Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mr Gripy ski tuning stand

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried the Mr Gripy ski tuning stand? https://www.happynorwegian.no/home

I've seen some fairly good reviews, and wondered if it's a solution to us not having anywhere to attach a vice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you not have a workmate or similar?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
Not currently.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks fairly decent from the very short clip of it on Stomp It Tutorials Youtube channel a few months back. Think the video is called something like “5 cool things from...”
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a set and I’m selling my old Swix table because the Mr Gripy is so versatile.

You can use it anywhere that has a flat surface (floor, table, car bonnet! etc..). Very easy to adjust the position of the skis from base to edge and it can hold 2 XC skis at the same time.

It’s very gripy and can handle my rotobrush.

Highly recommend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks pretty interesting , no UK dealers ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spoon wrote:
I have a set and I’m selling my old Swix table because the Mr Gripy is so versatile.

The versatility also interests me, as we have both skis and a board to service. Does it look like it would cope with both?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Spoon wrote:

The versatility also interests me, as we have both skis and a board to service. Does it look like it would cope with both?

I don’t own a snowboard so I can’t test if it’s stable enough (especially doing the edges) but I don’t see why it won’t work if you take care.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm interested... where do you buy it?

Seems pricey for what it is. I wonder how long they have a patent for...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would it be possible to saw a slot out of these and save €97?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/bathroom-stools-benches/f%C3%B6rsiktig-childrens-stool-white-green-art-60248418/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks a neat design, perfect for going on an existing workbench/table. Pricey, yes, but that's only like everything in Norway ;o)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For less money:

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/vices-benches-retainers/kunzmann-profi-3-piece-ski-vice-detail.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringingmaster wrote:
For less money:

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/vices-benches-retainers/kunzmann-profi-3-piece-ski-vice-detail.html

Thanks, but we don't have anywhere to attach vices.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
For even less money

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@geoffers, looks nice but why angled and not just vertical?
snow report
Quote:
why angled and not just vertical?

I think I saw a similar design on the web somewhere, and it's actually a bit easier to sharpen the edges this way ...

More pics here, with refinements to stop the ski moving when scraping etc
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:

OK, time to dust off this topic from earlier in the year as winter is approaching.

Do people use a workmate for servicing skis and boards? If so, are there any issues with the tips and tails not being supported?

I've now got a rather lovely false boot that my mum has made out of wood for me, which should hold the skis steady for both waxing and sharpening. My only concern is that they will only be supported at the bindings.

In terms of the snowboard, I'm thinking that it could maybe just be clamped in the workmate for sharpening? Or do I need to do something more clever, such as making something that bolts onto into the binding holes?

I guess I should get on and by a workmate soon? Very Happy
snow report
@sugarmoma666, I made my own out of a keyboard stand and wood. Works a treat.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3130149&highlight=bench#3130149

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-10-19 19:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It's Mr Grippy, for goodness' sake. Mr Gripy is what my OH was, when I suggested it was time for him to do a bit of ski tech work on our skis (out in the cold...…)! He used a kind of bodged-together arrangement on a Workmate, which was fine.
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:
For even less money

I like that setup, looks very neat.

Also I find it easier to load my edge file with the skis at an angle like that.
snow report
I use 2 of these table clamping vices, £13 each. Rubber jaws, swivels to any angle.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-angle-vice-50mm/1678v
latest report
king key wrote:
I use 2 of these table clamping vices, £13 each. Rubber jaws, swivels to any angle.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-angle-vice-50mm/1678v

But what do you attach it to?
latest report
The edge of my bench in the garage or to the kitchen worktop (if the missus isn't present!). When on holiday I've used whatever table is in the room or even the balcony handrail.
snow report
Quote:

to the kitchen worktop (if the missus isn't present!)

Laughing
snow conditions
Ive bolted vises to a length of wood and just put that across a couple of chairs.

Also clamped them to the hood of the truck but wouldn’t recommend that if you have a shiny car
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy