Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weird Winter Sports clause

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This clause is in the Now Travel Insurance Winter Sports extension...
'You are skiing North of the earths equator between 1st Jan-30th April, or South of the
earths equator between 1st June-31st Oct and at a destination of higher than 1600
metres above sea level.'

So you're not covered at Christmas and NY or in the low lying resorts in the Eastern Alps?!?!?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Drammeister,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Covered for what? Does that relate to piste closure or similar?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Drammeister, or summer (well after 30th April) glacier skiing in the Alps or Scandinavia, which is perfectly feasible? Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it only relates to piste closure, but it's hard to tell, as their policy wording document is very poorly formatted. The same wording and terrible formatting exists in the Ski Club GB insurance policy wording.

MPI insurance seems to have an identical restriction, but it's very clearly stated (Section 19 of the Policy Wording).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder who the misinformed pedant is who dreamt that up Puzzled

Also, how many clients are unaware of the clause?

I suppose for Xmas cover they offer a special Sant...let’s not go there.
snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I think it only relates to piste closure, but it's hard to tell, as their policy wording document is very poorly formatted. The same wording and terrible formatting exists in the Ski Club GB insurance policy wording.

MPI insurance seems to have an identical restriction, but it's very clearly stated (Section 19 of the Policy Wording).

Actually, on closer inspection, the MPI wording doesn't have any mention of resort height, but is slightly more restrictive in terms of dates:
"PISTE CLOSURE
Valid for the period 1st June to 15th October in the Southern Hemisphere.
Valid for the period 1st January to 15th April in the Northern Hemisphere."
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
opps yes!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
While it seems fairly restrictive does anyone know of anyone ( friend of friend of distant acquaintance accepted) who has ever successfully claimed for piste closure at any time of the year?

Not that I am at all cynical but I have never heard of any resort closing all of it's pistes. No matter what the conditions they always seem to manage to keep at least one piste open which stops any potential claim.

And anyway since when did £30 (MPI standard policy benefit) cover the cost of losing a days skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timc, I claimed successfully in 1999. All but one short and dangerously overcrowded blue piste closed 5 days out of the 6 in Tignes Le Lac. Too much snow and persistent blizzard conditions.

Got a paltry €21 back but the moral victory was satisfying.
snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Timc, I've claimed for piste closure. Obergurgl at New Year a few years ago, resort was completely closed and the lift company provided an email to confirm. My wife and I got £50 each for missing a day of skiing. Mind you that was a storm, not a lack of snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, @Valkyrie, Thank you for enlightening me, I had always thought that the piste closure clause was one of those things that look nice in the policy but that no one could ever claim for.

The only time we came close to having to claim was several years ago when the resort we had booked had absolutely no snow and lots of rain in early Jan. Fortunately (or not, but that's another story) the TO with whom we had booked moved us to another resort which had some snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve never claimed for piste closure due to lack of snow, but have few times due to avalanche risk or high winds closing all lifts.

The only times I haven’t was with one company who claimed that their “piste closure” clause was only for lack of snow, not for avalanche or storm, and another company who when I tried to make a claim (being able to provide a valid lift ticket and letter from the lift company), demanded so much financial information (all credit cards, bank accounts, home insurance etc, for everyone in the party), in an effort to deflect the cost onto another policy, I gave up for the sake of £25.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy