Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy a new helmet this season and wondered what people’s opinions of helmets with integral visors are? I’m not a big fan of goggles you may have guessed!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also interested. I get freezing fog at my home area, a royal pain. Wondering if these solve that. I've spoken to a few folks who have them; for some reason they've all been 70+ but they all love 'em.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a cebe fireball.
I hate goggles.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So you like?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've an Alpina one and can only wear glasses. I don't mind goggles, but visor helmets are so much better. Much much less fogging up. It can still happen though. Field of view is fantastic and the main benefit for me. Surprisingly windy at speed and hence sometimes cold and noisier. Lots of threads on this.

Edit to add I'm not 70 Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frenchie wrote:
So you like?

I dont like wearing sunglasses!
But at least a visor does not restrict my viewing angle.
I rarely cover my peepers. Only when i got no choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a giro one and husband a salomon. Both of us wear glasses and much better than goggles.

Yes would recommend
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally, I would never buy one, but each to the their own and all that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frenchie, Pre-Brexit I would say that helmets with visors are positively underestimated!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 4-10-19 5:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I switched to a visor helmet and would never go back to goggles. I am sure that within 10 years goggles will look as outdated on skiers as they do today on motorcyclists. (Not that there's anything wrong with being a bit retro, of course.) Goggles came about as a necessity in an era of woolly hats, and now most of us wear helmets, hence visors make sense.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very impressed with the one I got from Decathlon (Around £75?) . Option of an alternative 'fog' visor too (£15?). No more balancing goggles on helmet. No possibility of dropping/losing goggles. Sunny day option of visor up + sunglasses. The helmet itself is a bit bigger than a standard helmet though and is a tighter fit in some bags.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have had one for a couple of years, only drawbacks I find are the wind noise at speed but that's not seriously irritating. The other thing is that you need to be careful throwing it on a table or whatever when you take it off as the visors themselves can be very expensive to replace. I got a sinner helmet in an amazon sale but one year later the cost of replacing the visor was more than what I paid for the helmet in the beginning, although I did upgrade to one that changes with the light sensitive (photochromic ?) material. As I remember the standard visor was about 40€, the light sensing one was 100€.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have them for our 5 and 8 YO kids. Converted from the normal helmet/goggles combo last season and would not go back. Great as no longer having to look for lost goggles in the morning and more importantly they tend to wear the visor when in lessons as opposed to having the goggles on helmet or dangling behind them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's sunny, then sunglasses are superior to goggles or visors.

Visor helmets are utterly useless in a blizzard.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roguevfr wrote:
"If it's sunny, then sunglasses are superior to goggles or visors." Ageed preferably without helmet Laughing

Visor helmets are utterly useless in a blizzard.

"If it's sunny, then sunglasses are superior to goggles or visors." Agreed preferably without helmet Laughing

"Visor helmets are utterly useless in a blizzard" Why do you say that ? Sunglasses definitely are (useless in a blizzard that is) but I don't seem to remember any particular problem with the visor in a blizzard.
snow conditions
There's a reason goggles have a seal all the way round. If the snow is being blown then it gets inside the visor. Also, it's , much more difficult to change / carry a low light visor.
snow report
I suppose it depends what you like, really.
Visors don't work very well in powder, where snow blows up into the gap between the visor and your face. Maybe you can get visors which are closer fitting. Overall it looks like a growing trend though.

Quote:
If it's sunny, then sunglasses are superior to goggles or visors.
It's all personal choice, but I'm curious as to why you'd think that?
One pair of goggles with a photochromic lens means seems like a simpler solution. Plus sunglasses leave your skin unprotected, and you'll need something to close any gaps.
snow report
mitcva wrote:
I switched to a visor helmet and would never go back to goggles. I am sure that within 10 years goggles will look as outdated on skiers as they do today on motorcyclists. (Not that there's anything wrong with being a bit retro, of course.) Goggles came about as a necessity in an era of woolly hats, and now most of us wear helmets, hence visors make sense.

Never thought of it that way - the natural evolution of the ski helmet/goggle combo.

Though I find it hard to imagine a world dominated by skiers with visor helmets
latest report
Probably ok for piste stuff when it's not snowing, not so great in deeper snow.
snow conditions
@philwig, I agree its all personal choice on this stuff, but one reason sunglasses could be considered "superior in the sun" is that they are (in my experience anyway) available with darker lenses than goggles. I'm really photosensitive I guess, some days I have to put goggles over my shades (themselves, the darkest Oakley lens available) just to stay out there.
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
There's a reason goggles have a seal all the way round. If the snow is being blown then it gets inside the visor. Also, it's , much more difficult to change / carry a low light visor.

The sinner one that I have does have a foam seal type thing all the way round the lens. Not comparable to a a goggle seal I agree but I find any kind of goggle uncomfortable to be honest. Just a personal thing. The photochromic visor is pretty good, I would say it's more towards the low light end as on very sunny days I have worn sunglasses under it. The visor is called a Crystal Trans (but has not got that written on it Laughing )
latest report
Was coming on here to post exactly this question!! Seems people are fans then?

That said there’s nothing really wrong with my goggles tbh but it’s one less thing to carry so I’m interested for that reason alone Laughing
snow report
https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/helmets/trials_helmets/acerbis_trials_helmets/acerbis_jet_aria_trials_helmets/acerbis_jet_aria_black_trials_helmet?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_6dk46H5QIVh63tCh2LAwKtEAQYASABEgKkEvD_BwE

Something of a comparable usage profile but cost doesn't appear to be elevated for good levels of protection in that market sector.
snow conditions
Visors seem to attract fewer scratches as well - my son (12) has had a Cebe fireball visor helmet for 2-3 years now (about 100 ski days) and only has one minor scratch on it. In contrast he and his sister seem to sandpaper their goggles.

He’s never had any problems in blizzards, nor skiing at very high speed, nor in bright light. In fact, I’ve never heard any complaints at all in any conditions. The only problem its not rated for racing.

We also realised it’s cheaper than a helmet goggle combo.
latest report
I've scratched mine... took it off on the ski bus and it caught on some skis. Now have bag to put it in.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
Visors seem to attract fewer scratches as well - my son (12) has had a Cebe fireball visor helmet for 2-3 years now (about 100 ski days) and only has one minor scratch on it. In contrast he and his sister seem to sandpaper their goggles.

He’s never had any problems in blizzards, nor skiing at very high speed, nor in bright light. In fact, I’ve never heard any complaints at all in any conditions. The only problem its not rated for racing.

We also realised it’s cheaper than a helmet goggle combo.

Totally agree with your points - we also have the same Cebe and a Salomon equivalent and kids love them. We have the orange lenes (level 2?) which seems to work well as an all-rounder lens for children. We always pack them in a cloth bag when transporting in the back of car.
snow conditions
Other than regarding the latest Fortnite game, I wouldn't really class children to give a particularly in depth assessment of any particular item.

" S'ok" doesn't really cut it for me as a review.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy