Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Finland between Xmas/NY

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks...

Does anyone know if it is possible to fly (non-stop) to Finland (Kuusamo Airport) between Xmas and NY? I had been considering a quick few days in Ruka but seems like it is impossible to travel there at this time, for such a short trip???

Thx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I arranged a trip there a couple of years ago the only direct flight was a charter operated by Thomas Cook (for Crystal Ski). All other options required a change, making it a long and expensive journey.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, Thx for potentially confirming my thoughts... I'll take a look but I would assume companies like Crystal are not going to offer flights on a daily basis.

Amazes me that in a time of budget airlines and a reasonably popular destination, flights are so restrictive...

Thx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlpineAddict wrote:
@rob@rar, Thx for potentially confirming my thoughts... I'll take a look but I would assume companies like Crystal are not going to offer flights on a daily basis.

Amazes me that in a time of budget airlines and a reasonably popular destination, flights are so restrictive...

Thx
Crystal were weekly flights from what I recall, Sunday to Sunday. One thing to bear in mind, although it might be a lengthy flight to Kuusamo, the transfer form airport to Ruka is very short, about 25 minutes, so your door-to-door travel time might not be as long as it appears just from looking at the flight timings. One of the cool things you can do is drive yourself back to the airport on a skidoo at the end of your holiday. The company you use to rent the skidoo will take your luggage to the airport and you can drive yourself along frozen looks and forest trails.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That does sound super cool, however, the huge stumbling block is that we only want to go for a few days... and this seems to be not an option, unless we want an incredibly long flight with stops ...

Will look further but thx for your help
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineAddict wrote:
That does sound super cool, however, the huge stumbling block is that we only want to go for a few days... and this seems to be not an option, unless we want an incredibly long flight with stops ...

It is a shame, as it's a great destination for a few days of skiing and a few days of Lapland fun, like skidoo rides, husky dog sleds, Northern Lights if you're lucky, ice-kart racing, intro to cross-country skiing, etc, etc. We had a terrific time there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We looked last year and the year before and came to the same conclusion.

The tour operators seem to book up absolutely everything, so your only real option is to go with one of them unfortunately.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although the dates might not work for a short break after Christmas, SAS might provide an alternative Scandi experience to the Lapland experiences of Ruka?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did Ruka with Lufthansa last year. Manchester to Frankfurt then into Ruka. It ended up quite the trip as due to problems at Frankfurt with security we missed the connecting flight and had a varied dogs eventually arriving Ruka 36hrs later than anticipated. But Lufthansa were excellent. It's not easy to get to. Finnair you require an overnight one way or other in Helsinki. We have been 3 times but heading to Norway this year instead.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy