Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing helmet after single impact (with no visible damage)?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get some opinions. I was on an instruction camp a few weeks ago and whilst riding very hard (with a group that was made up of participants much more experienced than myself) I caught the heel edge of my snowboard whilst riding the toe-side and trying to do reverse carves, fell backwards and whacked the back of my head onto the snow. The force of the impact was enough to knock my magnetic lens out of the goggle frame, but I was fine, and got up immediately to keep on riding for the rest of the day. Had a mild occipital headache for 15 mins but nothing else.

The helmet itself looks absolutely fine, with no exterior damage to the plastic, and no visible damage or compression to the foam on the inside. I'm aware of the advice to replace a helmet after a major collision, but obviously judging the severity of the collision is a largely subjective process (unless there's clear damage to the helmet/your head I suppose).

Just wondered people's thoughts on this. It would be a shame to replace the helmet as it was the first week I've used this helmet, and I've got another 3 weeks left just this season. But then, catching your heel edge is not unusual for a lower level rider and I've got another couple weeks of instruction camps where I'll be riding towards my limit, so if I really should replace it, I will just have to suck it up and do it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it took a good knock, I think you are supposed to replace it.

I spent 30 years skiing in a woolly hat, so I personally would continue to use it, if there was no visible damage - but that is not necessarily my advice to you. I think this has to be your decision, as it is your risk.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The manufacturer will recommend that you replace it.

If I replaced my helmet every time I bumped my head, I'd be bankrupt! I've had similar bumps to the one you describe (some years ago, I don't tend to knock it much any more) and am still using the helmet. I should probably replace it due to age, but I reckon it can see out the rest of the season.

But it's your head and your cash; only you can decide.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any damage to the foam in the liner
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
None that I can see or feel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@karansaraf, I have had similar heel edge slams. Checked helmet as you have and carried on using it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had a few head crashes with my helmet. Didn't see any damage, and continued using it. But it's just me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of the reasons I switched to buying my kids helmets is the state of those which they were give in Les Deux Alpes - the number of dents and knocks etc they were not going to protect their heads but did “tick the box” for the requirement of kids.

Following years in hire places I observed similar and watched staff happily pick up a helmets which had fallen approx 7’ off a high shelf where they dumped them.

Choice is yours but obviously there is a risk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@karansaraf, if it was a hard enough impact to leave you with a headache then IMO the helmet has done its job and probably needs replacing (you probably wouldn't be asking if you didn't feel the same too!).

Which brand is it? Many offer a steep discount on replacements after a crash - I believe Sweet is -40% for example.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stream of consciousness... I had a minor tumble off a bike and crunched my head. No visible damage to the helmet, but it felt like a solid enough blow. Based on conventional wisdom, I went back to the shop and they said replace it. Best bit: since it was less than a year old, I got a free changeover. That was from Bontrager.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is relevant for complex motorbike helmets designed to hit tarmac at 100mph, with complex honeycomb interiors. I would guess many ski helmets are not so complex, certainly the cheaper ones. Anyone able to comment?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't dream of replacing a helmet because it had fallen off a shelf. A helmet which couldn't withstand that would be a chocolate teapot.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
I wouldn't dream of replacing a helmet because it had fallen off a shelf. A helmet which couldn't withstand that would be a chocolate teapot.

Just once... sure, this was clearly happening all the time and the dents in the helmets exceedingly obvious.

Now whether you need a helmet - I as many others here learnt to ski before you ever had them available to buy.... however if you are going to wear one, it should sound IMHO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Orange200 wrote:
This is relevant for complex motorbike helmets designed to hit tarmac at 100mph, with complex honeycomb interiors. I would guess many ski helmets are not so complex, certainly the cheaper ones. Anyone able to comment?

That’s my understanding as well. My ski helmet just has a not very complex foam lining. It would need to look deformed before I worried.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:

Anyone watching "The Trial of Christine Keeler"? As Mandy Rice-Davis didn't exactly say: "Well they would say that, wouldn't they?".
snow conditions
Once again, our old friend EN-1077 rears it's head. Helmets can only be rated for a single impact as the vast majority are only tested for a single impact to earn its certification. Most helmets easily exceed the requirements, so would be safe to use after an incident with some basic inspection and some common sense.
snow report
Is it a hard shell over the (expanded polystyrene) foam inner, like a Sweet Protection helmet for example. Or a fused ‘in-mould’ thin shell together with the foam liner, like a Giro Edit helmet for example? With the latter you would easy see any deformation. With the former, the foam underneath may be plastically deformed but the outer shell may have sprung back in place.

Either way, I’d keep wearing a helmet after one knock (I’ve dropped mine loads). Unless I was looking for an excuse to buy a new one Smile
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

Anyone watching "The Trial of Christine Keeler"? As Mandy Rice-Davis didn't exactly say: "Well they would say that, wouldn't they?".

He he. My dad’s been on CIX for years; a common response there is “Mandy Rice-Davis applies.”
latest report
Would not bother replacing but if you do decide contact the manufacturer who often provide crash replacements at a discount. Helmets suffer a lot of knocks especially if placed in a ski bag in hold luggage when flying. I now always carry mine as hand luggage since my outer shell was cracked while in hold luggage in my overloaded ski bag.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

I wouldn't dream of not replacing a helmet because it had fallen off a shelf. Be careful with them, they are fragile and are intended to protect your brains.

Unless you x-ray the helmet you have no idea what damage has been done. I do not see any point whatsoever in hiring helmets; hired helmets' only guaranteed function is keeping the ears warm.

I am always astonished that no ski shop has an on-slope x-ray machine. Great way of making more sales.
latest report
James the Last wrote:
I am always astonished that no ski shop has an on-slope x-ray machine. Great way of making more sales.

I'm pretty sure that x-raying plastic would be of no use whatsoever.

Even it it was of use, cost and H+S would probably kill it as a viable idea.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
and some common sense.

On the same political axis as Mandy Rice Davies, wouldnt the above be a "Jacob Reese Mog" Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy