Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 year-old - recommendations for Hemel/snowdome lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, our 6 year old could do with a bit of practice in between holidays and I was wondering if others did the same and could recommend a particular approach.
How are the group lessons vs private? It would likely be only for one course leading up to next year’s holiday. Our closest snowdome is Hemel but it’s an hour away on a good run.
He is snow plough turning on blues and probably we should have done a second week to get him really comfortable this year but wasn’t to be Sad
Also he has never used a button lift (but a pro on the T bar bless him).
Thanks to anyone kind enough to share experiences/thoughts!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did the group lessons at Tamworth on the basis they get to be with other children the same age, our daughter was 5 when she started and our son 7 and they progressed nicely over several lessons. I suppose the rationale is the same as lessons in resort, there would be quicker progression in private but a slower pace and other kids to hang with in groups, while the overall cost is probably equal as they get to the standard slower in group they do get more time on skis and in boots which is a secondary goal. Any fun time on skis will help I would imagine, ours certainly enjoyed it and it was a day out. We now just go a couple of times before the first ski trip of the season to get ski legs back a little.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks RobH - was thinking along similar lines and glad you’ve found it helpful. My eldest in particular could do with a couple of warmup sessions also as she is invariably regrouped into a much stronger group after the first day; may be worth a try!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're welcome, we only did Snowdome lessons the first year to get them up to a standard but it did work, then resorted to just the pre-trip warm up; have a great time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skimum1, I would recommend booking him in for occasional (e.g. once a month) lessons over the spring/summer/autumn: the slope is quieter, the groups might be smaller, and the price is lower. All in all a better experience than a couple of lessons at the last minute in peak time just before your next holiday.

It's also likely that they will progress much more through regular practice throughout the year - 6 year olds can forget things just as quickly as they can learn them, so a monthly session would keep all the skills they've already learnt fresh and mean they don't have to relearn things come next year.

If they've already got reliable snowplough turns on a blue run then there's a good chance they'll need to be on the main slope. If using the lift is something you think they'll need a bit of help with then Level 4 group lessons sound about right - it introduces the lift and the main slope to skiers who can already show good snowplough turns on the training slope. If they're a pro on a t-bar then the button lift should offer few challenges though. Level 5 group lessons would take those who already have some main slope experience and get them skiing confidently from the top.

Group lessons vs private lessons is really a personal choice and depends as much on your 6 year old's approach as anything. Private lessons are obviously more expensive, but especially at busy times you can get a lot more skiing done as you're not waiting while the instructor helps others in the group, and you're not restricted by the needs and abilities of the rest of the group. Some kids prefer being in a group environment and enjoy having other children to play with. Some kids find the presence of other children annoying or overwhelming. Some need more individual attention either to help them progress or because they progress very quickly. You're probably the best judge of that. One difference between private and group lessons is that you can request which instructor you want for private lessons, so if getting a specific person with certain skills or qualifications is important that's the route to go.

It sounds like a lesson or two could get them up to the standard required for the Snowstars coaching program which runs on weekend mornings and is good value for money.

I'm an instructor at Hemel so if you have any more questions let me know.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Kieran - just saw your post which is super helpful... definitely giving me food for thought as time to get something lined up for the youngster before we go in Feb. Will definitely check out the private lessons And see if that’s more feasible given limited time. Thank you!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy