Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Allalin amateur downhill ski race- Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone taken part?

I'm a good recreational advanced piste skier (no race training) of nearly 40 years and have always had the race on my bucket list to do.

I am slightly concerned that it will be full of semi pro racers and I will look rather rather stupid in comparison.

Has any other Snowhead taken part and if so what is the general standard like? Will a 40 something Brit be out of place?

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grachen, I've done it twice. It's a funny one (out of the Volksrennen) although each is unique. It starts pretty lightweight then just gets progressively sillier. I've been glad that it was a short course each time!

Volksrennen literally means "people's race". You get many standards, although most can ski pretty well! So generally quite a high standard, and not as mixed as the Inferno. But very sociable and I'm reasonably sure you would be very welcome.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just looked at this years results, 9km race, winners averaged nearly 90mph, winning snowboarder 67mph.

On my board I max out at just over 50mph down a single drop so I think I'd save my blushes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BoardieK, naw, there are loads of "sporting" competitors...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think there is a separate 'fun-runners' category, which you can do solo or as a group - possibly the day after the main event. I was there on the main race day this year, and reckon the standard was fairly decent - quite a few people dug out their racing ski suits for it, and most took a fairly direct line down the mountain. That said, the competitors go down one by one, spaced out by 20 seconds or so - I don't think it would get much notice if you weren't going quite as fast. And a lot of the racers were comfortably north of 40 (some of them maybe in race suits that don't fit as well as they once did...).

The town is quite lively during and after the race, so it's a fun time to be there. For any non-competing friends and family out there with you, bear in mind about a third of the mountain is closed off for the duration of the race.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
90 mph average for 9K ?? Think some calibration is needed. That’s way faster than worldcup dh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy