Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel - Salzburg or Munich? Transfer advice also!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm going to Kitzbuhel next February and haven't yet booked flights/transfers. There will be 11 of us flying in, and I'm not sure whether to go for Munich or Salzburg. Transfers seem to be about £100 from both airports, Salzburg is about £35 cheaper to fly in to but you have to go from Gatwick which is a bit more of a pain to get to. Any opinions on which airport is best?

Also this is my first time organising transfers, previously I've just hired cars but only for 4-5 people so could just get one car. I've not done anything for a larger group before - does that price seem reasonable?

Any help much appreciated so I don't balls it up for everyone!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pastorius, Salzburg is nearer, but the journey is not motorway so can take over an hour. Munich is more like two hours, but heavily traffic dependent. Other than that Salzburg is a small airport and crowded on Saturdays in winter. Munich is a large airport with lots of shopping and dining if that's your thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
train from Innsbruck if flying into innsbruck is an option?
wee wee easy to get to innsbruck train station from the airport. Prob save a lot of money as well if you dont need cars.
Munich can be a PITA for traffic.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not that bothered by the standard of the airports, more practicalities in getting to Kitz. I think I'd ruled out Innsbruck because BA don't fly there but I will revisit it - if the train is easy it will save a lot of money on transfers!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pastorius, you can get the train from Munich airport too, and from Salzburg airport it's a short bus ride to the station, then a direct train to Kitzbühel. It's definitely not the fastest option, but likely to be cheaper than a taxi transfer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pastorius, Munich and a pre booked coach transfer, 4 seasons are recommended. They know the back roads. IME you pay a premium to fly into SZB and i'd rather fly scheduled via Lufthansa.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pastorius, I would very much recommend against getting the train from Munich airport, especially for a group. Getting to Kitzbühel (where the stations are in the middle of the town) involves taking an S bahn into town, from where there are either 2 or 3 changes needed to get to Kitzbühel. From Salzburg there are direct trains (need to get a bus from airport to train station). Innsbruck one change again with bus or sbahn from airport to train station.

Personally I would say transfer from Munich best option though Salzburg pretty similar. Salzburg is a much smaller airport so there is slightly more risk of weather problems but probably less people so less queues. Innsbruck is well known for weather issues. The drive to and from Munich can be slow but local knowledge can avoid the worst bits. Salzburg less traffic but slightly higher risk of weather problems on the roads (rare). Drive from Innsbruck easiest as likely to be going against the traffic most of the way.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pastorius wrote:
I'm not that bothered by the standard of the airports, more practicalities in getting to Kitz. I think I'd ruled out Innsbruck because BA don't fly there but I will revisit it - if the train is easy it will save a lot of money on transfers!

not sure where you are based but..
BA2690 from LGW
BA0684 from LHR
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You may want to check BA again.. Schedule says
twice a day to innsbruck from LHR & 1 a day from Gatwick.
Also speak to Group Bookings
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

i'd rather fly scheduled via Lufthansa.

+1 - all but given up on BA
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Munich 2 1/2 hour transfer at least.
Salzburg 1 hour.
No brainer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2,5h from Munich without traffic. Some years ago I drove to Mayrhoffen via Zalzburg and Rosenheim, traffic was +- OK, we were moving. Week later chose to drive via Munich back home and I remember even 40km past Munich traffic was standing opposite direction to where I was driving.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chick, I think you are being a bit too pessimistic about Munich and too optimistic about Salzburg. I live on the east side of Munich and with clear roads can be in Kitzbühel in under 90 minutes. Clearly on peak Saturdays it takes longer to get there and on peak Sunday evenings longer to get back. With Salzburg if you go via Lofer and the roads are quiet with no weather issues you might just about do it in an hour or so. If you go via the autobahn it is much the same as from Munich.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kizbuhel to Salzburg airport 73km.
Kizbuhel to Munich airport 155 km.
For me it's Salzburg every time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chick, yes but.... large parts of the autobahn in Germany have no speed limits whereas the direct route via Lofer is pretty slow. I agree the lack of speed limits is not much use if the autobahn is full of traffic.
latest report
Chick wrote:
Kizbuhel to Salzburg airport 73km.
Kizbuhel to Munich airport 155 km.
For me it's Salzburg every time.
Have done Munich (Schwabing) to Kirchberg in 1 hour 20 mins* Don't think that would be possible from Salzburg.

*5:30AM, late in the season & not entirely legal, but still not bad
snow conditions
Salzburg.
latest report
For transfer from Salzburg to Kitzbuhel try Andi's taxi shuttle. They are based in Kitzbuhel
snow conditions
I've gone for Munich! The flights worked out cheaper and better times from Heathrow to Munich. Now, my next dilemma, to hire a 9 seater or go for transfers...
latest report
@Pastorius

This site is great — you will get the best prices. snowHead

www.findtransfers.com
snow report
@Pastorius, I found a car useful as there are a few lesser known gems a short drive from Kitzbuhel. However, I went when the Ski Welt was closed so I'm not sure whether the ability to find alternative slopes is so relevant in your case.
Also if members of your group are having lessons, they'll not be able to travel about.

Just go for the cheapest option I guess.
ski holidays
@Pastorius, go for transfers. You might be lucky but the queues at the hire car desk can be very long, which is never good especially with a large group having to hang around. The transfer drivers also know the best routes for traffic and no issue whatever the weather.
latest report
We were looking at options and will probably fly into Munich mainly because of the number of flights. It means you can get a full weekend skiing in arriving late on Thursday and leaving late on Sunday.
ski holidays
I would hire a van and a second car if you wish to save money. Though 11 in Kitzbühel would suggest minimising spend is happily not a concern. You can rent a nine seater van for £350 for a week from MUC, and a large car for £225. You do need to have two sober party members, petrol, and vignettes (depending on route) to add. So possibly £1,100 for return transfers is reasonable. You also don’t need to concern yourself with the Tirolean fascistic approach to speed control....
latest report
Quote:
You might be lucky but the queues at the hire car desk can be very long

I go through Munich quite a lot and I have learned to avoid Avis and Buchbinder/Global as they have by far the longest waits. If a BA flight has just offloaded and everyone has gone for the Avis option then it can be an hour. Sixt always look like they have available staff so if you can get the right deal I suggest Sixt. Definitely send the driver(s) ahead while waiting for the luggage to get the paperwork started (as long as they know which bags to pick off the belt!)

11 is a bit of an awkward number for a transfer. Maybe chuck a few on the train and the rest via hired mini bus.
snow report
Poogle wrote:
@Pastorius

This site is great — you will get the best prices. snowHead

www.findtransfers.com

Getting some great prices on here - €480 for a return 8 person minivan Munich to Kitzbuhel!
latest report
That’s great prices. I have struggled to find relatively cheap accommodation for a weekend trip to Kitzbuhel at the end of Jan. any suggestions welcome
ski holidays
FrediKanoute wrote:
That’s great prices. I have struggled to find relatively cheap accommodation for a weekend trip to Kitzbuhel at the end of Jan. any suggestions welcome

Google Maps, then search for "hotels", "apartments", "pension" etc. Inc using relevant German words. You will see lots of little red dots, and try each one. Often small places do not have any much of a presence, apart from this.

Same goes for trying the local Tourist Office; again, many smaller folks just list here.

General internet search with keys words. Try Austrian Google, maybe even with a VPN.

AirBnB etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FrediKanoute, have a look at Kirchberg, it is usually a bit cheaper than Kitzbühel and has equally good access to the skiing. Another possibility is Brixen, I know it is part of SkiWelt not Kitzbühel but there is the link at KiWest and there are buses up and down the valley. Brixen better for apres than Kirchberg. Slightly further away but again easy by bus or even train (direct to the Hahnenkamm valley station) is St Johann in Tirol.

I presume you are not looking the same weekend as the Hahnenkamm race? The other thing to bear in mind is that owners are often reluctant to book anything but full weeks this far in advance. Out side of peak periods if you wait until nearer the time you should be able to find places.
ski holidays
We (10 people) got the train from Munich to Kitzbühel last Feb.

Straightforward enough... half hour to München Ost, then an hour to Wörgl, then another half hour to Kitzbühel, with 10 mins between trains. Just enough time on the train to Wörgl to get some lunch and have a beer while enjoying the views and letting the train driver worry about the driving.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy