Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche, Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Our motley crew of "lads" (actually no-one under 50) are heading for the first time to Chamonix on 12th Jan. Just wondering if The vallee Blanche is likely to be open then, and if so, is a guide required to ski it? All fairly competant piste skiers but not so hot on the off piste. All helpful comments welcome! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need a guide. The local guide company does a package: https://www.chamonix-guides.com/en/activities/category/ski/vallee-blanche .

The arete may or may not be equipped by the time you get there. Someone in the Chamonix conditions thread will be well placed to advise on whether or not that's likely.

A guide may be reluctant to take people who are not already skilled with crampons etc down the arete that accesses the skiing from the cable car without the safety lines in place.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
almost there,

I'm not sure if the VB will be open then but, if it is, you will definitely need a guide.

You will need to be roped together to descend the ridge, before you start skiing (as theres a drop of a couple of thousand feet at each side); and, although its an easy ski, people die every year on the VB, falling into unmarked crevasses on the glacier.

Its a brilliant experience though- and one I recommend. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spoke to a couple who had skied it over Christmas week, but from the Italian side (they went through the tunnel to Courmayeur, then took the Helbronner lift), and they also said they had a long hike out.

So, it might be possible, but I don't know how easy it would be. Based on your description of the party, you'd definitely need a guide
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In terms of UK guides in the valley, I would recommend Stuart and Tim from Avalanche Academy http://www.avalancheacademy.com/page.asp?id=about
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B601ADeIVO1/?igshid=1izqs7s877dtv

Ok- that's from today. Looks like it's game on.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The arete doesn't usually get equipped until late Jan/early Feb. There are people skiing it now but they are generally pretty experienced. Given that it hasn't snowed in a while and none on the horizon the crevasses may be pretty open and it may not be possible to actually ski back to Montenvers, meaning a schlep on foot across the glacier. Feb is generally start of the VB season tbh

If you're not that experienced in either off-piste skiing and/or alpinism (use of crampons etc) then you will 100% need a guide. Stuart is good but knowing him I wouldn't have thought he would be taking people down yet (I could be wrong!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gorilla, thanks Gorilla, just checked out chamonix guides. Doesn't seem to be any availability for our dates or any in january. not sure if this is because it is booked out or wether the route isn't open yet! looks amazing on the video Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OHM says the arête isn’t equipped and it’s for experienced mountaineers only. Chamonix definition of “experienced mountaineers” is non trivial snowHead

https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/mountain-topics/mountain-conditions#
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave, “non trivial” ...

Titter!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B601ADeIVO1/?igshid=1izqs7s877dtv

Ok- that's from today. Looks like it's game on.

Call this guy when you are ready to go down the front Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
almost there wrote:
@gorilla, thanks Gorilla, just checked out chamonix guides. Doesn't seem to be any availability for our dates or any in january. not sure if this is because it is booked out or wether the route isn't open yet! looks amazing on the video Very Happy

They don't start until Feburary
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
albob wrote:
almost there wrote:

They don't start until Feburary

Roue open, has been since the lift opened.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowdave wrote:
OHM says the arête isn’t equipped and it’s for experienced mountaineers only. Chamonix definition of “experienced mountaineers” is non trivial snowHead

https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/mountain-topics/mountain-conditions#

Yup, skied it last week. Arete needed a health disregard for ones life, or crampons and 2 axes (and not those lightweight aluminum things). Skiing up high was very nice, a but wind affected above and around the Requin. And wind scoured n nasty below the Sall a Manger, ski out through the woods was remarkably good!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@almost there, for your ability I suggest you emphasise that you want to do the easy route. Also make clear whether you want to stop at the cafe (if so, set off early). Wax your skis (for the flat run out at the end). If any of you are boarders, you will have to make this clear when seeking a guide. The arete is the scariest bit, followed by skiing through a crevasse field (like a crumpet).
snow conditions
Other than the arete, the usual route has easily been skied by my elderly mother in law who isn’t at all aggressive. Like an easy blue with amazing views. But I think you really want the ropes in place.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy