Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on Winter tyres on E Bay

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a set of General snow Grabber tyres on E Bay. Guy selling them has changed car... Anyone have any comments ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-11-19 20:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have sold a set of winter tyres on eBay for that exact reason. Went from normal tyres to a car with run-flats so I wanted run-flat winter tyres. Ask the usual questions, tread depth, rough mileage, number of seasons, etc. Ask to inspect first before payment if possible. Only my opinion on this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a good read of this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149378&highlight=tyres in particular this referenced article https://tiresvote.com/articles/what-minimum-safe-tread-depth/
I've sold 2 1/2 sets on Ebay, still 1/2 a set to go, Like @Dougie, says buyer beware. A couple of long distance inspections and/or having to return unsatisfactory items can eat up any savings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve bought both rims and rims with tyres. Generally speaking haven’t had any problems but probably been lucky. When I have bought something that looked cheap there’s generally been a reason for it and wish I hadn’t.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also ask for a picture of the DOT code embossed on all 4 tyres. The last 4 digits tells you the manufacture date (eg 1116 was made in week 11 in 2016). Avoid them if they are over 10 years old. Most manufacturers recommended replacing tyres after 7 years (of course they would).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy new pairs not sets, they will be cheap and if anything wrong they will have to refund etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sold winter tyres on ebay recently as a result of the new car having different size wheels. They were a decent brand in good condition with plenty of tread.
I wouldn't risk buying second hand tyres though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not, if they are not as described you would get your cash back etc ? Winters tread depth though need to be more than normal for them to work.... when they get to about 3.5mm they are done in regards for snow
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought my first set on eBay. No issues but I did check them out. One day I should try and sell some of those I have left, or give to local part worn tyre place in return for swapping mine over for a few years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soft compounds in winter tyres mean they age badly. Plus when they age they get much less effective, lose their pliability which is what makes them better than normal tyres on ice particularly.

Personally I would buy brand new tyres on eBay, plenty of retailers selling new stuff there, but not secondhand unless I could inspect them and they were very little used.

I would happily buy wheels because they are fairly easy to check, but for a new set of steel rims on most cars they are so cheap secondhand is hardly worth bothering with.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would be very wary of buying tyres sight unseen, as you don't really know their history and there are some dodgy sellers - some secondhand tyre seller sell tyres from crashed/written off vehicles. Additionally, tread depth - below 4mm winters are nowhere near as effective, so you to be worth buying you need at least 5mm. Age - some reputable tyre fitter will not fit tyres more than 5 years old, so if you plan to swap them more than once they need to be no more than 3 years old.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've bought three sets of alloys with winter tyres from ebay, all were fine. If they are not fine, either return them as not described (if they are not) or replace with new.

Classic risk/reward.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boredsurfin, Recently bought some new winter tyres from my local tyre shop. He matched the price of a similar set on ebay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have both bought and sold wheels tyres on eBay
Checked photos and feedback amazing how much that can tell you eg poor sloppy photos tell you to pass !
Sold did lots of very detailed photos and provided info off tyre wall
Buyer delighted ...result!
Shipping is big issue especially for 4*4 sizes cost can be a deal breaker if you are worried about returning an item
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
Looking at a set of General snow Grabber tyres on E Bay. Guy selling them has changed car... Anyone have any comments ?

Sold a set of these on VW wheels recently (fixed price rather than auction)
They were in good condition 6-7mm but the alloy wheels were a bit tatty
New car had different offset wheels
If the wheels had fitted new car I would have had wheels powder coated
Advertised as collection only so buyer had chance to inspect before taking them away
ski holidays
I bought used (approx 6-7mm tread) winter tyres/alloys from Ebay. They where same alloy and wheel package as the local bmw garage was selling, also came with the pressure sensors. I was very happy with them.
ski holidays
The ones I was watching have now sold at a higher price than I can buy new Sad So Ill be buying new then Very Happy
snow report
My thoughts on valuation for second hand winters would be as follows if the tyres for sale were ones that I had researched and wanted:-
8mm tread left - Good as new - probably go to 75% of new price
6mm tread left - More than 50% worn as far as snow is concerned so if I was happy to take the risk then maybe 30% of new price.
4mm tread left - Not effective as a snow tyre so no value at all second hand.

In practice when I have winter tyres that are reaching the end of their life I just run them on through the summer driving within their limitations
snow report
Timc wrote:
In practice when I have winter tyres that are reaching the end of their life I just run them on through the summer driving within their limitations

Same here. I ran mine down to about 2mm during the summer and am now buying new ones from mytyres.co.uk (£200 for 4 fitted)

Last I bought on eBay were OE Skoda 16” alloys with “economy brand” winter tyres with 7mm left. Cost me £200 plus fuel to collect. Performed faultlessly The new tyres are replacing those ones which are now scrap.
ski holidays
@DJL,
Quote:

The new tyres are replacing those ones which are now scrap.

Put them on Ebay, you never know, sell for £1 this weekend.
snow conditions
I bought wheels and tyres for my Audi from a German seller. The seller double checked that the rims would fit my car before agreeing to ship (that was a good sign) and I then took the rims and tyres to the local tyre shop for checking over and (very importantly) balancing. They changed some do the weights, and everything has been great for 2 years of use now. Coincidently, I swapped over yesterday (Oxfordshire) since the morning and evening temps are now consistently around 5 degrees or less.
snow report
Bought my previous winter tyres from My tyres.co.uk but have recently been alerted to this cheaper alternative - some excellent prices on there:

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyres/winter

x4 winter tyres ordered last Tuesday, with free delivery - they arrived yesterday Very Happy

Only minus point with them is that if you select a fitted price (at a selection of fitters in your area), it adds £15 per tyre Shocked I'll just take them to a local fitter myself - where it'll cost £6 or £8 a pop wink
ski holidays
You can strike gold sometimes. A while back someone in the southwest listed 4 Continental Vanco Winters on genuine Mercedes rims and they were the exact fitment for my van. Initially I thought they were too expensive. Drove out to Tignes for a couple of weeks and on return noticed that they had been relisted.
Photos showed the rims and tyres in near new condition. I worked for a Merc dealer then and had priced up a set of rims for myself. Even with my discount they weren't cheap. Out of curiosity I messaged the seller to ask why they were for sale. The previous season they'd hired a 9 seater Vito Travelliner to drive to the Alps. The hire company couldn't or wouldn't supply winter tyres. So the seller had gone out and bought 4x brand new genuine Merc rims and the recommended winter tyres. Apparently they had to be genuine to keep the vehicle's insurers happy. After the one trip they removed them and stuck them on a pallet. I made a them a cheeky offer and got them for less than the cost of 4 tyres and that included shipping them on a pallet, happy days.
snow report
@mountainaddict, Bit late for you now but I often find that tyreleader come out the cheapest. I usually get the size and spec. and preferred manufacturer from one site and then put that back into google. Mytyres now has other related websites under gigatyres and some other name that I cannot remember. They also sometimes sell the same tyres on ebay cheaper than their website and if you can do the purchase when ebay or paypal has sent you one of those %age discount offers then happy days Very Happy (Trick is to have more than one ebay / paypal account).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy