Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens local or 3V lift pass?

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to VT at Christmas with the family for the first time. The plan is the kids will be in ski school in the morning and we’ll ski together in the afternoon.

The kids and my wife are all pretty solid red run skiers and I’m a bit behind but ok on most reds and catching them up fast (in my dreams!) I’ll also be taking the board which I’m comfortable on pretty much all terrain on/off piste.

Question is would the VT local pass be too limited for us? In the mornings we can’t venture too far due to being back to collect the kids. In the afternoon we have more freedom and time to explore. Having never been to VT before are the links quick over to the rest of the 3 valleys? Would we get decent use from the extended ticket or all there be enough in VT to keep us occupied? I’m assuming most runs will be open by Christmas after huge storms earlier in the month Happy

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went Easter 2018 and I bought a 3V pass but in all honesty I think there's more than enough to keep you entertained in VT especially given you're working to Ski School timings. Obviously it's great to have the option to venture over to other areas but I'd suggest it's definitely not essential.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you asked the ski school whether you need a full area pass?

The weather at Christmas can be a bit dicey and so they may close the links and/or you want to stick close to home and days are shorter at Christmas and if you are having to meet up at base after ski school you are limited to the extent you can travel. I presume you are skiing 6 days.

That said Mont Vallon just in itself has great skiing and if you can get over to Courcheval there is a fine array of runs.

On balance if you are going 6 days and ski school doesn't require it I'd go for Val T only.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get a 3V pass. The links are perfect. As above, Mont Vallon is not to be missed, and Courchevel has some of the best piste skiing in the Alps and is barely an hour away.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This ^^^^
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm always happy enough with a VT pass during the EoSB. More than enough to ski from that and the Orelle valley, especially if you're having to sort the kids out.

If you decide to go 3V pass then links are good, the drop down towards Meribel from the top of Plein Sud can be a bit of a shitshow in the morning but I think they've reprofiled part of it since I last skied it.

It's always nice to have a full area pass (especially as it gives you the freedom of not worrying about wrong turns!) but I don't think it's as vital as posts above suggest and personally I'd rather spend the money on hot chocolate and beer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You actually have 3 ski-pass options:

Val Thorens-Orelle
Vallee des Belleville
Les 3 Vallees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=LBobKB72VLw

Val Thorens-Orelle is a good sized ski resort in its own right, and you wouldn't get bored if you spent the whole week skiing there. And Orelle is the "hidden" 4th valley — well worth a visit.

But then of course, Meribel and Courchevel are beautiful in their own right. I go every year in early Jan to VT, and we have always had loads of snow, as it's the highest ski resort in Europe. I would imagine you will have lots of snow of Christmas as well.

But some years, as we traveled up the Belleville Valley on our transfer from Geneva Airport, the snow was pretty bare, with quite a bit of grass; and the same over in Meribel, with poor snow conditions. But we always feel smug as we approach VT as the snow is always fabulous!

To be honest, I'm just not sure how far you will be venturing if you have two kids in tow who are just learning to ski. The runs down to Meribel maybe too much for them. But it maybe worth you getting passes for the whole of the Belleville Valley, not least because it's easy to make a mistake and end-up there only to find your ski pass does not work!

In any event, perhaps wait and see how the snow is; there is no discount for early bookings. Plus, study the ski-pass options carefully as you can get family discounts from the official ski pass centres. If a 3rd party such as a chalet or hotels are getting ski passes for you, they often can't be bothered to get you the best price.

In any event, you will have a fab time in VT; you could not pick a better resort if you want to be sure of snow.

Make sure you book an evening at the Chalet de la Marine — a piste basher collects you from the resort in the evening and takes you up the mountain for a magical evening meal. I would book NOW as you are going over Christmas — they might even be open Christmas evening and Christmas day.

http://www.chaletmarine.com/en/soirees/soirees-traditionnelles.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munter, it’s worth adventuring our from VT to Meribel and Courcheval just to get a sense of how big the 3V area really is. But be gentle with your group - some of the red runs you’d need to ski back will be a little steep in sections, and may be tracked out or lumpy by the end of the day. It’s no fun trying to rush slightly anxious red run skiers down icy slopes so that you don’t miss the last lift connecting back to your valley (been there, done that, not worth it!).

If you can’t leave VT until after ski school (and presumably after lunch) this may not give you time to get to Courcheval and back without really rushing. If you miss the last lift, it’s an extremely expensive and long taxi ride back to VT.

I suggest you plan one day when the whole group goes to Meribel and Courcheval, but start first thing in the morning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munter, having been in this situation recently (SFaB last year, daughter - who skis pretty much any piste, at speed - in morning lessons) I wouldn't bother with the 3V pass. Unless you really go for it (and don't stop for lunch) you won't get far into the rest of the domain. VT and Orelle have more than enough to keep you busy for a week. If you buy the full 3V pass you may end up feeling - like I did - that you've wasted your money.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Assuming you and your "red run" skiers go at a decent pace, I'd say go for the 3V-unless budget dictates otherwise. How old are the kids?
If you don't know the area, it's quite easy to drop into the wrong ski area anyway once you get up above VT on the edge of Meribel/Les Menuires-especially with enthusiastic offspring, who will probably be skiing faster than Mum and dad and have a tendency (in my experience) to bomb off down the nearest slope without asking directions first!
VT can be pretty bleak and cold at that time of year. If the visibility is poor, you might a trip over and down into the trees of Meribel at least.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Getting into the Meribel valley is dead simple - it's two technically two lifts (Plein Sud and 3 Valleys), but the ski between them is so short you can think of them like a two stage lift. From there it's one long run into the centre of Meribel (lac de la chambre). It's not a great run for a boarder though - there's a long flat and a bit of uphill as you approach the Mont Vallon lift. The return to VT is similar - Plattieres and Cote Brune lifts, with a short ski between them. You'll probably find yourself coming out at the bottom of VT village, but there are a few options to get higher (Cairn, 2 Lacs or the magic carpets).

Getting over to Courchevel is harder - you've got to do the Meribel journey, then add another long lift to get you to Courchevel. I tried that with a group while my husband was in ski school and we got to the top of the Courchevel lift before I decided to turn back to meet him for lunch - I didn't actually ski in the Courchevel valley at all.

Depending on the price differences, I'd suggest the Vallee des Belleville pass. There's plenty to keep you busy for 6 days, and you don't need to worry if you'll be back in time. I'm particularly fond of the Orelle and La Masse areas.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think a local pass would be more than enough
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are there no option to upgrade just one or two day to the full 3V instead of buying a whole week (when in practical terms you probably won't be going out of VT except for 1 or 2 days)?

Layne wrote:
Have you asked the ski school whether you need a full area pass?

On balance if you are going 6 days and ski school doesn't require it I'd go for Val T only.

That maybe an important guide to use. For "comfortable in red" level, if the ski school doesn't require a full 3V pass, it says a lot about what VT can offer.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 27-10-19 15:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc, there is. It usually works out cheaper, but slightly more hassle, to buy the extensions if you are only going out of the home valley for 1-2 days (it can vary a bit depending on age/ pass duration etc). For more days it is usually cheaper, and simpler, to just buy the 3V pass.

Which is "better" depends on personal preference. If you like repeating the same run multiple times, say trying slightly different lines or mastering bumps, then a VT only (or a Bellleville valley) pass may be enough. If you prefer to travel around, trying new pistes and villages each day, then a 3V pass may suit better.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For some reason we always buy a 3V pass but very rarely venture out if Courchevel.
snow report
I just get the full 3V pass. As a family the adults can buy it at the same price as the children, so the difference in price from the VT-only pass is relatively small. It means I never have to wonder about taking a piste and finding I'm at the bottom of a lift my pass doesn't work for. And likewise it makes it easier for the instructor in ski school if they aren't constrained because my children have a local pass and all the others have full area passes. You can get from VT to Courchevel in an hour if you don't hang about, so while others are right that there is plenty to do in VT for a week I think there's merit to getting further afield and exploring.
snow report
The other thing worth noting if you haven't been to the 3V before is that it is that the different valleys are a lot more interlinked than in many resorts. There are often many different ways of getting from A to B, and even if the start and finish are in the same valley, the best route might take you over the ridge into the next one.
latest report
@munter, With so much of the good skiing in the Belleville valley being below Val Thorens I would certainly consider getting at least a Valley pass rather than just for Val Thorens. That way you will open up some excellent runs such Jeruselem (voted by many as their favourite run anywhere) and La Masse, which IMHO is some of the best skiing in the 3V. On the other hand a full 3V pass will give you access to Mont Vallon which also has some of the best red runs anywhere. If my memory serves me well then the run from Val Thorens down to Meribel first thing in the morning is an absolute delight.
snow report
I'd say just the VT-Orelle pass will be plenty. It's a huge ski area especially if you go into Orelle one day. With ski school collection to factor in you'll find masses just in that valley. I think you'll be rushing, and just going places for the sake of it with a full pass. Feeling like you ought to go to Meribel just to get your moneys worth. But you needn't, and will still have loads of runs just in VT-O
ski holidays
stats:

The 3 Vallees:Val Thorens-Orelle, Les Menuires-St Martin de Belleville, Méribel, La Tania, Brides les Bains et Courchevel
> More than 600 km of runs.
> 35 black, 107 red, 140 blue, 55 green

Val Thorens-Orelle:
150 km of runs.
> 9 black, 30 red, 35 blue, 11 green
latest report
Just get a VT pass, top up online if you feel there is not enough. It's easy to do. As long as you don't need more than 2 days in the 3v's either that or go full 3v's passes and make use of them to get your extra money's worth. A coffee in the Tremplin out will negate any savings made anyway.
ski holidays
Stinkpickle wrote:
I'd say just the VT-Orelle pass will be plenty. It's a huge ski area especially if you go into Orelle one day. With ski school collection to factor in you'll find masses just in that valley. I think you'll be rushing, and just going places for the sake of it with a full pass. Feeling like you ought to go to Meribel just to get your moneys worth. But you needn't, and will still have loads of runs just in VT-O

I'd echo this - you'll get a decent chunk of stuff to go at, and it's nice to 'go somewhere' whether it just be orelle or Les Menuires, both of which are pretty straightforward to get back from..
latest report
@bertie bassett, how do you get back from Les Menuires with a Val Thorens only pass. Do you have to get the bus?
latest report
I don't think the free inter-resort bus runs between Les Menuires and Val Thorens. (Or to be more precise, last season it ran but was only available to pedestrian and cross -country skiers). You might be able to get a service bus.
latest report
As it's just a vote on personal prejudices I'd say VT-Orelle. Though I've occasionally had a wider area pass I've never in practice really used it to find better conditions outside the 2 valleys. Plus it's early season so best snowpack will be up high.
ski holidays
[list=][/list]
russ_e wrote:
For some reason we always buy a 3V pass but very rarely venture out if Courchevel.

Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
a quick look tells m the difference between at VT/Orelles pass and a full 3 V pass is €40. Considering the price of your family ski holiday at Christmas, and the fact that you're solid red run skiers, I'd say you'd be stark staring bonkers not to get the full 3V pass and take advantage of arguably the best and largest piste cruising area in the world for the price of a round in a bar.

Keep in mind also that that if the weather isn't great the VT is a bleak place to ski, you'll want to be on the tree lines runs of Meribel and Courchevel.
ski holidays
Depending on how many children (guessing 2-3?) it’s roughly £25 a day extra for the whole group to get the full pass. I doubt they’d leave the VT-Orelle valley every day as there is SO much terrain just in vt to explore, so the daily use price may be more like double that. Just doesn’t seem worth it. I’d rather have the £250 in my pocket still at the end of the week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, what length of lift pass does the extra 40 euro cover? Is it 1,2 or 7 day pass?
ski holidays
@Dr John, what length of lift pass does the extra 40 euro cover? Is it 1,2 or 7 day pass?
latest report
@johnE, 6 days
latest report
Many thanks for all the super helpful replies. I spoke with ski school and for the levels the kids are at they said a VT only pass would be fine. I therefore think we’ll just get the VT pass if the snow is limited to higher up or the Valley one if it’s good further down too. Then if all goes well we might take the kids out of ski school on the last day and upgrade to the full area to go on an adventure!

Just about to go check out Chalet de la Marine Happy

Thanks again
ski holidays
Various people are mentioning a pass for only the Belleville Valley.

Unfortunately that pass is available only for single days now. Therefore, for 6 days or more it's a choice between the whole of the 3Vs or Val T (plus Orelle) only.

I think that's a pity. Sad

FWIW a 3 Vs day ticket is €63, Belleville Valley €60 and VT/Orelle €56.

I've just had a look at the pricing structure of the 3Vs passes. As mentioned above, the price of a day ticket is €63. Beyond that, they (disappointingly) seem to have adopted the USA model - with no real discount for multiple day tickets of up to 5 days. (It's €297, or €59.40 per day, for a 5 day pass). However, for a 6 day pass they offer a surprising significant discount and charge only €312 (ie day 6 for only €15; with the 6 days costing €52 per day).

They then add a further €49 for a 7 day pass, making the cost of that €361 (€51.57 per day).

Is my memory playing tricks? Or was it always the case that European lift tickets gave decent, per day, discounts for multiple day lift passes - even from 2 or 3 days upwards? Puzzled I seem to recall that even 2 day passes gave a worthwhile discount.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy