Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French resorts, 08-15 Feb (half term region C)

Poster: A snowHead
2 reasonable standard old git intermidiots heading out on their ski hols., likely to be 08-15 Feb. Lots of options re resort, and considering some of the French resorts, such as LDA, Les Arcs, Morzine, Avoriaz, Flaine, Tignes. But I notice that it is region C half term that week (although region C hols appear to be spread over a three week period). Are the French resorts likely to be busy that week?

Our other options include various places in Austria and Italy (Val di Fassa e.g. Canazei is particularly taking my fancy ATM). I would have liked to have gone on the Birthday Bash but cannot make the date.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

But I notice that it is region C half term that week (although region C hols appear to be spread over a three week period). Are the French resorts likely to be busy that week?

yes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zone C is Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse et Versailles and it's 2 weeks not 3, du samedi 8 février 2020 au lundi 24 février 2020

It will be busy but probably not as busy as the next 2 weeks which will each be holidays for 2 zones. Plus of course whatever European countries are off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Claude B, thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Italy...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dobby,
I'm going that week to the dolomites.
Val di Fassa maybe busy as it is Danish holidays
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's the Scottish half term & it is normally ok in StG
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@T Bar, I’ve heard the Danes like val di Fassa
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
French holidays best avoided of course but based on many years of Feb half term in Chatel it will be busy but not fatal. If you avoid ski school meeting time and don't subscribe to the French habit of lunch at Noon you should be OK
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dobby,
I believe so I'm off to Ortisei.
Not sure how it will compare to France or Val di Fassa but the last time we went to the dollies at that time lifts out of Canazei and Colfosco were very busy elsewhere didn't seem to bad.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's the Paris region's first winter school holiday week, so yes, it will be crowded. More so than the second week? Hard to say although psychologically, coming so soon after Xmas holiday might mean that many will aim for second week. All I can say is that if we didn't have kids I'd be nowhere near any major school holiday...@Claude B is correct about overlap, too.

If you want to know when the French holidays are just google "vacances scholaires"
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers all.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dobby,

To generalize, it's the Paris weeks - don't go to a French ski resort during Paris week - Sad Shudder Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skitrack, I have not very fond memories of my wife being mowed over by a couple of French teenagers in La Thuile...one was found in the catch netting at the bottom of one of the black runs. A French chap we were with went over, swore at him in French (v. rude word) and told him to get himself out...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like Pam W says go to Italy.

The only date to watch out for in Italy is Carnevale but in 2020 that will be the last week of February.
snow conditions
Switzerland? If you're looking to keep costs down, how about one of the Satellites like Nendaz (in 4 Vallées)? Or stay in the Rhône Valley at a mid-range thermal spa and drive out to some of the many ski resorts in the area like Ovronnaz, Verbier, Crans, Nendaz etc. The local Swiss cantonal hols don't start 'till 15th (asd far as I can see - but check for yourself), so likely to be quieter than France. Self-catering can keep the overall costs down quite a bit.
snow conditions
Say for example someone has booked their Geneva flights and car for this week before reading this thread.

What would the best advice be? Asking for a friend... Embarassed
ski holidays
@vfr4, you could book somewhere in Switzerland. Another though La Thuile, transfer time looks to be about 2hrs. I have no first hand experience but this thread suggests it would be Ok

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3454694
snow report
@vfr4, We've done Italy last few years with flights into Geneva and hire car. La Thuile perfectly easy to drive to and a great resort IMO. Never really seen a queue there, we go in the Scottish School holidays which normally clashes with one of the French zones, but never a problem. Driven to Sestriere and Claviere from Geneva too, agreed it is a bit of a drive, nearly 3 hours, but worth it for the lack of queues etc. Stock up at a big supermarket on your way up if you are self catering.
ski holidays
Also through the tunnel to the Val d'Aosta is a possibility.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy