Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps property prices league table

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

The pic is the price per m2 for the top 5%. The overall is included in the article below. St Moritz, Gstaad, Kitz, Courchevel, Verbier, St Anton is the European top 6

https://www.ubs.com/global/en/wealth-management/chief-investment-office/life-goals/real-estate/2019/alpine-property-focus.html?campID=SOME-CIOALPINEPROPERTY2019-CH-ENG-TWITTER-UBS-ADS-DEER-20191024-IMAGE-ANY-PAID
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strange way of expressing property prices
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hardly usefull
Combining St.Anton and Lech is showing laughable lack of knowledge...Lech is much higher than St.Anton, different league actually.
Think Courchevel-Meribel difference, which are apart in this drawing...Made in England probably? Very Happy
But anyway, buying a real second home in Lech (without obligation to rent it out) is virtually impossible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not helped by being priced in Chuffs rather than Euros.

FWIW, we have just paid about €4500 per sqm for a 110m house, plus it came with double garage up the road. It’s an old characterful property (much nicer than a newer chalet). A mile from the lift in St Martin de Belleville. Needs a bit of work, but, crazy as it seems, we realise we have a bargain as the newer (under 15 years but not new) classic style chalets are going for about twice as much. Swanky new builds in St M are being priced at €12000 per sqm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Similar in Verbier new builds typically twice the price of un-renovated old buildings. 10k per m2 for older stuff. Up to 25k for new build in top location like up at the W.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, you have to choose some unit to express the prices in and since ubs is a Swiss bank Swiss francs is the logical currency. What currency would you choose.

mind you the figures look a bit weird to me 12300 per ms quart metre for a an apartment in val d'isere seems a bit high to me. At rough exchange rate of .9 euro to the franc that puts a 35m2 apartment at almost 400,000 euros!!!!!!!

To put it in perspective my apartment in les arcs cost 2500 per m2
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, It was the curious way they created the figures by describing it as luxury market., the currency is irrelevant. You can have a luxury pad in many resorts, but it's the sum total of sales divided by the number of sales that presents the mean for a resort. This seems to be more about how many rich neighbours you will have. As you say the numbers for Val look a bit high,.Looking at agents in Val then 10k per m2 seems to be the asking rate meaning the achieved will be 8.5 to 9.

The French do publish an average price per m2 for commune each year, but I can't find it on my phone!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
UBS is obviously a posh bank for posh folk who want to buy a posh crib in a posh resort.

Prices look fair.

Except for Gstaad and Crans-Montana.

Way overpriced and overhyped for their cr*ppy ski areas and towns.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really don't think you buy in Gstaad for the quality of it's skiing or town. It's the neighbours.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The UBS results actually come from a fairly convincing repertoire of sources, if you look at the fine detail. Including actual sale values from public records. So it's a lot more representative than the usual gumpf you get form the like of Savills etc. which is based almost solely on their agencies. What I'd be interested to know is what the rate of turnover and typical length of time on the market: it's noticeable that in our Swiss 4 Vallées satellite, some places seem to come and go quickly while others seem to have been on the market well over 18 months. I reckon if I wanted to sell our apartment reasonably quickly, it'd go on the market at about CHF 5'500/m² (€5,000/m²) not including the m² of the underground parking place and basement cave. Although as it comes with a foreign owner license, perhaps it might be a bit more like CHF 5'900/m² (€5,350/m²). The trouble with these comparisons is the price m² is obviously higher for somewhere newer, or nearer to the lifts and shops, or with better facilities etc. So if everything in one resort is very new and in another relatively older, the CHF/€ per m² is going to reflect that, and not the intrinsic greater/lesser cost per m² all other things being equal.

I'm a UBS client, and as far as I can see, they're like any other bank - the majority of clients are 'ordinary' but there's obviously a segment who are wealthy. Just like my bank here in the UK. Within Switzerland, I don't see any particular cachet to being a UBS client.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@chocksawaymind you the figures look a bit weird to me 12300 per ms quart metre for a an apartment in val d'isere seems a bit high to me. At rough exchange rate of .9 euro to the franc that puts a 35m2 apartment at almost 400,000 euros!!!!!!!

We have 38m2 and our agent (also a friend) reckoned ours would be a quick sale at €350k last summer, so that's €9200/m2. But that is in La Daille. Something behind the Office de Tourisme in town will go for 25% more than ours. He sold his own place near ours, last year, for over €10,000/m2.

Quality of the re-fit counts for a lot and there are un-modernised properties available near us for €8000/m2 and even less.

We have two tiny studios either side of ours. We would buy them in a heartbeat if we could. If your views are good (we are on the 9th floor so unobstructed) the price per m2 goes up a chunk when you get into the 50-75m2 bracket. On their own, 23m2 studios can be had for under €7000/m2
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bar shaker, wow val is expensive. Good apartments in les arc are still going for 4,000 euro per m2 or less. I think you can pick up a studio of about 25 m2 for less than 100,000 euro

I have a staggering view right across the isere valley to mont blanc. It blows my mind away every morning when I open the curtains.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bar shaker, wow val is expensive. Good apartments in les arc are still going for 4,000 euro per m2 or less. I think you can pick up a studio of about 25 m2 for less than 100,000 euro

I have a staggering view right across the isere valley to mont blanc. It blows my mind away every morning when I open the curtains.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When the cost of new build inc prof fees is being commonly quoted at starting at €4500 pm with renovation not too far of that pretty much anywhere in the French Alps, this is obviuosly going to lift all boats in the water.... which is just as well as if they are not raised very high they will be without snow and only become summer walking properties.

Go high or go home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy