Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on how to fix this binding setup? (Marker F12)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone! Great to be part of this forum where I can learn so much. I'll share my first post by asking if anyone can help me with this issue (two issues actually):

I just got my new gear for the upcoming season; Volkls Vta 98 with Marker F12 frame bindings. I had the bindings installed at my local ski shop and I let them know that the boots I'd be getting would have a sole length of 298 mm. After picking them up I had a look at the bindings, and noticed that when set to tour mode with the 7 and 14 degree positions the bars don't quite sit in the right place (see the first two pictures); as if the rear parts of the bindings have been installed incorrectly. Then, I got the boots and guess what: the sole length is actually 295 mm. So all in all, I have this problems:

Problem 1: 7 and 14 degree bar does not sit in the right position.

Problem 2: The bindings -if installed properly- were set for a boot length of 298 mm, while my boots are 295. In the way things are now, the boots go in seemingly well into the bindings.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The heel riser thing is normal IME - when you put some weight on the binding, it slides back against the stopper

Can't tell if the BSL is set up properly. You need to look at the length adjustment screw when the boots are clicked in and made sure it is flush with the heel piece. My experience (based on older versions of this binding) is that it requires quite a lot of force to click in so if your boots are going in easily, you may need to adjust. It's very easy - just needs a screwdriver
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to adjust the length and forward pressure (and the toe height) to your boot.
Quick Google found this (though his "piece of paper" for the toe height would be a business card I was told)...

http://youtube.com/v/q3V2faJaohs
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arno, is correct in how you adjust that forward pressure it’s very easy on them bindings. Regarding the heel lift have you fully moved the lever into tour mode as it can be a bit stiff at first. If you have and its still like that it shouldn’t be a problem anyway
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot guys! Yes, the length adjustment is really easy to fix with this bindings. I was worried that the stopper thing was an installation mistake. I fully move them forward and still have this small gap, but one of the bars actually sits properly in the 14 degree position, suggesting that it's all just a small manufacturing imperfection. If this affect the touring mode, I thought of sanding down the "holes" that adjust the position at which they stop.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sep, I have the same binding. It is essentially a fixed length, so if the rear plate was mounted in the wrong place, it wouldn't clip down into ski mode. The gap behind the bars is normal. It slides back into the correct position when you apply your weight to it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @Sep, most normal Alpine bindings can be adjusted for boot length by moving both the toe piece forwards/backwards and the heel piece forward/backward. F12s can't - the toe piece is fixed and all the adjustment for different boot-sole length is done by moving the heel piece. This is why the guys installing it need to know what your boot-sole length is. They will then aim to get the binding screwed on to the ski so that your boot mid-mark matches the ski's (nominal) mid-mark. If you have mis-quoted the sole length, then when you clip in, the two marks won't match by, oooh, about 2-3mm. Which is hardly worth worrying about, I think. When you get new boots, they will almost certainly have a different sole length but my opinion is, all of this just has to be in the right ball park. I got mine (F12s and Barons) set up for 308mm then got new boots that are 315mm. Still love using the skis with the bindings just where they were mounted (but adjustments made as scarlet points out in the next post and moving the heel piece back, naturally).

Two thoughts with respect to the lad in the video (happy for others to give their views too). Better use a Phillips No3; his looks a bit random. I've often been advised that the up/down adjustment of the toe-piece slider is super important for proper release. My guidance has also been to use a strip of paper like he does (80gsm regular printer paper fine) but that folded in two the paper should be gripped; single sheet, it should slide through (more in line with adithorp's business card). Check and re-adjust regularly through the season as your boots wear.

All the above are just my thoughts/views. If anyone out there has greater experience or expertise, do feel free to counter or add more.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 29-10-19 13:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bobski62, I'm not sure whether you are saying this or not, but to clarify, if you are switching between a 308mm and 315mm boot, the forward pressure and toe height will need to be adjusted for each boot so that it releases correctly. A few mm either way in where the binding is attached is neither here nor there though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, @Scarlet, defo. All needs re-adjusting as you say, but the toe piece cannot be moved forwards or backwards, so boot and ski centre lines will diverge by a smidgen. Will edit earlier post to make that clear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bobski62, Ok, now I get why the boot length is important when setting up the F12s. I guess that with a 3 mm difference it would be virtually impossible to sense any difference (the boot is only 1.5 mm forward, right?).

Thanks for the tips on the slider adjustment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, in your case @Sep, 1.5mm, if the tech drilled mounting holes accurately and yes both scarlet and I don't think it'll make any realistic difference.

Hope you enjoy the new skis and get some great touring in this winter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy