Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canazei where to ski or go elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
I went with my wife and friends to the Dollies for the first time last year and had a great time based in Canazei.
We were with some friends some of whom were near beginners which limited our exploration somewhat though we did three non immediate local skiing days.

We are returning to the dolomites this year with friends who we regularly ski with and will probably want to explore a bit further.
Based on last years trip the Marmolada is a 'must' and we will probably do a day going round the Sella.
The Hidden valley sounds like another must do and a trip to Cortina sounds interesting I am not sure how well placed Canazei is for these possibilities, can they be done from here?
If not where else should I consider basing? A major constraint is that we don't land in Venice till 5pm and want a short trip where possible, The Val DI Fassa looks like a good bet for what we want and has the advantage of me knowing it a bit already but does anyone else have any other suggestions. Alternatively are there other must do places to see.. The other really good day was a trip to Ortisei last year but it looks a much longer drive from the airport.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@T Bar, If both you and your friends this time are reasonable skiers then you could move a bit anticlockwise round the Sella Ronda and base youself in Arabba (where sHs have their Birthday Bash). It's convenient for the Marmolada but a bit closer to Armentarola for the Hidden Valley and also Cinque Torri (which is well worth a visit). Also I would have thought getting to Arabba from Venice would be slightly quicker than getting to Canazei/Campitello
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T Bar, Arabba is good for Sella Ronda access and very handy for Marmolada. They can be done from Canezai but Arabba is right on the circuit, so you can go both ways easily. Good also for getting to the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri. You can get a bus to Cortina from Cinque Torri but that's a long trek for a day out. Night life isn't a big thing in Arabba though but there are a couple of bars and hotel bars.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, Snap. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks both we are self catering and there does not seem to be much available the week we want in Arabba (school week)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
Thanks both we are self catering and there does not seem to be much available the week we want in Arabba (school week)

If you can't find suitable self catering apartments in Arabba then you might consider even further ACW round the Sella Ronda and base yourself in Corvara. It's larger than Arabba so should have more s/c accommodation and is still directly on the Sella Ronda and even closer for access to Armenterola/Hidden Valley/Cortina (not to mention other trips such as Santa Croce/Heiligenkreuz (well worth visiting).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, Corvara and Colfesco might be alternatives. Both not bad for Marmolada and Hidden Valley.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, We make a good double act. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@T Bar, I have stayed in both Canazei and Arabba, and both have their pros and cons for access:
Arabba:
* Santa Croce
* Hidden Valley
* Alta Badia

Canazei:
* Val di Fassa
* Plan de Gralba (park and trees)
* Ortisei

Both are good places to start the Sella Ronda, and both are fine for the Marmalada, though it needs a good early start from Canazei. The Hidden Valley is probably a bit of a stretch from there.

Note that the link from Arabba to Canazei does close in strong winds, though I've never seen it closed in the other direction, snowmageddon notwithstanding (others may know better though).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In recent years the transfers from venice seem to have preferred the route up via Cortina. I think it is about 2 hrs to get there.
Which means that Cortina itself could be considered as a base. Not sure that I would base myself there, though. But from it you can certainly get to the Cinque Torri and Falzarego/Lagazuoi (hidden valley) areas.

Or stop at Alleghe - just about 2 hrs from Marco Polo in theory.

Coming in via Cortina then then the first place on the Sella Ronda that you'd get to is San Cassiano - it has self catering places, good access to Cinque Torri and Falzarego/Lagazuoi (hidden valley) areas and reasonable access to Santa Croce or even a day trip across to Kronplatz (connect via bus). If you have beginner friends then there is easy skiing from the start (but I have just re-read your OP and realise you are not with the beginners). It is not so good for Marmolada - if it is a nice day then by the time you get round to Arabba the queues will have built up on the lifts to get over the Passo Padon. It is probably about as much time to get there as to get to Arabba from the airport. A bit further then to La Villa, Corvara, Colfosco ....

Personally, if you like to get out and explore, I agree with @geepee and @Alastair Pink about Arabba. There are some residences at Passo Campolongo on the way over to Corvara. No town to speak of so you are quite limited at night but it provides good access.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a not very fit intermediate (get down easy blacks) I did the hidden valley from Canazei on my first trip to the dolomites. Was only tight(ish) because we got lots in the blue spiders web on the way back and it was softish so even the instructors had to herringbone up some of the lumps on one of the interminable blues we somehow did about 3 times before finding the way out!

Very well placed (on) the Sella Ronda, which we used as a means of transport to do other bits.

Fine for Ortisei and La Longia - we got sidetracked by Sasslong a few times and got back quite early.

Cortina struck me as more of a be seen place with unlinked lifts around it and you'd probably want a car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saw this morning that Plan di Gralba has started laying snow down for the season which would indicate to me that they are forecasting cold weather for a substantial amount of time otherwise they wouldn't have bothered starting yet!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like Arraba Hotel Malita is excellent but I have also rented an apartment.

http://www.hsarabba.it/en/apartment-melaster-n-7

They have others on offer.

Not much nightlife but the highest village on the Sela and the closest resort to the Marmolada.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TQA wrote:
I like Arraba Hotel Malita is excellent but I have also rented an apartment.

the closest resort to the Marmolada.

That's not strictly true. The closest to Marmolada is Malga Ciapela which is in Val Pettorina. If skiing Marmolada is high on your list of things to do, Val Pettorina means you're also close to Civetta... but it does mean you have to travel for 5-10 minutes by car to get to the lifts...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This one gives a good info about the trips you can do - but there are many others.

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=skitouren&se=E
ski holidays
OK
We have booked to stay in Pozza Di Fassa Feb 11-18.
Where do people recommend we ski from here and how busy will the different areas be this week?
Is a trip over to Maddona Di Campiglio worth it, and can we get to the hidden valley and back and of so which way?
Skied here last year but low season so not knowing quite how busy it gets.
Thanks in advance.
snow report
Maddonna is a considerable distance from Pozza

Not sure about getting to Hidden valley and back. Ive done it from Canazei, but Pozza is further down the valley. There is a new lift in Alba, so skiing to there from Pozza would give you access to the Sella Ronda
latest report
T Bar wrote:
OK
Where do people recommend we ski from here and how busy will the different areas be this week?
Is a trip over to Maddona Di Campiglio worth it, and can we get to the hidden valley and back and of so which way?
Thanks in advance.

I'll be in Pera, next to Pozza the same week. snowHead

I was in Alleghe at half-term last year, which seemed pretty quiet considering it was peak season, straight on every lift. There were quite a few Polish families about, particularly on the Zoldo side of the Civetta ski area. One snowy afternoon though, most people had gone home and it seemed we were the only ones on each run we did above Alleghe...Italians only tend to ski when the sun's shining! Very Happy

We went up to Arabba and skied the Sella Ronda one day, noticeably busier and some small 1-5 min queues at some bottlenecks, but not crazy.

I'm expecting it to be similar this year, busier up at the Canazei & Campitello lifts and around the main Sella Ronda circuit, but a lot quieter in other areas off the main circuit such as Alba/Buffaure, Catinaccio, Carezza, Alpe Lusia, Passo San Pellegrino, etc. It is also Danish School Holidays that week and Canazei is very popular with them.

Not worth going to Madonna, it's a long, long drive and there's way more skiing in Val di Fassa & the Sella Ronda areas than you will be able to cover in a week.

The Hidden Valley & back is a bit of a push from Val di Fassa, esp. if the Ronda part is busy, the best route would be to go via Arabba & the Campolongo Pass, maybe starting out from the new Funifor lift at Alba, but you would need to get your skates on and only take fit intermediates, plus there is always the unknown quantity of lift queues. You can wait 45mins or more for the Lagazuoi cable car on a sunny morning after some bad weather days, the world and his mother seem to be there from all around.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-11-16 21:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
OK
Thanks in advance.

Pozza is a bit far out - can take bus to go further into the valley or do the Buffaure ski tour. But to go hidden valley may be consider a overnight stay in a mountain hut around Passo Falzorego, there are a number of refugio to stay overnight in. The new Alba lift is good but can be very buissy on the wrong timing.
http://lagazuoi5torri.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5torri/info/impianti.html

http://lagazuoi5torri.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5torri/info/cartina2009inv.pdf

I like Refugio Lagazuoi as it is on the top of the mountain and has a nice view. Find a nice weather for next morning. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Another way of doing the Hidden Valley from Val di Fassa would be to do the WW1 circuit anti-clockwise from Passo Fedaia, you can drive over there from Canazei and park there, as long as the pass is open.

Then you ski down to Malga Ciapela, get the bus to Alleghe, ski across the Civetta area to Pescul, catch the bus to Fedare, ski over to Passo Falzarego where you get the cablecar to Lagazuoi that is the start of the Hidden Valley. At the bottom you get the horse-tow back to Armentarola where the lift system links across to Arabba. Up the gondola to mid-station, over Passo Padon and down to the car park at Passo Fedaia. It's a long day and you pay for the buses & horse-tow, but I did it last year from Alleghe with my 10yo second-weeker son (but he's already quicker than me!)

WW1 Skitour map...

http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/uploads/Zone/Ski%20map%20ski%20tour%20Grande%20Guerra.jpg
latest report
@Hyst, I just noticed your location is Copenhagen...how true is what I've read that Canazei is very busy with Danish families in February school holidays? Is it a real problem getting on the gondola in the mornings? Are there any workarounds?

I guess the new Funifor lift at Alba might relieve matters this season. snowHead
snow conditions
@luigi, Is there any good overnight refugio in Civetta up in the mountains accessible on ski? I know of one - should go by taxi and I know of Fedare, but would like on on top in the Civetta. Sad
snow conditions
@luigi, Yes, but the Alba lift has made it better however I once got stuck there late morning - lots of people.
And Yes in Danish school holidays first language in Canazei is Danish. wink This year English half term and Danish schoolholidays are the same week - so I go same where else. Madeye-Smiley
It is you with the house down here right? Near Mamolada?
Edit: No Casa Alfredino or something like that, sorry - is the flat land the very flat land?
ski holidays
Thank you all for the info.
@luigi,
Quote:

I'll be in Pera, next to Pozza the same week.snowHead

Actually thats where we are off to but Pozza is the bigger place so I thought it would be more familiar. Hope its good. snowHead
snow conditions
The Hidden Valley is perfectly possible from Canazei the only problem is that by the time you get there (late-morning at best) it'll be very busy - we did it from Selva last season (admittedly at 1/2 term) and had a 20-30 minute wait on the bus from Armentarola up to Lagazuoi, and then a 45min-1hr wait to get on the cable car. The run itself was beautiful but also very busy - even crowded in some places where it was narrow and/or steepish and people had become stuck (which was surprisingly frequent)
snow report
@jma, That is why you should stay in Lagazuoi overnight - and take the run ind the morning - you can do it several times, if you want to. Very Happy
snow conditions
Hyst wrote:
@luigi, Is there any good overnight refugio in Civetta up in the mountains accessible on ski? I know of one - should go by taxi and I know of Fedare, but would like on on top in the Civetta. Sad

I had a nice warm bed in Alleghe, so didn't need to stay up on the mountain. Sorry.

Sad
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Thank you all for the info.
@luigi,
Quote:

I'll be in Pera, next to Pozza the same week.snowHead

Actually thats where we are off to but Pozza is the bigger place so I thought it would be more familiar. Hope its good. snowHead

I've been through Pera a few times, but not actually stayed. I wonder if we're in the same place? I don't think there's much in Pera, except the Cheese Factory. The 2-man chairlift up to Catinaccio ski area is between Pozza & Pera, but Pera is well-located to drive to all the lift stations in Val di Fassa.

If what Hyst says is true about Canazei being rammed with Vikings, we'll probably be heading to the Funifor at Alba for the Sella Ronda or trying out the smaller areas south of Pera. Passo San Pellegrino/Falcade/TreValli area looks good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin Come early to the Funifor at Alba - before Sella Ronda people want to do the Buffare run.
The black in Alba has got peoples atraction now with the new link.
ski holidays
The bottom stations in the val di fassa are fine -- IF you avoid ski-school times !! ; start before 9/9.15 or have a lie in and go after 10.... Wink

One thing to watch for would your return to the valley. Campitello, you have to download : Canazei, it is possible to ski to town but many people download : Alba, download only

Valley bus service is very good and even includes a 'Noddy' train.. Smile

snow report
We stayed in Pozza last year (early March) and being our first time in the Dolomites, had a big list of places to go and runs to do. As it turned out, we really enjoyed the local area (both Buffaure and Pera). Areas around the Sella Ronda we found to be a lot busier and not always better skiing, though admittedly we did enjoy days in Selva and doing the circuit clockwise. The Alba link was great for getting to the circuit but we did run into queues here in the morning and often skiied longer locally than planned, waiting for them to die down. The day we tried to go up the Marmalada, there was a massive queue for the glacier lift so we aborted and caught the drag lifts back towards Arabba.
If you don't have a car I would certainly recommend a bus pass, especially for getting back from Canazei at the end of the day (it's worth having a couple of beers in the village and waiting for the last bus to avoid the crowds). Some of the less heralded areas in Val Di Fassa were also enjoyable and quieter (San Pellegrino/ Falcade). Whatever you do, I'm sure you will have fun but my advice is to enjoy skiing locally rather than putting your mind to getting somewhere a long way off and being thwarted by queues or bad weather.
snow report
We're also staying in Pozza this year, anyone have an estimate on how long it would take to ski to Marmolada given the usual delays expected in March?
snow report
If there are no queues and you get going early, you could get there in under 2 hours. Having read my report from 4 year's ago I think we were hampered because there had been a lot of snow, so the crowds were out.
Depending on where you are staying in Pozza, you can either catch the bus round to Canazei and get straight up the gondola there, then another lift to the anti clockwise SR route, or (my choice), ski over Buffaure to Alba and get up the lift which bring you out near to the linking run down to Arraba. Either way, I would definitely recommend an early start.
snow report
We're staying 10 metres from the Buffaure lift so we would defo go the Alba route. Thanks for the info.
snow report
@dodson666,
I don't know about March but we did the Marmolada on the trip above and there was significant queuing. Which there hadn't been in my previous January trip.
The worst queue was the low capacity two man chair from Pescoe above Arabba. There were also queues for the cable car at Malga Ciapela, based on this I would try and get access early to the Alba cable car by bus or car if you have one to try and beat the hordes coming from Val Gardena.
I'd have thought a couple of hours should be plenty of time if the queues weren't bad.
snow report
No car so looks like a takeaway breakfast from the hotel and on the first lift Cool
ski holidays
We stayed in Alba last month (last week of Jan) which is traditionally quieter.

From first lift at Alba to the top of the Marmolada it took us 3 hours at a decent pace. We had to wait 25 mins at the aforementioned two man chair and then another 30 mins at the cable car to get up to the glacier.

Coming from Pozza. I would catch as an early bus as possible.
latest report
Makes sense, if we get the earlier bus from Pozza we can be at Alba for the first lift at 8.30 and save an hour - I guess one early start won't hurt Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy