Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slope Angel Clinometer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had any experience with a Slope Angel or Slope Angel Halo? Its a combined clinometer and thermometer device, the Halo version has an altimeter and avi beacon tester.

It looks useful for someone (like me) who would like to find out more about the freeride terrain they are skiing in. Is it better than the similar but more pricy Pieps clinometer?

Any thoughts welcome.

https://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product/slope-angel-halo/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve got the Pieps 30 Plus XT, and had the previous version before that. The main difference between the two being the XT allows the user to change the battery, whereas the original version had to be sent back to Pieps. I think I paid less than £50 for mine.

I’m not sure I would pick the Slope Angel over the Pieps, as the Pieps has the major advantage of always being there, as its on your ski pole, rather than having to be got out of a pocket or pack. After comparing with other devices and forecast temperatures I’m happy that the Pieps is accurate enough in terms of angle and temperatures.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I tried the original Slope Angel, wasn't impressed as it has to be absolutely horizontal in the short axis for the angle readings to be anything like accurate, it was easier to use my phone's spirit level, or even better, the Theodolite app which enables you to find the slope angle without contact with the snow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ken and PA, Yes, I think most of the functions can be done on a smartphone. Not sure about temperature or transceiver testing which the halo version does. Also it looks fairly robust and can be attached to a rucksack strap or similar.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just kind of look at the slope. It's not a black and white thing, low angle slopes slide too. Just more stuff to carry around.

Maybe I could use one to measure the playfield angle on my pinball machine, but it doesn't say how precise it is so maybe not.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, should work fine on the pinball machine so long as you installed it level Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't know if these ever made it to the market...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1368073986/poleclinometertm-the-ski-pole-inclinometer-sticker

Oh yes they did... Toofy Grin
http://poleclinometer.com/

Should be quite easy to "roll-your-own" ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geoffers, I think that may be the answer, a home made pole clinometer. It should give an approximate angle of slope for calculating avi potential. As@philwig, states there are a lot of other considerations to be bourne in mind before using a slope.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@philwig, which pinball machine have you got? One of my old favourites from the 80s was the F14 Tomcat, I think made by Williams. I was having a look on google and they are quite pricey for anything decent.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy