area, a great variation of runs. If you go over to the Pass Thurn area, get the bus back to make the most of the day. There are two great red runs to the bottom of the valley (piste 70&77) Black 55 another personal fave. The Hahnenkahm gondola is fast and efficient, with rentable ski lockers. Plenty of mountain restaurants which are all fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skitech, thanks that's a great start
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing in Kitz in March if it's warm best to catch the bus to Pass Thurn and then ski back. Slopes are higher at Pass Thurn and the runs that bring you back are in better condition and quieter than the ones that would take you there.

Make sure you know the last time the 3S runs if you don't want to bus it back.

On the mountain you are spoilt for choice with where you can eat. In town Huberbrau Stuberl is excellent and good value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Irish bar skitech mentioned is O’Flanagan’s a little outside the town centre, heading towards the tennis stadium. It has just been refurbished this summer and is my go-to bar in Kitz. Haven’t found a cheaper bar. We always do Kitz on a budget so it is ideal. Do a few bar snacks as well if you don’t want to pay although the food in town is good and worth exploring.
The Londoner was always brilliant for Apres although the Short and Curlies were stopped except for a couple of times a week and it is largely dull in there now without them, especially considering how expensive it is in there.
As far as mountain restaurants go, skitech said it all: they are all generally great and not too expensive. I love a Tirolagrostl (sp.) so the only non-recommendation would be having one at the large mountain restaurant at the 3S; it was rubbish. Never had a bad one anywhere else.
If you are reasonable skiers, don’t get the bus to Pass Thurn. Ski there and back. Get a early lift and you will make it no problems. If you do decide to get a bus to Pass Thurn, go a little further to the Panoramabahn. It is a nicer gondola rather than seats.
Again, depending on ability and how you like to ski (I have friends who like to stop every few turns and chat), you may want to consider upgrading your pass for the day and skiing over to Westendorf using the KiWest. Westendorf is a lot quieter for some lovely slopes. The lifts are often a little bit older, although they have recently upgraded quite a few. There aren’t miles and miles of pistes here but it is a pleasant place to visit. If you do like to churn up the miles, head across to the other SkiWelt areas as well. If you charge and get up early enough, you can get to Ellmau and back fairly comfortable (I say ‘charge’ because I like to stop for lunch).
I am not an expert in the area and there are loads on here that go far more than me and are bound to have more info. Have a great trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a restaurant on top of the Hannenkham gondola berg station which is very nice and has a large sun terrance for a bar........if its a sunny day i recommend booking in advance as it can get popular, but good music and good drinks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't overlook the Kitzbüheler Horn interesting change for half a day and we like the Hornköpflhütte there as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JohnBarr, wrote an excellent guide to the Kitzbuheler Alps a few years ago. I have a paper copy, but the link to the pdf is now broken.

I like the mountain restaurant at the bottom of the Ochsalm chair.
We also enjoyed lunch at the Sonnleitstadl. Very traditional and quite an intense atmosphere in a pretty small hut. I don't quite know how to describe it!

Both of these are on the long blue (26) from Ehrenbachhöhe to Kirchberg.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Drammeister, Is that a book? I can see a 192 page book but that's too much reading for me ahead of a ski trip!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just read the Telegraph article about it. Sounds like a great task to try and write a book in the 1 ski season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Legend. wrote:
@Drammeister, Is that a book? I can see a 192 page book but that's too much reading for me ahead of a ski trip!

Yes, I think that’s it.
It covers Kitzbuhel, SkiWelt and other local resorts. A few years out of date now though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love Kitz, and if I die in the next couple of months can you spread my ashes just by the Sonnbühel restaurant. Also have a bit of a brunch while you're there.
Pop in early or you'll never get a seat.
It may not be the same anymore but the waiter used to throw the cups for the jugs of gluwien at the customers.
If you have a sunny afternoon you could do a lot worse than sit out the back and enjoy a beer and the sunshine.
Oh... I have not been to Kitzbuhel for a long time, but there was a sort of Burger caravan which kept going till the early hours ... Great Spicy "Bosna" Hot dogs with curry sauce.
A great way to help those beers down on the stagger home from the Londoner. NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gazzaredcruiser, if the long ski route from Penglestein down to Jochberg is open it is well worth doing, it is not difficult, assuming good snow conditions and is usually skied into a piste like state. The best snow is usually to be found at the Pass Thurn area, there are a number of straight forward pistes and nice views from the restaurant terraces. If you are of a somewhat nervous disposition it is worth checking out the Zweitausender piste from the chair above. It is pretty steep for a red, great to ski in good snow but if things are a bit scraped or icy it can be a bit of a challenge if you are nervous. The off piste / ski route off to the the right of this piste can be quite fun.

There are signs up suggesting the Direttissima black has a 70% slope, not completely convinced about that though it does have a short pretty steep section but it is not that crazy difficult, the nearby black runs down from the Steinbergkogel chair are actually nicer runs, wider and often good snow (they are mostly in the shade). My favourite run is the Ochsalm black but it is not open that often as there is no snow making, it is an old fashioned run through the trees, the first bit after the path section is steep but wide.

If you are looking for more easy cruising type skiing then make sure you get a super ski card (it does not cost much more) and use the link at Ki West into the Westendorf skiing. Easy enough to go further into SkiWelt, the pass also covers buses and trains along the Brixental back to Kitzbühel if you want to stop for a beer or not rush for last lifts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy