Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avi Pack for a Small Woman

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey I'm looking at buying an avi pack as the rentals are always way too big for me and is really uncomfortable for a full day. I'm quite small (160cm/50kg) with narrow shoulders and torso - the ones I've tried even the smallest strap setting is still a bit big. Looking for something just for a day out so doesn't need to fit much more than a shovel/probe and is would want something as light as possible. Does anyone have any advice/experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horsepotato,

We have the ABS Vario, which comes in different back lengths.

Mrs B is only 5 feet tall (or should that be small?) and has the small-length back unit.

The Vario consists of a back unit (ie the avy pack and arm straps) that you zip a rucksack onto. Ours came with a 15 litre rucksack, which is good for day tours.

It is possible to buy bigger rucksack attachments, however.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horsepotato, Hi and welcome snowHead

I am similar size to you and suffer the same problem Confused I currently have the ABS Powder which I think is similar to the Vario that @Bergmeister has mentioned and also has the zip-ons, although neither are current models. It is the correct back length for me, but I find it heavy and bulky even though the bag is only 15L.

I am currently looking for a new airbag. The Mammut ones are a less bulky shape than my ABS, but still a little long. That said, I will go to their shop and see if any of this year's models are a better fit. I think some of the Ortovox bags may be shorter, but again they are quite bulky.

If you have access to a shop with some bags in you can try, that would probably be best. It's worth noting that some companies like Mammut also make the same backpacks without the airbag systems, so trying one of these would at least give you a guide to the size if not the weight. Let us know if you find something.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 20-10-19 11:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Scott Patrol E1 AP 22 that came out last season is the best avi pack I've seen for small users ( https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-patrol-e1-22-backpack-kit ) as in addition to its short back length it doesn't protrude too far rearwards. They've been incredibly popular and I'm already completely sold out of the 19/20 22L size (mostly sold to 5ft'ers) and so is Scott so I can't get any more so you'd have to find a retailer that still has one - but you'll need to get a wiggle on as they won't be around for long. And being Supercapacitor powered there's no flying issues etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, Which model did you have with you at last season's EoSB?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@horsepotato, I’m not as short or light but struggled with the size/profile and weight of the earlier packs - they just seemed to drag me into the back seat and it was a constant fight to stay centered whenever I tried one so I just didn’t use one. The Mammut Ultralight 3.0 was a gamechanger in that respect - my boyfriend bought one and when I borrowed it for the day I hardly knew I had it on. I ended up buying the slightly bigger/heavier Mammut Flip 22 Removable Airbag 3.0 because I wanted to take it touring and the Ultralight is just a bit on the small side to get in skins and crampons as well. But just for days off-piste roundabout it’s perfect.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
@spyderjon, Which model did you have with you at last season's EoSB?

That was the 30L one. The 22L is shorter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, a quick look suggests that Snowtrax still have some, although they are cheaper in various EU retailers if you're continentally based.

Anyone got an Ortovox avi pack? They make a range in 'S' for short and there are some quite well priced at the moment (probably last years colours), but I have no experience of them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aye, I have the Mammut Ultralight and I've never seen anyone with anything remotely as small. It's not just the light weight, but the bag is at the top and other than the carbon cylinder it's just a shovel pack. I'm not sure about back length, but it's shorter than the standard DaKine heli packs from memory at least.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the interests of research, I popped into the Mammut shop in Innsbruck today to try on some avi bags. The guy in the shop grimaced a little when I said it was for me and did he have any in short?! He pulled two out for me to try, although one was last year's model and not widely available anymore.

The only model from this year's range that comes in short is this:
https://www.mammut.com/uk/en/p/2610-01840-3567/pro-x-women-removable-airbag-30/
It was a reasonable fit, but it's a 35L bag and so quite large. The design of the rucksack has changed since last year (the airbag system is identical) and is wider and has a weird hardish goggle protector in the top. You can kind of see it if you zoom in on the second photo – the black area with the Mammut logo on is angular. I wasn't particularly sold on this, or the strange colour tbh.

He also showed me this one:
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/mammut/pro-short-removable-airbag-3-0-33l.html although it was still €680. It is from last year and is more what I expected the Mammut bag to look like. It is about 2cm longer than the other, so not quite as good fit, but slimmer and less bulky. It also felt lighter, though according to the label there isn't much in it. It is 33L, which may explain the slight difference, though that's still quite big.

I didn't buy one today, not least because I'd just dropped €500 on my lift pass, but also because the bloke told me that if I came back between 15th Nov and 15th Dec, I'd get a free carbon cartridge (normally €140). I think I preferred the older model, though I'd prefer it even more if they knocked a bit off the price wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Black Friday is coming up, maybe a sale?!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy