Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff Sunshine Shuttle or Drive?

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be skiing Sunshine and Lake Louise six consecutive days in February. I'll be staying in Banff along the free shuttle route, but will also have an SUV to drive (probably no chains, unless they automatically come with the rental).

Can someone advise generally, would you drive to the mountains or take the shuttle? Thanks for advice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Either easy TBH. Depends if you like a beer or two! We usually end up doing a mix of both. The roads aren’t winding alpine roads so you don’t need chains (never seen them). But the car parks can get busy - esp a powder day on a weekend and you can walk a long way. The bus drops you off right by the front. It’s not a crowded stand up bus but a coach, with skis loaded underneath.

If you are driving then a couple of tips. One day take the 1A Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise. It’s simply stunning and a good spot for wildlife. Secondly stick to the speed limits! It’s a popular spot (both the highway and parkway) for RCMP speed traps. One day we counted thirteen between LL and Banff. And a lot of cars being pulled over....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When we went to Banff, we had a 4x4 and drove rather than the bus. Gives you freedom, but at weekends you may struggle for parking as they drive up from Canmore / Calgary.

You wont get chains as rental co. don't allow their usage, and don't forget your park pass.

We also used it to drive to Kicking Horse and Revelstoke while we were there, which was par of the point for having one.The other was I was unable to walk very far, so really the buses weren't an option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done both. If you're driving in the park you need a pass, but you'll buy one as you go in anyway.

I guess now I've enough cash I mostly drive to the hills because then I never have to wait even a short while, I can leave when I like, and I can eat breakfast where I want. Most people (tourists) seem to take the bus, but then they possibly get to Banff on buses also.

As they say, the bus is likely drop you closer to the lift but it's hardly far either way, I'd not worry about that (obviously if you get up late you park further away... same as everywhere).

Your car will have at least M&S tyres and be legal and sensible as it is. I do not know anyone who uses chains and have never seen motorists fit them in BC/Ab. Most hire companies will prevent you from doing that in the contract. The roads you'll be on are not steep - it's like driving on the dual carriageway around Milton Keynes. Well ploughed if necessary. If you're a tourist and insist that you want to pay more for your rental they'll always try hard to sell you more, but they only rent legal and sensible cars, you don't need any extras.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never rented as the bus cost is included in the Big Ski3 pass. Nearly always nurse a coffee on the way in the morning, and catch 40 winks on the way back from Lake Louise (Sunshine too short a trip). As above, wouldn’t fancy trying to park on some days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Orange200, we’re the same. I enjoy the bus for all of those reasons and it drops us next to our hotel. More relaxing, no hassle, a bit of down time on the way home.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've always hired a car, but that's split between 4 of us. Never used chains. It can be handy for self catering to do groceries if you're not in the town center. But I can see the benefits of using the bus too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it partly depends on whether you’re renting a car anyway. We didn’t last time because I don’t enjoy driving after a long haul flight. So we used the buses and it was very straightforward. As were the local buses round Banff. It certainly wouldn’t be worth hiring a car to drive from Banff to the ski hills.

But if you’re hiring a car for the transfer you may find it easier to drive.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As mountain drives go, its easy and well-maintained.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buses are rammed at peak times and the queues were tiresome at the end of the day. If I had a car I'd have used it for convenience. Not much apres tbh to worry about so we went out for drinks in the evening followed by dinner.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The bus was totally fine when I used it, albeit a long time ago.

I remember thinking it was a drag being so far from Lake Louise staying in Banff but pretty much every journey back I seemed to fall asleep and wake up back at the hotel Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Car was included in the package we booked. It was very useful with early teen kids who always seemed to be ready just as the bus left. Car was parked under our hotel. Easy drive and we got to see a bit more of the surroundings than if we'd been tied to a bus, and we sometimes stopped for breakfast. Called in to the LL chateau and lake on our way back to Banff too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
v1cky24 wrote:

I remember thinking it was a drag being so far from Lake Louise staying in Banff but pretty much every journey back I seemed to fall asleep and wake up back at the hotel Laughing

Yup, as put in my TRs it works really well with jet lag from Europe; a snooze to recover from skiing and then be ready for the evening Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With the jet lag there’s no risk of missing the morning buses! You’ll be waiting for the restaurant to open for breakfast having been wide awake for ages!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
id second TommyJ suggestion.... use the suv for non ski touring, but don't bother for the skiing... the buses are fine.
if you are not used to snow, take it easy... 4x4 is not a tractor....
latest report
Thanks, all! I'm the OP and grateful for the good advice. You all have me leaning toward just using the shuttle for convenience of drop off and a quick nap on the way home. However, can you tell me if the wait time for busses on the way home are excessive?
ski holidays
They're scheduled and on time, on the button. If one bus fills they have radios and call in another, with about a two or three minute delay (if that), so you'll never be left for too long. Highly efficient.
snow conditions
They are scheduled about every half an hour to go home, I forgot how often in mornings. As stated, provided you are there on time, they don’t close the doors and shrug but immediately call up another. Take a pic of the timetable, keep it on your phone, then just make sure you’re there on time (ideally 5 minutes before).
snow report
I've done both bus and 4x4 from Banff to Sunshine or Lake Louise on a few trips.

Last trip round we drove to the slopes everyday. We put 1/3 of the back seat down and that meant we could simply leave all the skis and poles in the car overnight (we 'borrowed' a large towel from the spa area to dry them off a bit first), so a bit less hassle in the mornings. If there hadn't been a heated boot room, our boots might well have lived there too.

Also, my teenage boys left dry hoodies, jogging bottoms and footwear in the car, so they came home in real comfort everyday. You could also leave a picnic lunch or snacks too, if you're keen to avoid the cost of mountain food.

Finally, the luxury of never having to wait for a bus seemed worth me sacrificing the odd beer during the day. We never had to park more than 100m from the lift but then we were getting up v early.

The bus does work well though.
ski holidays
I've always used the bus, but they are surprisingly infrequent - every 45 - mins to an hour. Last one leaves the slopes at about 5ish too, so you are a bit limited if you fancy an apres beer or two.
snow conditions
I've always used the bus, but they are surprisingly infrequent - every 45 - mins to an hour. Last one leaves the slopes at about 5ish too, so you are a bit limited if you fancy an apres beer or two.
snow conditions
Although there isn't really much apres scene at the resort once the lifts stop. The last bus back from LL seemed to be mostly staff. By then everything was shut. It tends to be a beer at the resort - remember it shuts much earlier than in Europe - lessons are finished by 3:30, lifts start shutting at 4 - then the party (if you want) continues in Banff
ski holidays
Just got home with Mrs. Dode from visiting our girl in Banff. Unless your lodging is a hike from a pick up point, I really can’t see any benefit for skiing Sunshine.
We were there in kinda the perfect storm right enough. A: first big dump of the season. B: Christmas week C:weekend
We got speaking to a couple from Calgary, who said they were the last vehicle into the car park, at about 9am.
We got the bus, we left it til later, so they could try and clear the highway.We passed a good few cars directed to park approx 7km from the base station who were waiting on a laid on minibus to ferry them to base station.
Like I said, it was the perfect storm, and chances are you won’t be part of those kind of skier numbers. Burnt I really can’t see any benefit when skiing Norquay or Sunshine, and I’d really rather not choose to drive on the highway in those conditions (as they are in the National Park they are restricted to the quantities of salt they can apply to the highway, due to the wildlife, and are restricted to sand. The highway was still ‘marginal’ conditions four days after the dump).
If you are planning on skiing Lake Louise, then a car works if you want to hit the lake and have a drink at the ice bar after skiing.
ski holidays
Sunshine can be hell for parking on busy days if you don’t get there early.
ski holidays
I've been reading this thread with interest as we are heading to Banff in mid March. We will have a car and would, all things being equal, probably choose to drive to the lifts rather than be dependent on a bus. I see however the comments about the wisdom of getting to Sunshine/Lake Louise early if you are driving for easy parking. What would those in the know count as "early" for this purpose, please? Cheers.
ski holidays
whollymoley wrote:
I've been reading this thread with interest as we are heading to Banff in mid March. We will have a car and would, all things being equal, probably choose to drive to the lifts rather than be dependent on a bus. I see however the comments about the wisdom of getting to Sunshine/Lake Louise early if you are driving for easy parking. What would those in the know count as "early" for this purpose, please? Cheers.

I wouldn’t overly worry. I was there last year and we were frequently there and hour or so after lifts opened & didn’t have to park too far away. You can also (if you’re nice...) drop the group next to lifts with your kit, then park the car so only one of you has to do the walk. I only remember one day where we had to park at the bog end of the car park and from memory that was a weekend.

Would drive in preference over bus, for sheer convenience.

Ms P.
latest report
It's only going to be noticeably busy on weekends where getting there before the lifts open (~8:45ish) would be a good idea to beat the Calgary scrum...
ski holidays
Thanks - very helpful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went over New year a couple of years ago and did a mixture of both bus and car. We used the car for Lake Louise as it was a bit further away. During the week it was really quiet and at the weekend it did get busier for sure.

It was exceptionally cold when we went (-28 plus wind chill) for a few days and we found using the bus was pretty good as it allowed us to wear our ski or boarding boots from the start meaning they were nice and warm. When we went in the car they got cold. Once the weather warmed up a bit (-5) the cold wasnt an issue.

Buses run very regularly too. It's much of a personal preference. As I said we did both and you would be fine with either. Very jealous you will be out there! Definitely my favourite place to have boarded.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy