Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort similar to corvara

Poster: A snowHead
It's that time of the year - my research for the next ski destination has begun and would love to get the help some of the wisdom and experience here.

I went to Alta Badia last year - stayed in La Villa but crossed to Corvara every day. We absolutely loved that resort (I'm a big fan of long cruising blues) and I'm looking to go somewhere similar this year. If you've been to Alta Badia / Corvara where would you say is similar? I'm looking for an apartment or hotel close to the slopes (ideally ski in/out) with a spa.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love Corvara too. I've also enjoyed Montgenevre, La Clusaz and Val Cenis among others.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at:

La Plagne, Les Saisies, Megeve, Courchevel or Montgenevre in France

The SkiWelt in Austria (though quite a few of the resort runs are steepish)

Alpe di Siusi in Italy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@denfinella, @Rcav, Thanks for the tips - interesting that Montgenevre keeps coming up (even in past posts). I'm curious to try it but a bit worried about the slow lifts - did they have much of an impact for you?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
@denfinella, @Rcav, Thanks for the tips - interesting that Montgenevre keeps coming up (even in past posts). I'm curious to try it but a bit worried about the slow lifts - did they have much of an impact for you?

I didn't notice the lifts being particularly slow. But then I enjoy having a bit of a rest between slopes!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rcav, Haha - that's a very good point!! didn't think of that - suddenly slow lifts sound like a blessing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How does Serre Chevalier compare? Has anyone been to both Corvara and Serre?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
How does Serre Chevalier compare? Has anyone been to both Corvara and Serre?
Yes. Compares rather well, I would say. Lots of mellow runs available.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah that’s great to know! Think I’ll try it out
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach would be ideal. Montgenevre has a few decent runs but having been to both (montg from sauze doulx) a couple of times recently I wouldn't ever consider it as good as the Alta Badia/La Villa/ San Cassiano area for blue runs and lifts. Montg would be cheaper but if you have been to La Villa I am assuming Saalbach would be within your price range
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It seems like Saalbach struggles with Snow sometimes. I’m not sure if I should go ahead and book now or wait till December - I usually go the week after ny. 4th Jan
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Covara and Sallbach are very differend places when it comes to the "town",
Covara is a nice quiet area - Sallbach is a dense village with a lot of drinking places and packed afterskiing.

Both are nice skiing places but be aware they are very different in the "village".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@karen_globalhelpswap, that part of the Tirol / Salzburgerland has a better snow record than the Dolomites. Saalbach also has a very comprehensive snow making set up. All that said there have been seasons recently when the snow doesnt turn up until mid January so there is an element of risk though that applies pretty much anywhere. There is an issue with the number of south facing slopes in S-H, however that is not relevant in January. Storms are more likely to be relevant and S-H does have a good amount of skiing amongst the trees, which is the best place to be in poor weather.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@karen_globalhelpswap, I spend the whole season in Saalbach (number 4 in the league table of the world’s most visited resorts), and last Christmas was our 13th consecutive Christmas there. We have always skied on Christmas Day and only twice in those 13 years has the amount of skiing felt limited. Even in those poor seasons (when early conditions were poor right across the Alps), you could ski all the way down to the village centre, and the long-awaited big dump arrived just after Christmas.
The resort officially opens at the beginning of December, although there is often enough snow (the first big dump tends to arrive any time during November or early December) for part of the ski area to be opened during the last two weekends of November. The whole 270km is normally fully open by the middle of December, and the two weeks before Christmas often offer idyllic skiing on perfectly prepared, relatively empty pistes.
The season before last was supposed to be the worst for early snow in living memory, right across the Alps. We arrived in Saalbach on 10th December to find at least 150km of skiing available, all links between the villages of the Ski Circus open, and all pistes down to the village open. This was achieved through the extensive snow-making infrastructure, in which the resort has invested millions of euros. Holiday-makers were being bussed into Saalbach from neighbouring resorts, like Zell am See and Maria Alm, which we’re suffering through lack of snow.
As @munich_irish, has touched upon, early January can often be a time of the season when high resorts may be affected by extreme cold, white-outs and blizzards. It may not be a bad idea to prioritise good snow-making and forested slopes.
Although of limited relevance to a holiday in January, I would just add a few words about the snow reliability of Saalbach generally through the season. The resort is open from the beginning of December until around mid-April, and it has a good snow record. It closes when the supply of people dwindles, rather than the supply of snow.
During December and January, the more exposed, lower, south-facing slopes are protected from the weak sun for most of the day by being in the shade of the mountain range that runs east to west along the south side of the main valley. Consequently the lower slopes and nursery areas tend to be maintained in excellent condition.
Later in the season, the sun is higher in the sky and more powerful. When the weather is mild and the sky is blue, it can turn south-facing slopes to “porridge” during the afternoon (before it freezes again at night). This applies to all ski resorts that have south-facing slopes, and altitude does not necessarily save them from it (some of the worst “slushy” conditions I recall having experienced have been in resorts like Verbier, Alpe d’Huez, Les Menuires, and Val d’Isere).
All it really means is that during the late season - normally from mid-March onwards, it pays to plan your day so as to take advantage of the good skiing on south-facing slopes during the morning (before they get too soft), and the north/west-facing slopes in the afternoon.
In Saalbach approximately half the slopes are south-facing. That means that you still have plenty of slopes that are sheltered from the intensity of the sun. The skiing in Leogang and Fieberbrunn is particularly attractive in late season, as are the north-facing slopes of the main Glemm valley.
From this season the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun (only half an hour down the road) will also be included in the lift pass. (You will also be able to ski to Kaprun using a combination of gondolas and ski buses).
It perhaps should be added that cold snaps and fresh snow are also normal in late season. In the last two seasons the best times to ski in Saalbach have been mid-December, mid-January, mid-March and early April.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 30-09-19 17:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been to Corvara twice and to Saalbach twice. Overall the slopes at Saalbach are steeper than in Alta badia. Our trips to Saalbach were in early March and apart from first thing in the morning, I found the snow too soft, on the slopes I skied. Saalbach does have a few runs that are similar in steepness to ALta Badia but not many. A lot of the blues were quite a bit steeper than blues in Alta Badia. Only other places I've skied where the slopes are similar in gradient (to Alta Badia) are: Alpe Di Siusi and the Plan De Grabla area in Val gardena
snow conditions
Lech-Oberlech-Warth
latest report
@jimmybog, I’m genuinely surprised to hear you say that you found the snow too soft in early March! (Although much does depend on the weather, and lightning - or at least anticyclones - does/do sometimes strike twice in the same place).
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@jimmybog, I’m genuinely surprised to hear you say that you found the snow too soft in early March! (Although much does depend on the weather, and lightning - or at least anticyclones - does/do sometimes strike twice in the same place).

Richard, I'm afraid we did find it bit too soft. These were mainly on the two blues from mid station of Kohlmaisbahn; blue from Reiterkogel down to hasenauer chair, parts of the blue from top of Hasenauer to Hochalm area. Any of the flatter runs were fine but anything steeper was soft from 11am onwards. On one day even the North facing blues at HInterglemm (Bergfriedlift etc) were also soft. Blues from top of Schattberg Ost down to SImalalm were fine. Seems like we were just unlucky on our two trips, as it did seem a bit warm for the snow, though excellent for chilling outside the huts in the sunshine. And I appreciate warm temperatures could happen anywhere in the Alps and at any time.
snow conditions
@jimmybog, As you say, it seems that you were unlucky on those two visits to have warm, sunny weather wink I imagine that it would have been the same in many other places. I never actually ski those lower, south-facing blues on the Kohlmais in the morning - generally heading upwards and onwards to other parts of the area, such as Leogang and Fieberbrunn. Virtually the only time I ever do them is at the end of the day, around 5.30pm, by which time they have been groomed and are crisping up.
ski holidays
this may sound glib but how about colfosco? i know its next door to corvara, but there are some nice hotels on the piste and you're just that bit closer to VG. We're on holiday no6 to alta badia and moved from corvara to colfosco and it give us a difference vibe. i've also looked closely at oberturn too. but cant face leaving the dollies
snow conditions
Or Canazei, for a little variety?
ski holidays
Daft question, but if you loved Corvara why not go back?

We are going there for the first time this season so just curious if there’s any reason you don’t want to return?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy