Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

travel around 14th dec 19 - ski schools open?

Poster: A snowHead
after the holly grail it seems, a resort that is going to have enough snow for 5 adults and ski schools open for a 4 year old and probably a 6 year old, there's also a infant in the mix, that needs nothing more than one of use with it.

where would you go at that time of year? the local schools got a bonus xmas week off so the school aged one and their family are free to travel. is it too soon for school sites to take bookings or is it too early for them to have enough clients to bother offering kids group lessons?

(ps I had a old profile, but I seem to have lost any knowledge of what I used to call myself or what email address I used)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl, Obergurgl, Sölden.

Obviously the glaciers too, but you're at the mercy of the weather up there (Obergurgl and Sölden too, really).

If the resort is open ski school will be available. Might even be better, as the new seasonaire type instructors might not have arrived, so you probably have a better chance of getting a local 'career instructor' than main season. Group lessons may be harder, though; or maybe just smaller groups?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go to Les Deux Alpes. It has a broad range of altitudes, so if there's not much snow you can hit the glacier, and if the weather is bad you can stay (relatively) low. It's open, and sometimes has 50% off ski passes at that time of year. I'm pretty sure the ESF is in operation that week as my son has a school trip out there using ESF instructors.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've been skiing Saalbach/Hinterglemm for the pre-Xmas week for years. Snow has always been excellent, even in the few "late start" seasons as they have good 100% artificial snow making.

Austrian hotels often have great family facilities (kids stay for free; all day kids-clubs; free crèches etc)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ischgl is a good option, it is one of the (if not the) highest non glacial ski area in the alps. It opens at the end of November and the main skiing and nursery areas start at around 2000m. The disadvantage with all high areas is vulnerability to bad weather though the nursery slopes at Ischgl are reasonably sheltered. From your perspective the downside could be lack of village level snow for the kids to play in, though you might be lucky. I dont like the "village" very much but there are not many options early season, especially if you want a good chance of decent snow conditions. Given that anything pre christmas is very much low season you can wait to the last minute to book depending on conditions but can see that might not be so practical with a family group.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
that's for the tips

if it was a single family last minute would be more appealing than catering for 3 different house holds, but its still an option,

after a couple of years out the usual haunts I have used to book seem to have be swallowed up or failed, so this is much more useful than a google search
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to Val Thorens at that time of year, but that was on a Uni ski trip, and I imagine they might well still go there at that time? That would be inclined to put me off if I wanted to travel there as a family (not that I have kids).
There was ski lessons available at that time of year, so don't think that'd be a problem, and as the resort sits at 2300m's chances are there'll be some snow.

Think if I was going to go at that time of year, i'd be looking at Val D'Isere or Tignes as alternatives.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely time to go, plenty of empty slopes and lots of room to play. Our school used to break up round about that time and it was great. New Head has pushed back to the 19th Dec now....grrrrrr
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheesie168 wrote:
Lovely time to go, plenty of empty slopes and lots of room to play. Our school used to break up round about that time and it was great. New Head has pushed back to the 19th Dec now....grrrrrr

the local schools moving buildings , as there's been a rebuild for the last year or so, summer holidays were a bit longer apparently and the big switch and demolition is planned at xmas, so the kids have a super long xmas, most of the parents have not been so pleased with this and I guess the local childminders are making hay while the sunshines, but very handy to beat the rush and get a first trip in
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm taking my 10 year-old to Tignes for a Snoworks course around the same time, Dec 13-23. It seems like there are plenty of courses / private instructors / ski schools running at Tignes during that window and everything is relatively inexpensive - cheap flights, cheap airport transfer from Geneva (and kids go free), cheap lift tickets as it's low season, cheap Airbnb as it's empty. I've never been to Tignes but I'm hoping it's not a false economy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes would be my choice at that time of year. Stay in Val Claret.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val Claret looks nice, how much of a blot on the area is the club med resort though? can't be bothered with hungover clowns getting in the way and thinking they are someone special when it comes to lift lines etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Providing the resort is open the ski-school will be taking lessons. Do a search you'll find that lots of resorts have promotions and deals prior to Christmas. La Rosiere is due to open on 14th December and in 20 years of skiing there I've never known the resort not to open on time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bowsaw,
Quote:

blot on the area is the club med resort though? can't be bothered with hungover clowns

Nothing like making an assumption then is there?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skitrack wrote:
@bowsaw,
Quote:

blot on the area is the club med resort though? can't be bothered with hungover clowns

Nothing like making an assumption then is there?

previous experience, granted it might be the groups in that trip, but it was as though 18-30's had been resurrected and placed on snow.
snow report
@Lee Shaw, we are looking at going to La Ros first week of the season. We went in Feb and had an incredible week but a little apprehensive about going 14th December. Would you say its a good idea? The prices are really good
snow report
@Lee Shaw, we are looking at going to La Ros first week of the season. We went in Feb and had an incredible week but a little apprehensive about going 14th December. Would you say its a good idea? The prices are really good
snow conditions
I'm considering a trip to Austria similar time to OP. Looking at Solden v Obergurgl v Obertaurern and was tending towards Obertaurern - any positives or negatives for there I should consider? (I haven't been to any of these resorts before, typically get my early season trip to Kitzsteinhorn and looking for a change this year).
latest report
@cheska7, Sorry I've only just picked up your response, apologies. La Rosiere always opens by the second week of December without fail, so all the ski schools, nuresies are open on that date. If you go to the La Rosiere website www.larosiere.net you can search the web cams for current snow conditions and look at the meteo forecast. It's important to get a reasonable base before December, when most of the heavy storms occur, so that if conditions aren't favourable snow-making will start.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy