Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

misspelt resorts

Poster: A snowHead
St Jervais, Mayerhofen have cropped up today, but the one that really bugs me is Courcheval

any more ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smithski, spelling it wrong is actually a notch up from the usual:

"Where did you go skiing this year"
"Italy"
"Oh yeah, which resort?"
"Errrm?!? Santa Something? I dunno, it was near the Spanish border I think."

Kitzbuhel hardly ever gets spelt correctly
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hemel Hemstead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Technically, any place with umlauts.

Seen these recently:
Chalet / Chatel (I'll let that one by as a typo not picked up by spellchecker)
Les Arc / Les Arcs (surely only one is correct?)

Prefer "misspelled" to "misspelt" personally.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy wrote:

Prefer "misspelled" to "misspelt" personally.

Thought that might get a mention Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
surely mis-spelt or mis-spelled wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very Happy I always love the metcheck.com ski resort list for france full of mispellings, but if you want real problems just try and get people to spell Shepherd right
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy, mmm Les Arc I almost posted that as well, but looking at the piste map in front of me the french use both Puzzled le weekend style i suppose
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whoever wrote it, misspelled the name. Hence the name was misspelt.

Oh, and it's Kitzbühel, not Kitzbuhel. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chill Factor?

But then I never could work out how to do an 'e' in superscript - at a jaunty angle!

Still, all of this is not as bad as walking round with a piece of plastic that says 'LICENSE' on it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just be careful when entering into Sat Nav - I wanted to go to La Plagne and ended up on a beach
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or Kitzbuehel... for web url's etc...

That is a pretty handy tip, should you know an area/word that has an umlaut and you want to do weeby things then chuck an e after it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
always have trouble with ニセコ町...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, show off wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stanstead rolling eyes
ski holidays
livetoski,
Quote:

the french use both
Really? Is it not that each of them is in the singular eg Arc 1800?

smithski,
Quote:

the one that really bugs me is Courcheval
Me too.
latest report
This should win some kind of prize:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43374&start=40#1042489

Mind you, even professional tour operators make the same mistake Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64594#1535797
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
livetoski,
Quote:

the french use both
Really? Is it not that each of them is in the singular eg Arc 1800?

Indeed. How could it be Les(pl) Arc(sing)?
ski holidays
I've been puzzling over St Jervais this week - now the penny has dropped = Ste. Gervais

Les ARCS includes all the ARC settlements - so Arc plus height = one ARC The LES ARCS is the collective name.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

Ste. Gervais
?
latest report
Well, it was obviously a brilliant point, if it had to be made three times! Laughing
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Saint not Sainte.
snow report
Oh dear, the pedants are positively falling over one another at the moment! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, I've got a slow trigger finger today. Laughing
ski holidays
Not misspellt, but misheard:

ME: The skiing World Cup is being held in Bormio.

Work Colleague: I didn't know they had skiing in Borneo!
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

LICENSE

Yip! I think that about 0.5% of the population gets it right - even some journalists in posh newspapers seem to think that anything goes.

Quick lesson:
1. 'To license' is a verb and is always spelled with an S - eg the premises was licensed to sell alcohol.
2. A licence is a noun and is always spelled with a C - eg driving licence.

Simple really. And the same goes for practise and practice by the way - those are mis-spelled even more than license/licence....

But most annoying of all is apostrophes. Sad as I am, I have nearly come to blows with workmates over Magistrates Court, Dogs Home (ie the stray variety) and similar.

What are your thoughts? In my view, the above two examples do not require apostrophes - because the court and home are not being used in a possessive sense but are just places where magistrates go or dogs live - (as distinct from the magistrate's house or dog's bone) with the words magistrates and dogs being used only as plurals. Hence, Dangerous Dogs Act does not have an apostrophe - it's not an act belonging to dogs but is just about them.

By way of a final and definitive - if yet silly- example (by my definition of course!): Imagine one day that it is decreed that it's necessary to license wink cabbages. So a national licensing office is set up. Surely it would be called the Cabbages Office - and not the Cabbages' Office?

Workmates disagree even with that - "Oh, that's because a cabbage is inanimate and can't possess anything...." Oh really? How about The car's wheel.....or the cabbage's leaves?

Yes, yes, I know I should really get out more rolling eyes My brain hurts.....
latest report
mountainaddict, incoming bite...

It is the Office of Cabbages. Hence Cabbages' Office. With an apostrophe.

Home of (or indeed for) dogs, stray or otherwise. Hence Dogs' Home. (Although I wonder if it shouldn't be Battersea's Dogs' Home...)

Magistrates' Court - a court of magistrates... etc.

James is always a tricky one, and we've done to death about how some places are without: "St James Football Ground" / the 'whole' is considered the proper noun, so can be with our without depending on who and how it was originally conceived. Others, St James' Street, can (and will) be different.

Practice/ practise is a good one tho'. The one that get me reaching for the edit button on colleagues' documents is affect/effect confusion.

Did it affect the outcome? No, there was no effect.

Back to ski resorts - not one I'd blame anyone for, but in our valley there is a restaurant Chalets des Arcs, named I'm told after the (very) small community that once existed there. However most people consider / translate it as a single Chalet / building.
snow conditions
not so much misspelled, as mispronounced.

two saffers walk into the swiss travel office at geneva airport (sounds like the opening line of a bad joke).

question to the lovely helpful lady at the counter: "can you tell us which is the next train to nen-daz please?"
answer: "the train to narn-de will depart from platform blah at blah."

two confused people look at each other.

"er, we're going to nen-daz. sorry, is that the destination of the train?"
patient woman at the counter: "it's called narn-de. you get off at sion and take the post-bus up to haute narn-de."

ah! the light bulb goes on. then two seconds later... doh! Embarassed *two embarrassed english speakers slink off.*

(though i don't think i made the mangy tout mistake when i first got here.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sherlock235, I thought it was nen-daz Embarassed (or at least nen-dah)
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, you're right, Narn-daz. But even some French speakers might pronounce it Narn-dah. (A bit like Gigondas - the final consonant is always voiced locally, but I've heard some - northern - French people not voice it.)
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, you're right, Narn-daz. But even some French speakers might pronounce it Narn-dah. (A bit like Gigondas - the final consonant is always voiced locally, but I've heard some - northern - French people not voice it.)

I don't think I want to get into the apostrophe debate. wink It is perhaps worth noting, though, that the license/licence practise/practice rule doesn't apply in a rather large English-speaking country!
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
It is perhaps worth noting, though, that the license/licence practise/practice rule doesn't apply in a rather large English-speaking country!

Ah but, the licence I was referring to came from BASI - unless you count Scotland as a large English-speaking country!

What also gets my goat are those folks trying to sell their ski's.... Somehow, they never identify exactly which item it is that actually belongs to their ski.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Surely it would be called the Cabbages Office

It's even got a website.

wink
snow report
Quote:

I don't think I want to get into the apostrophe debate. It is perhaps worth noting, though, that the license/licence practise/practice rule doesn't apply in a rather large English-speaking country!

And what kind of defense is that?
snow conditions
Hurtle, when in Rome etc. If I moved to the States I'd spell things their way, but I assume we're discussing European English here.

And I'm not getting into the apostrophe thing either. I sometimes read an otherwise perfectly acceptable blog whose author insists on writing its with the apostrohpe after the s. WTF would you ever do that for? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Lizzard cos sometimes they mean "it is"?

doh! forget what i just said. i just reread your post and saw "after the s" after i posted.
latest report
Lizzard, yes, I was just being awkward for the sake of it. Toofy Grin
snow report
mountainaddict, I thought you had it absolutely right. Then I diverted my run this morning via the Courts to check their spelling. The road-sign outside, presumably erected by the Council Highways Department, had "Magistrates Court", but the plaque by the door had "Magistrates' Court" - as does the Courts (sic) Service website.

The preposition 'of' often signifies possession, but not always - Bachelor of Arts, can of worms, gentlemen of Verona. 's or s' always signifies possession, but possession is quite a wide concept, and just as the Lord Chief Justice has his court, the Magistrates have theirs. If we were describing a court dealing with issues around cabbages, I am sure we would call it the Cabbages Court.
ski holidays
sherlock235, don't do that to me, I nearly had a seizure. Laughing

Just for anyone who may still be confused:

it's = it is
its = belonging to it
its' = I didn't pay attention to my English teacher when I was eight
ski holidays
Lizzard, Embarassed sorry miss. i'll write out 100 lines. Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy