Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Neilson Sardinia Beach Club

Poster: A snowHead
October half term in Sardinia? Kids getting to that age when they want to hang out with other kids and we’re quite tempted by the road biking and wind surfing. Anyone done one of these? Not too cold in October?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-10-19 5:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Corsica many years ago with a MW jobbie. Thunderstorms overran the town's sewage drains and no watersports were available for 3 days. Nice enough but a one off experience for me and regretted not having a hire car - probably different if you have kids.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, I've used Neilson beach clubs a lot for windsurfing, dinghy sailing, VTT etc in the past and they have been good. But I have only used them in the height of the summer. The cooler weather of October might be better.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve been to Neilson’s Sardinia. It’s a great holiday for families who like to be active, though it isn’t mandatory, the set up means there is lots to do. The road cycling is excellent, and the wind surfing so much fun. We went May half term, so can’t comment for October.
My children hung out with relatives and chose not to do the kids club but the kids clubs looked well organised, busy, full on active and, most importantly, looked like everyone was having a lot of fun particularly with the water sports. The quality of the water sports equipment was v good. SUPs, lasers, dingys, catamarans, kayaks etc all available as and when.
I’d recommend hiring a car for a bit, to see the beautiful island for a day or so, and heading for an Agriturismo for a traditional Sardinian tasting menu. And despite that, it was fab to come back feeling healthy, fit and full of vitamin D.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DJAT, perfect thanks. Did you need a wetsuit for the windsurfing in May or sea warm enough? We’d be arriving on the Thursday so plan was to rent a car and explore for a couple of days before hitting the resort. Any places stand you’d recommend? La Maddalena island looks nice although may be a bit deserted in Oct
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've been to Neilson Sardinia twice now, both times in May when the sea will be colder than it will be in October.

The road riding is superb and the sailing is OK.

When sailing we really only did the dinghy racing for a giggle and always wore hikers but that was more out of habit and protection than need as we've got too many bruises from not having worn them (we sail lasers 52 weeks a year), we tried suping and didn't wear anything other than shorts and despite several swims the water was fine.

The kids clubs look great, hand them over at breakfast and they're fully occupied until dinner (or later if they're older).

Possibly the only downside to Sardinia is that the resort is a bit isolated but that's the Neilson model, we hired a car for the week from the airport which cost about €200 and was great as it meant on the nights when you're not fed you can get to some good restaurants.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've done three in Greece right at the end of the season. Always had a good time - the "relax as hard as you like" line is spot on. There were people who just stayed by the pool, but our day was pretty full of tennis, sailing, windsurfing etc. We don't have kids but the ones we have seen have enjoyed it. They are always doing something, they certainly won't be bored. Can't comment on Sardinia, but we've always had sun. Great value at that time of year too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We love the Neilson beachclub formula but felt that quality was going down (in terms of accommodation getting tired , food quality not as good and beach kit knackered) whilst prices were going up (£ 8500 for a week in August at Vounaki).
So the value for money in school hols felt a bit off kilter.

They have been owned by private equity for years and bled dry.
Now under a different PE company )LDC) who is more geared to travel so money might get spent on doing things up.

We ended up booking Mark Warner in Turkey for 2020.
They gave us a full 10 % off as we are all scgb members (Neilson used to do some discounts but cut right back).
Plus we got another £ 400 knocked off for paying the whole bill up front...
And they were great at answering emails . Neilson are not good at that....

They did check club membership - you have to have been a member for a month.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@marcellus, thanks. We’re renting a car. £55 for 9 days!

@sheffskibod, blimey that’s pricey! £2800 for 4 at Oct half term. Half that for the week before!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sheffskibod, Shocked

@BobinCH, we've done several Neilson holidays but all in early summer. The kids club is great but be aware that it's not all day every day for the older kids, who join you for lunch (age 12+ i think, I can check). Something to consider, if you want to go exploring for a full day. They also usually have 2 days where kids club starts after lunch but then runs right up to 23:00.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
@marcellus, thanks. We’re renting a car. £55 for 9 days!

@sheffskibod, blimey that’s pricey! £2800 for 4 at Oct half term. Half that for the week before!

Yep the basic price is £7200 ish but we have to have two rooms interconnected and that bumps it to £ 8135

So a bit cheaper than my original post.
That is why we are going Mark warner. !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mgrolf, thanks! Was recommended to put the boy in Hot Shots for sailing which seems to be literally all day, every day! He’s asking when he’s going to get his holiday Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, yep, Hotshots is all day every day, and he can stay for lunch as well if he wants to. He'll be able to join the evening socials with his age group of the normal kids club too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Have you considered Club La Santa in Lanzarote? Further south, so warmer at that time of year I would guess.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have done two Neilson summer trips. Both were to Adakoy in Turkey which was an amazing place. However the formula is very much the same as it was a few years ago. We loved it! Depends on what you consider to be a good holiday, but we don't like to sit around all day doing nothing unless we've earned it! So in the mornings it was windsurfing or sailing lessons followed by an amazing lunch, a few hours of relaxing around the pool and then off for a bit of beach volleyball or tennis in the evenings.
snow report
DCG wrote:
@BobinCH, Have you considered Club La Santa in Lanzarote? Further south, so warmer at that time of year I would guess.

Yep considered Canaries but no direct flights from GVA unfortunately
ski holidays
We are heading out on 12th Oct to Nielson in Croatia, must be at least our 10th half term trip. Water is always warm, weather normally good. Had one chilly experience in Turkey when it was 9 degrees.

Managed to snag sub £500 per person Smile
snow conditions
@BobinCH, both mine loved Hotshots, they didn't necessarily love every activity as they prefer paddle sports to sailing but they thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience so I'd recommend it. They made loads of friends for the evening activities and it also meant they had friends when we went on the flotilla away from the beach club for the second week. As Rhoobarb said the 'relax as hard as you like' is very apt and I always took a HIIT class and/or a run or cycle every morning before sailing all day then late afternoon by the pool before an amazing dinner.
snow report
We’ve booked our first Neilson holiday to Sardinia at half term too. Probably the week later than you though as our half term starts 26 October this year. My thinking is that at least there is lots to do if the weather not great. Good tip about hiring a car. I’ll look into that.
snow report
@RobH2017, sounds great. Thanks!

@LadyDi, we’re the week before. Hoping to get out for some biking so weather needs to be good!
snow conditions
Ended up heading to La Maddelena for the first couple of days. Wowsers - it’s stunning. A sunset swim in surprisingly warm water in a deserted, pristine bay, followed by a 5 euro pizza and bottle of Sardinian red. Great first evening! The panoramic road would have been perfect on a bike...

ski holidays
@LadyDi, looks like you timed it perfectly for the weather. We had great weather for the first few days. Visit La Maddalena if you get a chance...

The the heavens opened last night and all day today...

And suns coming out again tomorrow and staying all next week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy