Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA skis, boots and helmet bag for hold

Poster: A snowHead
I am aware that this is topic is kind of ‘tracked out’, but which single bags do snowHead recommend for skis, boots and helmet plus a few items of clothing. Flying BA so needs to be compliant. BA offer 23kg hand luggage too so could put boots in hand luggage but really want to buy a hold bag for those and skis, poles and ski gear. Needs to be under 23kg. Like the SnoKart concept but this seems quite heavy as well as expensive. Would the Dakine Falline do the job, for example? Flying BA three times this season as cracking deals plus hire car whereas prefer Lufthansa for more sensible policy but that’s another thread entirely. Do redirect to other posts as appropriate. Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went with this one
dakine double ski bag

Haven’t found it in stock recently. Been very happy with quality.

Sorry link keeps getting corrupted!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowsartre, Dakine Fall Line will easily do that. As long as you don't pack too heavy, you should be able to fit everything in for a week with weight and space to spare. Only downside is the lack of internal straps but if you're packing clothes etc as well as skis that's less of an issue.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the thule roundtrip 190 roller and seams solid approx 15 trips with transit through heathrow and nothing major to complain about. Only gripe is it is bloody heavy at 3.7kg and I am always struggling with weight (2x sets of skis Avi gear etc) so thinking about getting a lighter ski bag such as https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/fischer-alpine-race-3-pairs/137064730/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=8164994&country=uk&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxAV9mJ2PsQKVEw33KIfDcfQ51u2zuv-eaufa8-JEV140b1I3Gdd6a8aArnEEALw_wcB

I always carry my boots in a pull along again this helps with weight but plenty of room in current roller for all gear if weight was no issue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowsartre,

Unless I had a solid check-in bag I wouldn't pack a helmet in my luggage.

We've never packed ours - but just carry them on board, in addition to our hand luggage (and extra carry on bag with BA).

We've never had a problem with that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This decathlon bag for skis, which ha a lot of room for other stuff.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bag-for-4-skis-3-snow-900-id_8398284.html

And one of these for your “carry on” (it’s the max allowed size, seems enormous, and easily takes ski boots, clothes etc.). You can usually check this for free because it’s cabin-compliant, and they are desperate to reduce the number of enormous cabin bags on board. To put the size of this in context, we use it as a normal suitcase for week+ long trips.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerolite-56x45x25-Allowance-Lightweight-Suitcase/dp/B01LX0LJRA?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2&tag=amz07b-21

Helmet strapped on the outside, small backpack for your phone, keys, wallet and a twix, and you’re sorted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowdave, Decathlon bag is 210cm. I think 190cm is the maximum allowed by BA. However, my ski bag has never been measured.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AL9000, I’ve never had my ski bag measured and I fly several times each season with BA - I’ve never seen anyone’s bag measured. Also the decathlon bag can be shortened if you don’t want excess material - it has a roll closure at one end.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've taken my Dakine Fall Line on BA several times with no problems whatsoever. Gets everything I need for a week in easily and just comes in under the 23kg limit. Also meets BA's 190cm length limit, not that they've ever measured; just weighed it and sent me off to the outsize luggage belt.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whilst a snowboarder (I know, boo hiss) - I've always taken my snowboard, boots, helmet, jacket, trousers, gloves, base layers, chargers, toiletries, 4 gang etc, heli pack plus any equipment in my roller bag.

With all of that, I came in at 19kgs. Take out snowboard boots, add in ski boots (as heavier), plus a little extra for ski bindings weighing more etc etc - I reckon you could get under the 23kgs limit. Worst case, wear your ski jacket onboard.

That then leaves carry-on purely for clothing only. For that I use the Osprey Fairpoint 40L. The benefit I find with this is that as its soft - it can be manipulated size wise for airlines that have different policies......but I've had no issues with Easyjet, BA or Ryanair. Plus can get a weeks worth of clothing in it.

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/farpoint-40-14
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe we are paranoid...but no way would we pack all our worldly ski goods (skis, boots, helmet ski jacket and ski clothes) in one bag.

Our skis have failed to turn up on six or seven trips - and on another occasion our mountain bikes failed to arrive for a couple of days. Then there have been another dozen or so occasions when our check-in bags did not arrive for a few days Sad. (Most famously when we were island hopping in Hawaii, with our bags consistently one island behind us - for 4 days Shocked That was en route to a ski trip in California and when we got there we discovered that Mrs B's new ski boots had been taken from her bag somewhere between the UK, Hawaii and Reno. But that's another story...)

It's not just tales of yesteryear, either. Our ski bag did not arrive in Colorado on each of our past 2 trips in Feb 18 and 19. On the former trip it took them 4 days (so we had rental skis during that period) to deliver our skis. Last year was better, however, as the skis were delivered to our hotel just before breakfast on our first ski day.

And folk wonder why we now travel with our ski boots and ski clothes in our hand luggage... wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowsartre wrote:
I am aware that this is topic is kind of ‘tracked out’, but which single bags do snowHead recommend for skis, boots and helmet plus a few items of clothing. Flying BA so needs to be compliant. BA offer 23kg hand luggage too so could put boots in hand luggage but really want to buy a hold bag for those and skis, poles and ski gear. Needs to be under 23kg. Like the SnoKart concept but this seems quite heavy as well as expensive. Would the Dakine Falline do the job, for example? Flying BA three times this season as cracking deals plus hire car whereas prefer Lufthansa for more sensible policy but that’s another thread entirely. Do redirect to other posts as appropriate. Thank you.

I use Avios to get a business class ticket - the advantage is 2 hold items (suitcase/double ski bag), plus two in the cabin (boots and backpack).

On balance - if you have the Avios - it's a great deal - only £30 cash (and 1.5x the Avios) more and you get the extra items, food on board and lounge access (now at Innsbruck as well).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, you seem to have rotten luck with your luggage. Six or seven trips where your skis failed to turn up - sounds like a conspiracy!

Having had luggage fall on me once from the overhead lockers, I really don't like the idea of boots in carry-on baggage. I bought a really good padded boot and helmet bag from Decathlon that goes in the hold (if I'm travelling with Swiss or BA business as outlined above by @buchanan101,).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, Do you also get food poisoning every time you visit Spain?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apologies only half my message had displayed @Bergmeister, I also included a wink and continued that I would be utterly paranoid if I had that level of missing baggage - have only lost one in thirty years, but don't want to 'Maskell' my next trip!
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, Quick question, purely as interested - have most of the flights that luggage has got lost on been on direct flights, or those with connections? I have had and seen countless luggage go missing where connections are concerned. But where single direct flights from one large airport to another - never had / know of anyone had something major go missing.
ski holidays
Drew Carey,

Mostly connecting flights - though we've had delayed luggage on about 5 direct flights Sad . (That's over about 20 years, however, averaging about 6 or 7 flights per year, including a few weekend trips).

The irony from last year is that we took connecting flights - ie Newcastle to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Minneapolis, then Minneapolis to Denver. We had to clear customs at Minneapolis, so picked up our ski bag there and checked it in for the onward flight to Denver. So it made 2 flights successfully...then didn't arrive in Denver. So that was effectively a direct flight that failed to deliver.

The year before, we took connecting flights to Calgary and all our luggage turned up there - no problem. However, after a week there we took a direct flight (with United) from Calgary to Denver. Guess what? No skis delivered to Denver - for 4 days! Sad
snow conditions
Quick question for you seasoned ski travellers, flying easy jet to Salzburg and BA back to Gatwick, I’ve got a hold bag booked for the flights, I’ve now just bought a set of ski’s , if I buy a wheelie ski bag can I put it in as my hold luggage as long as I’m within my weight allowance or do I have to book them in as ski luggage, I can’t seem to see a max size for hold luggage, I’ve already booked the hold luggage and I don’t think I can cancel it now, any advice would be appreciated
latest report
@Thezed111, BA will take your ski bag as your (one) hold bag. No need to notify them in advance or book the skis in separately.
snow conditions
I found this on Easyjet, "Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm.". However, skis are listed as sports equipment, so I very much doubt you'd get away with them as normal hold baggage. I always take my boots in hand luggage, in a normal wheely bag, not a boot bag.

Welcome to SH's by the way! Where are you off to and when?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 25-11-19 22:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Thezed111, There is a limit with BA when you take a ski bag as your checked bag, currently stated as

"You can take larger sporting items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as checked baggage so long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. Any items larger than these dimensions will require shipping as cargo. The only exception is a bike in a bike-box that can have the maximum dimensions of 190 x 95 x 65cm (75 x 37.5 x 25.5in)."

Source - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Welcome to SH's by the way! Where are you off to and when?

Thanks for the advice guys good news about BA, might try and drop easy jet an email to clarify,
Off to obertauern end of Jan (regular yearly trip) and hochgurgel at Easter (first time)
Thanks for the welcome
latest report
Missed the easyjet bit, several on here have got ski bags accepted by EJ as allowed as under the normal hold bag allowance and so cheaper rather than paying for it as sports. But I think that maybe dependent on which agent you see on the day, you might be lucky you might not. Per their website and as I reckon you will be told if you chat you will get told that you will need to buy a sports hold bag. You can risk and it and turn up at the airport without having bought the sports allowance but then you may face paying more than you would have had to if you bought ahead of time, I just buy the sports allowance when travelling with them to save any hassle. But if you do buy a ski sports allowance then they do allow a wheely bag and a separate boot bag.
snow conditions
Following up on the EasyJet thing - I agree with @ster, above, but when I did mine at Luton last year on the self service scales no-one checked and it was under the weight allowance, so that is another route to trying to not pay the extra (I already had by the way!!) They will definitely charge you if you call IMO.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy