Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenèvre and Claviere 2019 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Don't think that there's a specific Montgenèvre and Claviere thread and it is probably best to not group all the Via Lattea resorts together as the conditions can vary a great deal between the resorts.

With an early opening this coming weekend, we went on a mini road trip (25mins) up to Montgenevre to ski tour up the pistes that we were hoping were/had being prepared similar to what we did last year, or was it the year before Puzzled

Weather was dubious, and the forecast was for overcast conditions, but we could live with that as just good to be out.

As we were climbing up we were warned off going up the main steep slalom piste as a basher was working on it with a cable connected to an anchor at the top.

Must admit to getting a bit discombobulated with my choice of route, and I ended up taking the skins off a couple of times, with a couple of mini descents, and then back on again for the climb up towards the Gondran sector, and the weather was more than kind to us, though off piste snowpack had a fair crust so we stuck to the piste for a change Laughing

As you can see pistes are looking good, and their main opening weekend scheduled for the 7th and 8th December to coincide with the Italian Festival pour la Sant’Ambrogio.

Currently, I'd say that Serre Che has more snow above 2,200m but think that will all change from tomorrow onwards and over the weekend as a Retour D'Est weather systems looks set to dump more snow over that way than Serre Che, especially Sestriere.

I'm going to be driving to Val Thorens via Frejus tunnel tomorrow afternoon so will probably see the effect of it all when I drive back Monday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks good. Great to see Montgenevre always adapting their opening times to the conditions.

Going up to my place in Claviere tomorrow, I'll let you all know how it is!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Subscribed. Also interested to hear what the Maurienne looks like Weathercam; damp and wet on the valley floor, I suspect.
Thank you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drove back through Montgenvre on Monday and the Douanes pulled me over and checked to make sure I didn't have any "passengers" Laughing

The snow line was down in Oulx and the drive up to Cesana so the snow on the side of the road and trees steadily increased.

I had a chat with the Douanes and they said a meter at altitude but temps were +7 so it was consolidating fast.

Had a day off yesterday, but this morning awoke to heavy wet snow falling, the forecast was for the weather to clear a little by Noon, though no-one else thought that so I was Billy No Mates on my way up to Monty, and was I relieved as I parked up to see glimpses of blue sky.

So on with the skins and started the climb and was very picturesque with the fresh snow and the climb was easy as it was firm underneath the fresh where they had bashed it yesterday.

And you can see exactly the depth of snow at 2,160m

I climbed up to the Grand Charvia at just under 2,600m some 850m of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/2895236615

Should add that the snow was quite slabby and all though some pitches looked sweet, they were beautifully dangerous and I was taking no chances.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was thinking before I read your last comment the snow looks pretty wind-affected.........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think this vid shows the snow at various levels well.

And when I start skiing you can see how I immediately question the snow and then seek out better snow and a safe (untracked) line.

http://youtube.com/v/n_xc3JWF6TA
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy