Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon MTB Lab vs Smith Vantage helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

In the market for a new helmet for this winter and these are my two top choices. Anyone have any direct feedback on them?

Prob 70/30 resort/touring. I don't tend to wear a helmet when skinning, just headband and sunnies with helmet and goggles in the rucksack so aren't worried about sweating on the way up though I do tend to run hot. Helmet goes on for the downs and I'm using an ancient POC at the minute and my head is drenched at the end of the day.

Mildly concerned that the Salomon might be *too* cold in January with vents you can't shut?

Any other recommendations (especially if a nicer price...)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, but I do have the MTN Lab, newly purchased for the coming season. I bought it because it's light.

I regularly ride in minus 10 to minus 30. I doubt my head'll get cold, but I'd just buy some thin scull-cap liner if that was to happen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a Smith Vantage which I like but TBH I think you need to try some on - not sure anyone else's experience means much!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, try before you buy. Smith is quite a round fit and doesn’t suit my weird head at all
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've tried a bunch on which is how I whittled it down to these two. They both fit comfortably but I'm interested in experience with breathability or direct feedback on issues I may not have considered outside of fit and warmth alongside any real life experience which may help me to come to a decision out of the two. (or any other recommendations I may not have considered that I can then try)

Bit surprised at the replies tbh. Of course other people's experiences mean something, "they run warm", "the strap is fiddly in gloves", "they make it difficult to look up with a rucksack" there's plenty of variables outside of fit.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i have the MTN lab and used for a couple of trips - i find it brilliant when its hot and just wear headband or beanie (or fleece hood) under it if its cold. It really is noticeably lighter than helmets I've had before (eg giro9). Perhaps it feels a bit spartan (less cosseted?) sometimes as a trade-off... not significantly though IMO
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy