Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finding out when and where uni ski weeks are

Poster: A snowHead
We have just been looking at some very tempting deals in December, week before Christmas week in Tignes, but we think there may be a large uni trip there that week. I don't want to sound like a fuddy or anything, but I would rather stick forks in my thighs than be in resort with hundreds of British students again. It happened once before by accident, again at Tignes, and they were pretty much all obnoxious, loutish and dangerous on piste, including, and in some cases especially, the girls. Is there anywhere we can easily view when all large uni ski trips will be and where?
Thanks for any help or advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google says:
https://www.varsitytrip.com/ - Val Thorens for the posho's 6-14th Dec.
https://www.ubsc.co.uk/the-trip - L2A for Brizzle (looks fun!) End of March 2020

Bored of Googling now but Leeds looks to be the most fun! "A source said: "Cocaine found on every single seat of the coach."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8807543/leeds-university-students-arrested-drug-ski-resport-europe/

I don't think that BUSC is operating any more. Excellent fun in the 90's with those trips.......... Anyone else remember anything about them?? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you remember them, you weren't there... Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can see my future: https://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2018/04/16/13-things-i-learnt-on-the-bristol-university-ski-trip-33354

7) Weird middle aged men somehow go to the exclusive Bristol events and its slightly disconcerting

"Oh hi Barry mate, you enjoying Hospitality?" Barry is 55 and clearly loves a bit of dirty bassline and being surrounded by scantily-clad girls in sequins and edgy looking young men. Makes him feel young again. We still don’t know how he got let in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Klamm Franzer, I did BUSC in 1993 in Les Menuires, I only remember I did not race as well as I did on the dry slopes north of Manchester and that the coach journey was horrific. I suspect there may have been some booze affecting the rest of the memories!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thecramps, For Tignes I’d contact chocksaway via PM or he may reply to your OP but he’ll be aware of trips to Tignes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did Les Arcs twice and La Plagne 1997ish?? There was always interest from the French, along the lines of:
"Are you Eengleesh?"
"Oui, I am on a British universities ski holiday"
"How interesting, are there many of you?"
"Around 200, this week.
"Ooh LaLa, that's a lot!"
"Indeed, but there will be over 2000 next week!"
"Zut alors et merde! We're here next week too........"

My sister was on the Saalbach one a couple of years later when 'somebody' set fire to one of the accomodations with a pizza box left on the hob.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Busc 93,’organised it for rgit. Memory fails me but I do remember bus departing New Year’s Day? Lot of drinks en route and someone broke a leg getting off the bus !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@geepee, Back from the pub! I have not heard of any big uni trips this year (not infallible though). The last big one was 3 years ago and we seem to have fallen put f favour with them. I'm sure NUCO will be doing some small scale ones, but they happen through the year anyway.

But they are always accommodated in Val Claret so if you go to any of the other villages you will be fine. Yes, they can be a pain on the slopes but the last big one was when we had limited snow and it clashed with the Inmaculada Spanish shortbreak which runs around the 2 Spanish public hols of 6 and 8 Dec (which was when I took up touring with Tigski!). Given the amount of snow on the ground already this season then I don't anticipate it being a snag.

@thecramps, If you know the name of the accom I may be able to be more specific.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's all looking good for EK so far.

@chocksaway, Can I pm you?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thecramps, Of course!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thecramps, Sorry,
you'll have to do your own research - every university is independent and different. However there are only a few weeks they can actually take:

The week before christmas,
The first week in January
A whole period over Easter ranging from the end of March until after the Easter holiday.

Since I am likely to be skiing then (it is also the only time I can get away) I have to say that I don't really notice them. You see a few on the slopes and they pack the apres ski bars that play loud music but unless you happen to be in that apartment bloc there isn't really that much disturbance. 4 or 500 students in Les Arcs barely dents the norm of skiing. Sometimes they dance topless or in their underwear. Sometimes. Somtimes they get very drunk and seriously injure themselves. There are worse groups - children and school parties spring to mind. The students don't come hurtling onto the piste without looking for example - or push in at lift queues.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, I was thinking that, but hoped there was a mystery site that tabulated it all for everyone else's convenience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, Its the Varsity one you have to watch out for - its Val T this year. That's about 3000 in number and a number of unis and yes they were a complete pain in Tignes 3 or 4 years ago with limited snow and general ill manners. Most of the rest of the trips are by Wasteland or NUCO but they do not advertise dates.. NUCO seem to like Tignes, it happens through the season (ex Feb and Snow Pride) but the 500 or so each time are easily absorbed into Val Claret for apres and the Espace Killy for skiing. But if you stay away from the Glacier and routes to and from the Foolish Douche then you are unlikely to see any of those but the die hard skiers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The 'number' of unis in Varsity Trip is 2: Oxbridge and Camford.
They've traditionally gone skiing together, in order to compete with each other, forever.
It's run for them by NUCO. In fact it is their business that is responsible for NUCO
Stands for 'Not Under Corporate Ownership'.
Which is a thumb to the nose at TUI who owned them briefly until they all had a falling out.
As far as I recall, BUSC was bought by TUI, management included. Then TUI fired the boss and Varsity, their biggest client and a majority of their business, went with him, hence NUCO.
's very existence.

To be fair, the Varsity lot aren't a huge problem after about the 2nd or 3rd day as by that time all the liabilities are injured, hung over or have shifted from skiing to shagging as their preferred Winter sport, thus leaving only the proper skiers on the hill, of whom there are some really very adept ones. First couple of days though, yes I agree - watch your backs!
snow conditions
Not just uk university trips tbf although we have our fair share of those. Rise festival here in December is ostensibly a music festival but 95% of attendees are drunken uk students. We also have a Romanian festival later in the season which is very well attended and lively with lots of Romanian bands. I skied with a couple of band members of "Robin and the Backstabbers" a few years ago Laughing They tend to be much better behaved though. There are also sporadic large gatherings from various other European countries. I got caught up in the middle of a Belgian pub crawl once, every bit as bad as a UK one Shocked
latest report
@thecramps, @chocksaway,

The Oxbridge crowd were in Tignes the same week as PSB2017. About 3000 of them I think.

Allowing for their youthful exuberance, I thought reports of ‘bad behaviour and dangerous skiing’ were greatly exaggerated.

I spoke with maybe 20 or so of them at various times during the week. It struck me how mature and responsible they seemed, compared to my 20 year old self, and with me a pillar of respectability back then too.

I avoided the Folie, all but one day, and that bar near the base lift hub and bus stop in Val C. Also had to watch my back on the home runs back to villages late afternoon, Piste Henri and Trolles for example.

Nothing as disconcerting as during the main French school holidays I’d say.

There was a mix of abilities, from beginners through to extremely skilled competition skiers and boarders.
snowHead
snow report
@Claude B, yes anecdotally I believe Russian New Year week in Courchevel is not for the faint hearted.
I was also advised by hotel staff not to book in Arabba during ‘Slovenian’ week.

Maybe Russians and Slovenians are likewise warned about Bash weeks?

Live and Let Die?
wink
ski holidays
@admin, Adept or not, I still have an urge to punch them... Is that wrong Puzzled
snow conditions
Bollox.

https://www.facebook.com/events/671710496574986/?
snow report
There is also uni contingents going to Alpe D'Huez and Val Thorens on the 14th Of December
ski holidays
The week we had the misfortune to share a week with them the pistes around Val Claret were unskiable carnage, with alot of novice skiers just bombing causing accidents all over the show. There seemed to be quite a few people attempting to "teach" their mates. We got on the long chair, the two part one (is it les lanches?) With two girls who, it transpired through conversation, had never ever skied or had a lesson of any kind, and had literally just got their hire skis and got on the lift with us. We strongly advised them to stay on it and go back down, but they ignored us and attempted to get off, with obvious consequences. We saw a piste patrol and told them, but frankly i don't think they cared.
Drunkenness on piste was pretty bad, and we saw some really awful behaviour on a bus between claret and lac, where an old man was shoved, allbeit accidentally, but when someone pointed it out they were met with abuse. It was making my knuckles itch. It made me embarrassed to be British.
This was the varsity week, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad with the 500 or so. Would it? Puzzled
ski holidays
@thecramps, crikey, sounds much worse than 2 seasons ago.
Sounds more like Paris half term week, though with a higher average IQ.
snowHead
latest report
I dug out some notes from my 93 experience organising it, summarised as:
NY Day bus from Aberdeen to Les Menuires. I got on in Edi, very drunk obvs as was 9am to find 3 people already AWOL having either not got on in Aberdeen or got off for wees somewhere - never did find them, Carnage bus journey only broken up by duty free purchasing (and drinking) on ferry with 'dinner' (crisps), some sleep but a lot of smoking and drinking on bus, arrived in LesM, halfway through unload someone got off, slipped and broke tib/fib, medical students quite useful even while hungover or slightly tipsy, accomodation arguments as usual, during week alerted to various incidents - 2 parties wanted to meet on balcon so smashed wall down between, one apartment had bed set on fire query was person in it smoking ?, alerted to 2 sexual assault claims - both men assaulted by women but couldt remember who, why or when, accident 10pm on main piste - removed padding from pylon to sledge, hit said pylon on makeshift sledge, uneventful home until Bridge of Dee - snowing hard - had to chain up bus to get to RGIT union, skiied home to Bon Accord St.

I'm tired reading it !
snow conditions
My son reported on one of his university trips that they had a private ferry to take them across the channel, on which quite a few students got drunk. He reports one poor student standng on the car (bus) deck a bit the worse for wear - his bus had left without him and he didn't know what to do. Quite sad really - they really are still children in most respects.

It's not only Uk universities that organise ski trips I was in Hakuba Goryu last year where Osaka univerity was having a ski trip (very heavily discounted) the beginner slopes were packed with snowboarders just falling every few metres. It was actually quite funny. Unlike Europe young people in Japan take up snowboarding and of course do not have lessons. It was actually quite safe to ski through; less than 10% of the students were standing at any one time and you knew that those that were moving were only going to last a few seconds before they too were to be eating snow.
ski holidays
Glasgow uni's trip is 4th Jan in Les 2 Alpes, so pre Xmas you'll be safe from our weegies
snow report
johnE wrote:
My son reported on one of his university trips that they had a private ferry to take them across the channel, on which quite a few students got drunk. He reports one poor student standng on the car (bus) deck a bit the worse for wear - his bus had left without him and he didn't know what to do. Quite sad really - they really are still children in most respects.

"Quite a few students got drunk" is an understatement Razz

If I'm not mistaken in the later years of BUSC "private" ferries were common https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Universities_Snowsports_Council#The_Main_Event, It was more to separate out obnoxious and drunk students from families/other tourists. One year I am certain they were not selling alcohol on the ferry, kept the stores closed and the only other passengers were hauliers. It can be done when you have 3000+ students all heading to one resort. Yes it was absolute carnage.
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Google says:
https://www.varsitytrip.com/ - Val Thorens for the posho's 6-14th Dec.
https://www.ubsc.co.uk/the-trip - L2A for Brizzle (looks fun!) End of March 2020

Bored of Googling now but Leeds looks to be the most fun! "A source said: "Cocaine found on every single seat of the coach."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8807543/leeds-university-students-arrested-drug-ski-resport-europe/

I don't think that BUSC is operating any more. Excellent fun in the 90's with those trips.......... Anyone else remember anything about them?? Twisted Evil

Daughter did a couple of years repping the coach trips - Leeds were the worst 20 mins for most of them to be naked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, recall when Slovenian week occurs? Sounds like one to miss.
snow conditions
Brizzle studentz didn't seem too bad when we were at EOSB last year despite the wind related closures. Quite amusing to hear some billy big bollux student giving it the chat loudly to girls around him when in the queue for the Peclet. And of course a few rather fragile looking Amelias and Felicities and Jakes nursing cokes in the K+F every day.
snow report
We’ve been going week before xmas (just the two of us) and again over new years (with uni children) for a number of years. Even with uni ski trips in resort, week before is very quiet compared to New Years week. Generally manage 4+ weeks a season and first one of the season tends to be my favourite.
snow conditions
Cardiff are going to Tignes around the 12th Dec
latest report
The Army tend to have a ski racing week in Les Contamines at some point. Always a good idea to get skis off the balcony that week
snow conditions
admin wrote:
To be fair, the Varsity lot aren't a huge problem after about the 2nd or 3rd day as by that time all the liabilities are injured, hung over or have shifted from skiing to shagging as their preferred Winter sport, thus leaving only the proper skiers on the hill, of whom there are some really very adept ones. First couple of days though, yes I agree - watch your backs!

I dunno, I seem to remember the varsity trip was on the same week as the PSB a few years back and there were still some dangerous looking missiles later in the week. As you say though, many very good skiers..but I think that's part of the problem. Joe Bloggs on his first week on skis is mates with 3 guys who have all done a season and convince him to try a run. He's just about keeping up and enjoying going fast but is only in control about 15% of the time.

It's not wall to wall crap skiing, but because they're all wearing school uniform (hoodies) it is very noticeable
snow report
jedster wrote:
The Army tend to have a ski racing week in Les Contamines at some point. Always a good idea to get skis off the balcony that week

Because they'll be nicked or because at some point a pissed Sandhurst grad will be climbing over it?
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, That's just reminded me of that kid we saw wandering about the piste with one ski looking for the other one. Think we did at least three laps and never spotted it from the lift or piste. Laughing snowHead Laughing
snow report
@adithorp, Laughing I'd forgotten about that!! We managed to spot where he'd had the accident but no trace of his ski.
ski holidays
@mr. mike, so called Slovenian week in Dolomites was around mid January I think.
How much of an issue this really is I honestly don’t know.

A hotel manager I respect the opinion of implied, in whispers, that it was similar to being in the way when Ghengis Khan, Attila the Hun and the Jesse James gang were all passing through simultaneously.

I suspect he was exaggerating.
snowHead
ski holidays
Which reminds me of a conundrum I was going to raise. When the one smallish student week hit Tignes last year I was in a mates flat overlooking Cocorico. At closing time there was an eerie sight as 200 i phones illuminated as they tried to find their skis amongst the 100s on the rack. I was trying to think.of a suitable verb.......
ski holidays
My son was trip rep and then president of Nottingham Uni snowsports a couple of years back. He says there are only about 4 really big trips. Nottingham take about 1000 at Easter, Oxbridge is massive, I think Bristol is as big as Nottingham, and maybe one other. The rest are smaller, so probably not too much of a problem. But the big trips will go to Tignes or Val T cos they are big enough to absorb the numbers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy